1D4 - C.FnIII Autofocus Drive

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know the difference between the 2 options in this Custom Function?

0: Main Focus Point Priority

1: Continuous AF Track Priority

Im guessing the first one means it'll prioritise the focus point you've selected, where as the second one means if needs be it'll prioritise switching to another point not initially selected to maintain focus... Thats what ive always thought anyway

Could be. So if I use single point this doesn't come in to play but if I use expansion points then it comes in to play.

Anyone else got an idea?

You havent had much response from this.. I know why I have mine set.. But I can't be 100% sure mine is the right answer thus why I am not giving it.. when I got the camera I searched for best sports settings.. I have never and will never put myself forward as an expert on camera settings.. I know more than auto.. but the way some functions interact with others can be...erk? and I have seen different people with different answers as to what each does..

I would try a more wide reaching section of TP to ask the question as its not sport specific and you might get more answers

Dont know if this helps

With more than one AF point active, using either Automatic point selection or manual point selection with AF point expansion (C.Fn III -8-1/2/3) this Custom Function instructs the camera how to handle a second subject that may enter the focusing point area. In some situations you may want the camera to obtain focus on whatever the closest subject is you are tracking (C.Fn III -4-0). At other times, you may want the tracking to stay with the initial subject you focused on regardless of what else enters the focusing area even if it is closer than the initial subject (C.Fn III -4-1). This Custom Function will be totally disregarded if only one AF point has been selected.

There are two settings:

0: Main focus point priority – With this setting, the camera will focus on any subject that appears under the main focus point, even if it is closer than the subject that you were tracking.
1: Continuous AF track priority – As long as one of the expanded AF points can still detect the subject, the camera will continue to focus on it, even if there is a different subject covering the main, selected focus point.
Continuous AF track priority is effective for sports such as football or slalom skiing or anything where subjects are likely to enter the AF area in front of the subject being tracked. Football players often cross in front of each other, which can distract the AF system. If you are tracking a player with automatic AF point selection and another player cuts in front of your main subject to tackle him, the player in front could distract the autofocus. With automatic AF point selection, the camera will select a different autofocus point in order to maintain focus on the first target subject. If the player appearing in front of the first target is at almost the same distance as the first subject, the camera may not be able to distinguish the distance difference and might lose the target subject.

Dont know if this helps

With more than one AF point active, using either Automatic point selection or manual point selection with AF point expansion (C.Fn III -8-1/2/3) this Custom Function instructs the camera how to handle a second subject that may enter the focusing point area. In some situations you may want the camera to obtain focus on whatever the closest subject is you are tracking (C.Fn III -4-0). At other times, you may want the tracking to stay with the initial subject you focused on regardless of what else enters the focusing area even if it is closer than the initial subject (C.Fn III -4-1). This Custom Function will be totally disregarded if only one AF point has been selected.

There are two settings:

0: Main focus point priority – With this setting, the camera will focus on any subject that appears under the main focus point, even if it is closer than the subject that you were tracking.
1: Continuous AF track priority – As long as one of the expanded AF points can still detect the subject, the camera will continue to focus on it, even if there is a different subject covering the main, selected focus point.
Continuous AF track priority is effective for sports such as football or slalom skiing or anything where subjects are likely to enter the AF area in front of the subject being tracked. Football players often cross in front of each other, which can distract the AF system. If you are tracking a player with automatic AF point selection and another player cuts in front of your main subject to tackle him, the player in front could distract the autofocus. With automatic AF point selection, the camera will select a different autofocus point in order to maintain focus on the first target subject. If the player appearing in front of the first target is at almost the same distance as the first subject, the camera may not be able to distinguish the distance difference and might lose the target subject.

That cut and paste refers to the 7D by the way. I'm sure that it's fairly similar, but you might have mentioned it.

Thanks.

So as I read that if I have only one point selected then 1: Continuous AF Track Priority is redundant.

If using expansion points then 1: Continuous AF Track Priority may be the one (for football and rugby).

That cut and paste refers to the 7D by the way. I'm sure that it's fairly similar, but you might have mentioned it.

I think you'll find it came from here and is accurate. Maybe you'd be better checking before exercising your fingers!!

cpn.canon-europe.com/content/.../eos1d_markIV_custom_functions.do

Page 10

There are two settings:

Page 20 of the leaflet linked to by Demilion.

Canon can send you a printed version of the leaflet, well they sent me one after I had a phone call with them over focusing problems with my Mk IV

Back