1st proper attempt at Andromeda

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get my hands on a Skywatcher Star Adventurer GTi and had a play around at the weekend trying to get the hang of it. It seems really easy to use, except for the Go To functionality which has me completely baffled (but that's one for another day)! Planning on keeping the MSM as the Skywatcher mount is far too heavy and cumbersome to lug far. This is my first proper attempt at the Andromeda Galaxy from the back garden just trying to get a feel for what's possible before venturing to darker skies. We live in the NW of England, on the edge of a town so light pollution is an issue but isn't horrendous for brighter night sky objects.

I'm starting to get to grips with some of the basics of what seems like a massive learning curve. A vast improvement on the first attempt: Longer focal length, more accurate polar alignment so better tracking - 1 minute subs instead of 30 second subs and just under 2 hours of lights stacked with calibration frames in DSS and processed in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Plenty of issues still to work on - the core is blown out, a smidge OOF so stars are misshapen with plenty of chromatic aberration and even more integration time required!

Andromeda in August from the back garden by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Last edited:
Stunning effort, well done indeed;)

I think that's just wonderful Si. Well done doesn't seem enough... so double well done! :D

That's pretty amazing Si, very well done (y)

I’d be pretty stoked to get an image like that, well done!

I have never 'seen' Andromeda, despite having opportunities in Dark Sky places. With ageing eyes, it might not happen, other than through tech.

As for your photo - outstanding.

I have never 'seen' Andromeda, despite having opportunities in Dark Sky places. With ageing eyes, it might not happen, other than through tech.

As for your photo - outstanding.

Thanks - It isn't visible with the naked eye from home, but you can just make it out the core as a faint smudge with a pair of binoculars, which certainly comes in handy when lining up your kit to photograph it!

That is amazing, well done.
Please excuse my lack of experience with regards astrophotography but did you use a telescope at all to take the image or was it taken on a star tracker alone?
Many thanks.

That's really good

Thanks Trevor, glad you like it

That is amazing, well done.
Please excuse my lack of experience with regards astrophotography but did you use a telescope at all to take the image or was it taken on a star tracker alone?
Many thanks.

Thanks James, there's more to be had here even from our relatively light polluted skies - it's a matter of time/opportunity/lack of clouds, etc :) It was taken with a standard lens, 70-200 @ 200 + teleconverter so 280mm and a standard full frame DSLR on a tracker. Annoyingly even a decent telephoto lens doesn't seem great for this - focus fine-tuning is a real pain and I struggled to get round/sharp stars but the overall effect after stacking processing is OK

Thanks Trevor, glad you like it

Thanks James, there's more to be had here even from our relatively light polluted skies - it's a matter of time/opportunity/lack of clouds, etc :) It was taken with a standard lens, 70-200 @ 200 + teleconverter so 280mm and a standard full frame DSLR on a tracker. Annoyingly even a decent telephoto lens doesn't seem great for this - focus fine-tuning is a real pain and I struggled to get round/sharp stars but the overall effect after stacking processing is OK
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and give me some more info.
So if I were to take a photo of one of the stars of orion for example as I can often see that during the winter really clearly from my back garden, with a star tracker and allow say 30sec exposure would I have a single photo showing much detail into the nebula or would I need to take multiple images and stack them to bring out further detail?
Sorry for the basic questions but I am considering getting into astrophoghraphy over the coming winter months and seeing what I can achieve.
Thank you

Back