1st FX camera advice

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I have been debating getting a FX camera for a little while.
A friend who owes me some money has asked if I would be interested in a D3s in PX of what he owes me.
I would be wanting it for some low light shots and to give me a wider angle with some of my lenses etc.
any recommendations I had previously been debating a D750 as my 1st FX.

Just IMO but a D3 is going to be a huge lump of a camera with an older sensor, while a D750 will be much lighter and have a better sensor. The D3s was a great pro camera, but it's now a more than 9 year old design (released in 2009).

My suspicion is that a D750 would be more versatile, have wider dynamic range, better low-light capability and easier to carry, therefore a better choice.

I have a D700 (which I believe shares a sensor with the D3 - not sure about the D3s) and a D750. IMO the D750 is significantly better in low light than the D700. Dx lenses will still fit the Fx bodies and they (the bodies) can be set to automatically crop to Dx when Dx lenses are used.

If you can handle the size I’d go with the D3s. Plenty good enough dynamic range, fab in low light, wonderful colours.
It’d be my choice, and yes I’ve had D700 D750 D3 and D4

D3 has a different sensor from the D3s unless wikipedia is wrong.

Yep. It’s about a stop better in low light. Not owned one, but used one for a couple of events when one of my D700’s was in For repair.
D3S that is.

Last edited:
I more than happy with the D3 and my D700 for myFX needs in fact I’ve recently sold my D810 as I’m finding my Fuji XH1s more than meet my needs tbh
It’s a difficult choice as it’s rumoured “isn’t it always” it’s due to be replaced next year the D750 that is !
The only thing I don’t like these days is the weight of FX but my poor health doesn’t do me any favours there.
But given the choice I think I would go with your friends offer of the D3s if it’s in good working order and condition.

D4 same price as a decent D3s yet larger 16mp sensor, better iso and better all round camera...…….no contest really
But I doubt his friend will buy him a D4 or 4s to pay off his debt sadly

D750 is a brill camera. Great in low light, great d/r. D3 is also a great camera but as it has already been said d750 is lighter with a new sensor.

Ok sorry to be a Pain :(
As I Think I would mainly be wanting it for landscape and portrait.
Would I be best looking at a D800 ? I know @SFTPhotography suggested the 810 and 850 but they would be a bit expensive for me and for sports etc i already have my D500.

p.s. I have now declined his offer of the D3s he has said since it has had very heavy usage etc.

Last edited:
Ok sorry to be a Pain :(
As I Think I would mainly be wanting it for landscape and portrait.
Would I be best looking at a D800 ? I know @SFTPhotography suggested the 810 and 850 but they would be a bit expensive for me and for sports etc i already have my D500.

p.s. I have now declined his offer of the D3s he has said since it has had very heavy usage etc.

D800 is a fine camera with great resolution for landscape.

D800 is a fine camera with great resolution for landscape.

Agree - I still use mine now - the D810 is a bit crisper with the lack of AA filter and better AF but really the D800 £ for £ is the best camera you can buy. It totally moved the game on when it was released in 2012 and I use mine still and images I have taken with it have paid for the camera many times over and they will for years to come.

There's one here Pete, but it doesn't say how many actuations and the + button has some wear (which I'm sure will bother you ;)): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D-...h=item33fb9ec970:g:eAUAAOSw6X1cAXO4:rk:3:pf:0

erm yes it would bother me lol. you know me too well ;)

800E for no AA filter.

Another vote for a D800E (if you can find one), or a D810.

Ok If people are recommending the 800e and 810, if I was to jump the price that much, I would have to wait till next year and would probably get a new 810 for e-infinity or a similar company.
Is it really worth the jump in price for either of them ?
After looking at sites like MPB etc. and condition good + (I dont like well used) I can get a 800 for 600-700 a 800e £860+ and a 810 £1079+ at which point i may as well buy grey new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
Ok genuinely thanks all for the Advice I really appreciate it.
I have gone from the 750 to the 3s back to the 750 then the 800 then the 800e and 810
Then I looked at all the prices and contemplated how much I will use it to justify my spend which I honestly dont know.
And Now I have just clicked buy on a D800 and will see how I get on with it.
I figure I can always upgrade at a later point if I have the need too and this way I can never lose too much money trying it out. :)

Ok genuinely thanks all for the Advice I really appreciate it.
I have gone from the 750 to the 3s back to the 750 then the 800 then the 800e and 810
Then I looked at all the prices and contemplated how much I will use it to justify my spend which I honestly dont know.
And Now I have just clicked buy on a D800 and will see how I get on with it.
I figure I can always upgrade at a later point if I have the need too and this way I can never lose too much money trying it out. :)

I doubt you will regret the 'bang for bucks' in your D800 :)

All i will say is I have both the D800 and the D810 and to me the D810 is a far better camera, however as it has no AA filter it does require a more steady hand to get the best sharpness. Would I get rid of the D800? No nor the D300 for that matter.
The D800 is a great camera and now my go to backup camera

Last edited:
No, I would not bother unless you have need for high frame rate. If your a single shot shooter then get a 24/36mp

Back