1Ds Mark 2 or 5D?

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All

I am looking to upgrade from my 30d and use it as a backup body.

Looking to do mainly portrait and wedding as well as all round general photography, not looking for speed as the 30d is more than capable with 5fps

Dad has the 5d and love the low light capability but i like the 1series as well.

Could anyone recommend what i should do next, i have only done light research on both cameras but will be looking in more depth soon.

All help and links will be very much appreciated

Cheers

Dan :bonk:

I've just sold both and have shot weddings with them :)

And I've just bought D700's because the 5D is honestly not good in low light. The AF hunts, loses focus and it's noisy at ISO 1600 and above. The 1Ds has really good AF but is still noisy at ISO1600 and above. Both of them really need some decent glass being full frame to get the best out of them.

Hope that helps, just don't expect them to be kicking out noise free images at ISO 3200 :)

[S4]What Alison said[/S4]

Waiting on the arrival of my 24-70 L 2.8, 1600 ISO would be the max ISO i would like to go to, looks like it might be back to the drawing board, appreciate the advice any sugguestions on better body possibly, please note im still not ruling out the 5d or 1dsmrk2

People made do before the likes of the 1D3/4, D3, D700 etc.. you will still get cracking images out of the 1Ds/5d with some good glass... definitely compared to the 30D! :)

Thanks for advice i really hope the weddings and portraits i shoot wont be in the shadows or the odd cave :LOL: hopefully light wont be an issue

Whats the difference in price though, i suppose with the new 1Ds MarkIV a few 1d mark 3 will be floating about, hopingfully not going to go over £1500 for my next camera if not might even go for the 5dmark 2

I have both the 5D MkII but still much prefer the 1Ds MkII, not sure why but I always seem to get little extra something. If you are talking about the 5D MkI then it really isnt a touch IMHO to the IDs MkII. The 5D MkII has the latter processor and is better on noise and is lighter in the field work & trips where weight is an issue. The lens have purchased 24-70mm f2.8 is a cracking lens on both cameras as is all the L-Series glass. The IDs MKII more so than the 5D is intolerant of cheaper glass as was said earlier

At FOCUS you could get a 5D MKII at £1600 & ID MIII at £1500, they are still available if you push Callimet or Jacobs

Whats the difference in price though, i suppose with the new 1Ds MarkIV a few 1d mark 3 will be floating about, hopingfully not going to go over £1500 for my next camera if not might even go for the 5dmark 2

the mkII is an amazing low light camera but the 1 series have a massively superior AF system

Thanks for the advice, looking on ebay and again seeing the same sort of price, not sure i would like the non (s) 1d series, i wont need the speed of 8 or 9 fps of the 1dmark3 however i would very much like to try a 1dsmark 2 and i know somebody who has this. Thanks for the info Peter

the mkII is an amazing low light camera but the 1 series have a massively superior AF system

Oooo theres so much choice, im sure any of those camera with the 24 - 70 will be cracking, i just want something that will produce the high end sharp results with a good noise handling and light handling system (y)
Thanks for info

And I've just bought D700's because the 5D is honestly not good in low light. The AF hunts, loses focus and it's noisy at ISO 1600 and above. The 1Ds has really good AF but is still noisy at ISO1600 and above. Both of them really need some decent glass being full frame to get the best out of them.

Hope that helps, just don't expect them to be kicking out noise free images at ISO 3200 :)

But noise on a 5D still looks good. :)

It doesn't look bad so long as it's in focus! lol

Best quote from Ken Rockwell, "It doesn't matter if it's got good noise handling if it's out of focus!"

I've actually had some lovely almost buttery results with both cameras using ISO 1600 and been quite light on the noise reduction. But at ISO 1600 I've always had so use some sort of NR in the processing to get the best out of them and it's a pest having to run NR or the volume of images.

The reason I went to Nikon was to get the AF system from the 1Ds in a body that would shoot at ISO 3200. I had a budget of under £2K and could afford a 5DII but that would have left me with high ISO in the 5DII and great AF in the 1Ds. With the D700 I got it all in one body and in total the swap from Canon to Nikon cost me under my £2K budget. I also got all new lenses and 2 new flashes as part of that upgrade so all my gear is brand spanking new.

That was money well spent :)

How long did you struggle using the 5D for weddings for prior to moving to Nikon ?

OP - Where as there are lots of bodies with better AF and noise performance they all come with a price premium over the 5D / 1DsII, which until not too long ago was the weapon of choice for lots of wedding photographers .

I'd recommend the 1DsII having owned both previously (and neither now!)

It produces sublime images and became my camera of choice for over 2 years. Yes, at ISO1600 it produces slightly noisy images but they take NR well and you can certainly get good A3 prints from it if properly exposed. ISO3200 is a waste of time.

The only reason I got rid of the 1Ds was because I recently bought a 1DIV which offers similar resolution with a higher frame rate - something I wanted...

It doesn't look bad so long as it's in focus! lol

Best quote from Ken Rockwell, "It doesn't matter if it's got good noise handling if it's out of focus!"

I've actually had some lovely almost buttery results with both cameras using ISO 1600 and been quite light on the noise reduction. But at ISO 1600 I've always had so use some sort of NR in the processing to get the best out of them and it's a pest having to run NR or the volume of images.

