1D Mk 3 / 7D

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone able to tell me how the 1D mark 3 compares to the 7D in low light sports photography?

I am finding the 7d extremely noisy at anything past about 400 iso on a Saturday afternoon and wondered if the mk 3 even though it is older spec has cleaner images

Thanks in advance

i have a mark II and regularly go past 400 without any problems. Ive used mark III's in the past and they are better than my II on the noise front.

Might be worth getting the 7D checked out, I don't experience significant noise with a 7D shooting sports till around ISO1600 and even that can be easily fixed in post production in the range 1600 - 3200.

When you say noisy, where are the images destined for? Newsprint will significantly reduce noise if it's for publication.

I've used the 7D at 6400 under floodlights with passable results, but it depends on how fussy you are. Personally I don't have a problem with seeing some noise in low light sports photos.

DemiLion said:
When you say noisy, where are the images destined for? Newsprint will significantly reduce noise if it's for publication.

I've used the 7D at 6400 under floodlights with passable results, but it depends on how fussy you are. Personally I don't have a problem with seeing some noise in low light sports photos.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 1D will only go to 6400 producing similar noise to the 7D at 12,800. How you expose the frame will also make a huge difference.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 1D will only go to 6400 producing similar noise to the 7D at 12,800. How you expose the frame will also make a huge difference.

Am I right in thinking the advice is to always over expose and then adjust if necessary in PP?
I also think with my 70-200 f2.8 I may be optimistic with my cropping

While the 7D has a better low light capability on paper, I wouldn't discount the 1D3 which shoots pretty well at ISO3200 and 6400. Do remember that the 1D series is built to tighter tolerances so you can expect performance out of the top drawer. As DemiLion said above, it also depends on how you expose the shot.

I took the picture below at 3200 in candlelight. It was in a chapel and there was a spotlight some distance away.

ChoirnCandles3.jpg

It was good enough to make it's way onto a college Christmas card :)

How much is too much? i.e. see the photo below.

I know it's small so you may not get a perfect idea of noise but this was at 1600 on a 1D3.

p827862879-5.jpg

There's a very good (well 4) example of the 7D in action at high ISO (3200) in the Sports forum, posted yesterday evening -footy Someone v Someone else, 4 goalie shots.

No linky- on iPad!

Back