1900x1200 too much for a 17" laptop?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
The dell laptops have the option to upgrade the 1440 screen res to 1900x1200. This is the res I run my big 24" screen at home on but im wondering is paying the extra £100 worth having the extra resolution?

Depends what you use it for, if you do image editing its well worth it, all those photoshop panels take up lots of desktop space, the extra res lets you maintain a reasonable sized editing area while still having access to the tools you need.

depends on your eyesight really... I'm a screen size junkie, and really used to very high res displays, I'd suggest that if you're used to it, then go for the extra res - I find myself almost never using my laptop just because I can't live with the smaller res than my desktop pc...

I'll use it for photo work, hopefully both photoshop and premiere. I do like high resolutions but im just wondering if tis worth the extra £100

My laptop supports this high res., but I find unless I am using Lightroom then I am all too often using 1600 x 1200 (stretched).

In Lightroom 1920 x 1200 is just fantastic; I'd say go for it.

I've seen 15.4" laptops with that res, 5 years ago !

It'll be fine once you are used to it.

I use that res on my HP Workstation 17in laptop. Works great but do occasionally find pictures, videos a little small. On balance I think it would work better on the next size up but it is perfectly useable and don't find text a problem.

I have a dell Studio 17 with the 1440 x 900 and I am more than happy with it.. am sure the 1900 x 1200 gives more space but I think it may be a little small for me

That it the native resolution of new 17" macbook pros and was an option on the previous ones. I use that resolution all the time. The only time it causes any problems is when you are viewing a video on the internet on something like iPlayer as they are rather small but the Macbook has a zoom option. Basically I would pay extra for that resolution (I did because when I bought mine it was a cost option!).

Guess I will then, just need to get some money from a couple josb and then order my new toy.

You will not regret it, the extra screen real estate is worth it. Dell stuff is usually pretty good. Are there any graphic options, if so I would get the best option as the resolution is rather high for a run of the mill graphics card if you are doing anything special. The 8600GT in the previous Macbook pro is enough so something like that or better. With this being a Windows machine it will probably be that level so you should be ok.

Tbere is a 512mb dedicated gfx card, something like a 9800gs

That'll be fine then. Should be a good laptop. I enjoy my 17" 1920x1200 laptop (y) so much that it probably get five times the use of my mac pro!

The fonts will be too small; hence, why it is perfect if you're doing any photo-management and editing.

I use a lesser resolution for when typing, surfing and general computer stuff; but when in Lightroom I'm off to ultra high-res., which gives me all the real-estate I need.

Cowasaki is to blame for me having a 17" MacBook Pro.; and I have to admit, once I've played with this for a few seconds .. there's no going back.

Cowasaki is to blame for me having a 17" MacBook Pro.; and I have to admit, once I've played with this for a few seconds .. there's no going back.

(y)

I want a 19" 2640x1600 resolution laptop now :bonk:

:LOL:

I think you can hack yourself a good portable power-source for a 24" iMac :shrug: .. while you're at it, make one for me too, please :p

I have a Dell Latitude with that resolution, and I have to say it is awesome. I love using it.

Go for it.

I think you can hack yourself a good portable power-source for a 24" iMac :shrug: .. while you're at it, make one for me too, please :p

Slight problem! 24" iMac has the SAME resolution as our laptops which have the highest resolution of any commercial panel yet. A 19" lugable laptop with the same resolution as a 30" panel would be great and give 70% greater real estate..... Oh well.... At the moment all I want is another camera body :LOL:

build it into the back of the car, power, weather proof and will keep the sun off the screen :D

Slight problem! 24" iMac has the SAME resolution as our laptops which have the highest resolution of any commercial panel yet. A 19" lugable laptop with the same resolution as a 30" panel would be great and give 70% greater real estate..... Oh well.... At the moment all I want is another camera body :LOL:

Didn't Osborn make a nice portable PC computer that needed a power source?

I am sure we can see something like that for Mac, with your hacking skills?

build it into the back of the car, power, weather proof and will keep the sun off the screen :D

I'm all for it .. seriously, I am. It's things like this that bring advances in technology ... aah, the good old days:geek:

I would never get the car up the stairs into my bedroom :(

You have to think outside the box; instead of taking the car up to your bedroom, take your bedroom to the car :LOL: and problem solved.

I'm currently running 1900*1200 on my 17" Widescreen> No problems with it and can make everything out ok. I would say its worth the extra resolution.

Back