1st Attempt at Fireworks

Edit My Images
Yes
Here they are, any comments are welcome :)

More to come after work.

_B041609.jpg

_B041592.jpg

_B041584.jpg

DUD! Thought this would have looked awesome if I had of caught it :bang:

Had to follow it up with the tripod and hold it for this one as it was unexpected :LOL:

Dud.jpg

Good set mate,
I'm gonna have my first go tomorrow, weather permitting!

Mick

Best settings to use Bulb, F11, ISO 100, focus at infinity, cable release on a tripod. wait for the FW to start open your shutter, wait for just before the fizzle close your shutter, also if you can talk to the display piro team to give you an idea of how it goes so you can get prime position as in this shot so it looks as the bonfire is erupting

For more advanced shots, same settings, use a black card to cover the lens between FW, so as to get more than one FW on a shot the example below is 4 FW in one exposure using the black card to between each FW, 28 sec exposure (y) I also wiggled the card over the lower half of the lens, to stop the bonfire burning the shot out

4086418426_4b07e1770b_z.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Damn, that's a cracker Dave! Love the fact you get the complete picture with all the people. (y)

Cracking tips too!

Some good tips tips here I think that I shall go and get some heavy black card in the morning. I'm having a practice run tomorrow night as my first attempt at fireworks and then I have a display lined up for Saturday that I have already recced in daylight and picked my location. I plan on shooting from 100-150m back from the crowd to silhouette them in the bottom quarter of the frame against the fire and launching fireworks and then using the top 3/4 of frame for fireworks

I'm thinking of trying a pano of my local city on the tomorrow night to try and capture the fireworks. maybe a 30 second set of exposures.

Matt

Some lovely shots. What's the best lens to use for fireworks?

Some lovely shots. What's the best lens to use for fireworks?

I used my Sigma 18-50 F2.8 lens. I only zoomed in to lose the bonfire from the bottom third.

Tbh I think a telephoto lens is pointless, seeing what else is around is far more exciting as Dave has proven, and what a stunning shot it is too (y)

Would love to try this, nice shots.

Cheers, definitely have a go. It's good fun.

When they went off rapidly I had to drop to 1 second exposures to keep the fireworks to their set and colour :LOL:

I love the last shot Stephen, rule of thirds to a tee!

Good tips in this thread as well, will be out and about on Sunday, can't wait!

I remember that shot from last year, going to give it a try tonight... Got tripod ready, need to get some black card or something to cover the lens and going to use the Sony A350 with my Sigma 10-20mm will try it f/11 ISO-100 with 30sec exposure.

Only thing is setting focus to infinity... I best get reading...

Reading done... Going to manual focus and the move the focus ring to infinity. Is it as simple as that?

Last edited:
Some great shots there, Stephen

I missed out on our NYE fireworks this year.

Back