1D MK111 & !DS MK111 RECALL LINK

At least you'll get a free sensor clean!

Was going to send mine in for calibration anyway as I need +10 micro adjustment on all my lenses so I will phone CPS
and see what the score is.

I want to get mine checked, but i'm in Spain so will have to check with Canon as both were purchased in UK. :shrug:

registered mine, another check cant hurt :) although im reasonably happy with mine, it does miss the odd shot.

exactly what I was thinking :)

Well, I'm registered - can't hurt - but disappointing to have a factory recall on a 3 week old camera!
Mike

I think it says only if you are having problems.

I had my first real go with a new Mk3 on Sunday (popping at a few owls with Ian and Joe) and came back a little disappointed. I put it down to inexperience with the new body but the hit rate was a long way from what I would have got with my Mk2. Perhaps it's a bit of both :shrug:

Bob

I was having AF issues with mine a few weeks back, took it to Elstree and its been fine ever since, so not sure whether to bother or not. I'll give CPS a call to discuss it as I don't really know what was changed last time, all it said was AF recalibration.

I had my first real go with a new Mk3 on Sunday (popping at a few owls with Ian and Joe) and came back a little disappointed. I put it down to inexperience with the new body but the hit rate was a long way from what I would have got with my Mk2. Perhaps it's a bit of both :shrug:

Bob

I did a comparison between my hit rates with the Mkii MkIII just before the end of the year. Not very scientific but purely calculating the percentage in acceptable focus for both cameras at different events. To be honest there was nothing between them which was in some ways disappointing as I'd hoped the MkIII would come out on top.

I think it says only if you are having problems.

I've registered mine via the web page, although the (barely comprehensible) person I spoke to told me that I should only contact them if I was having problems. The way I read the wording of the recall is that Canon are trying to downplay the issue a little.

I thought that I'd see about giving it a go anyway, thinking about possible re-sale values etc.

It's driven a friend of mine to swop to the Dark side, he picks up a new Nikon D3 FX, 300mm and 500mm primes on Monday, all his canon gear traded in.

Hmmm, have they done it for the Ds 3 as well? only just seen this thread. Surely the same settings will apply! Glad to see you've joined Ians owl club, Bob!!

I see there are firmware updates as well
Canon EOS-1D Mark III firmware v1.2.5
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III firmware v1.1.4

But I suspect Canon will do this at the same time.

I'd seen that Bob, it's actually quite interesting. The only thing is it would be much more useful as a downloadable pdf file, a lot easier to print!

but I guess that's Canon for you.

cheers
Bill

PDF I don't know if the information is identical but it is along similar lines.

mines going in Tuesday so fingers crossed this will finally resolve the concerns over AF, not that mine has been terrible, but it does make me question every missed shot !

Is yours one of the ones which had a "questionable" serial number originally? Mine isn't and I haven't had time to register yet and was wondering if they'd reject it.

I was phoned today and offered Tuesday but I can't wait in on Tuesday so it's Wednesday for me. Mine was manufactured last September so it is well clear of all the original problems. The rep seemed quite keen that it should go in, even though I hadn't had any issues up to the moment of the phone call.

However, I did go out shooting AI Servo stuff today, specifically on off-centre points and I must say my results were not as good as usual - normally I use centre + expansion points - but I only got to review the shots after I'd already booked the camera in. Turnaround time should be one week from pickup to return back to me. I think it was the right choice to send it in. I'd far rather know if it was good, or bad but fixed, rather than just be left wondering.

I was phoned today and offered Tuesday but I can't wait in on Tuesday so it's Wednesday for me. Mine was manufactured last September so it is well clear of all the original problems. The rep seemed quite keen that it should go in, even though I hadn't had any issues up to the moment of the phone call.

However, I did go out shooting AI Servo stuff today, specifically on off-centre points and I must say my results were not as good as usual - normally I use centre + expansion points - but I only got to review the shots after I'd already booked the camera in. Turnaround time should be one week from pickup to return back to me. I think it was the right choice to send it in. I'd far rather know if it was good, or bad but fixed, rather than just be left wondering.

Same reason I am sending mine in.
Also I have done some tests today with the other points and was not that impressed with the results compared to centre point plus assists......

Just got one thing to say......

nikon-d3-banner.jpg

:whistle:

that's a MkIII second isn't it? :p

Back