The reason I went to Nikon was to get the AF system from the 1Ds in a body that would shoot at ISO 3200. I had a budget of under £2K and could afford a 5DII but that would have left me with high ISO in the 5DII and great AF in the 1Ds. With the D700 I got it all in one body and in total the swap from Canon to Nikon cost me under my £2K budget. I also got all new lenses and 2 new flashes as part of that upgrade so all my gear is brand spanking new.

That was money well spent :)

Yep, I'd do exactly the same if I could make my hands fit on a Nikon. I'm sure I'll make do for now though.. ;)

Well having said i wouldnt use the 1d mark 3 the price is roughly the same, again as ding76uk said is it good noise handling, problem is how good is it in low light, Yes 5D was weapon of choice ive heard so many people having used them and supposedly the 5dmark 2 wipes the floor with the 5D....so much choice, also i looked last night at the 1D series that were full frame but didnt look at the mark 3, i take it only the (s) versions are FF??

My Budget £1500
My Expectations = Good in low light and good or resonable ISO cover, i do have NR software

Well having said i wouldnt use the 1d mark 3 the price is roughly the same, again as ding76uk said is it good noise handling, problem is how good is it in low light, Yes 5D was weapon of choice ive heard so many people having used them and supposedly the 5dmark 2 wipes the floor with the 5D....so much choice, also i looked last night at the 1D series that were full frame but didnt look at the mark 3, i take it only the (s) versions are FF??

My Budget £1500
My Expectations = Good in low light and good or resonable ISO cover, i do have NR software

With that budget you show get a mint used 5D MKII - simples :) the IQ is quite simply stunning.

1Ds MkII over a 5D. 1Ds MkII and a 5D MkII is a much tougher choice.
On the weight issue, a 5D MkII with battery grip and a couple of batteries is not that far off of the 1Ds MkII.

What about 1D mk3 vs 5D2 mark?

it depends what your looking for in a body........

From the canaon 5D MKII press release

the EOS 5D Mark II achieves the highest level of image quality of any EOS Digital SLR released to date.

Hmmmm....i think i will upgrade to my last lens first and flashgun before i get the camera, im more than likely going to go with a 5d 2

Thanks for the support and info guys

1Ds mk2 is very capable, the AF is extremely good. It is really good for studio shots, and anything you can light up with flash. On its own ISO 1600 is very usable, but not silky smooth. ISO 3200 can be also cleaned up if well exposed. It is 16MP camera, not 8 or 10, - very sharp too. If large prints are needed then this is the one to have. It also depends if you prefer to have the 1.3x crop factor, and if you need the fps with good AF. 5D mk2 can't be beaten for landscapes and portability, no idea about AF.

the auto focus on the 5d is a pig so is the 1d 3 i borrowed one when the 5 d was in for repair. the 5d guy in canon said use a 2.8 lens there will be a big difference in low light.

also the centre af point is far better than any of the others

nik

the auto focus on the 5d is a pig so is the 1d 3 i borrowed one when the 5 d was in for repair. the 5d guy in canon said use a 2.8 lens there will be a big difference in low light.

also the centre af point is far better than any of the others

nik

1d3 is a pig to af ?

At FOCUS you could get a 5D MKII at £1600 & ID MIII at £1500, they are still available if you push Callimet or Jacobs

I tried pushing calumet today and they refused to offer to 5d mkii at Focus prices... said their hands are tied! :thinking:

Now looking at 1dmark 3 as was said to look at earlier, although i dont need the speed i prefer the larger screen and having the peace of mind that i can shoot 3200iso with usable image quality before any NR work is great. The 1dsmark 2 is still in the equation as again really good image quality with 16.7mp and a great AF system but what handles better ISO 1dsmark 2 or 1d mark 3 for the same price i would rather the 1dmark 3 :)

im in the market soon fora 5DII and the 1DIII that peeps are talking about here has got me thinking..

What are the pros and cons of each body? only really looked into the 5DII.

Again

Same dilemma as me, again and again im seeing great examples of ISO performance on the 1dMark3.

Just thinking the 1dmark3 is a big jump from a 30d when a 5dmark 2 would be suitable.

If anyone can list pros and cons would be appreciated

its getting used to a smaller screen again though, granted its full frame like the 5d and can cope with high iso but tbh im not to bothered about FF anyway so 1d mark 3 would also be sufficient.

I wouldn't suggest you to go for 1ds mk2 or 1d mk3, after 30d it is too much difference. I will soon cry about how heavy and bulky they are.

There is no question about that this 2 cameras are top class, it is just depends on whenever is this a hobby or a money earning camera.

5dmk2 will do all the job what 1ds and 1dm3 will do but its more compact a would say also a bit newish model. There will be plenty of settings and new functions to play with for you. Also the lenses you have will do a good job on 5mk2 and also will give you wider angle on 24-70.

Looking to take it as a money earning camera soon but its looking at what equipment do i need how much will it cost etc... although im not using this as a money making camera at the moment its alwasy better to be prepared. I do like all three, 1DM3 1DsM2 and the 5DM2 its just picking one :LOL: although going from a 30d to a 1d is a big jump in respect of differences on the bodies will it be worth the investment?
Thanks for all your help

Back