2.8 "Macro" ?????

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I'm always of the opinion that it is better to ask a dumb question and look silly for a minute, than not ask and remain ignorant!

So here it goes.

As per my earlier post, I am looking for an F2.8 lens for ringside boxing photography (for around £200)

Now, a lot of them I am looking at (Sigma 18-50, Tamron 24-70 etc) mention they are Macro Lenses.

Are these "Macro Only" lenses (if there is such a thing? ), so therfore not suitable or what I need; or are they perfectly usable for normal walkabout purposes etc with the added Macro capability.

Apologies if this is a daft question ...... :bonk:

I think all lenses have a Macro part, someone will correct me on this but it means the minimum focal distance of that lens, ergo, Macro.

A dedicated Macro lens has a much shorter minimum focusing distance and will be 1:1

I may and probably am wrong on this.

In this sense, they are not 'true' macro lenses.

A 'true' macro lens goes to "1:1", which means that the image projected onto the sensor is the same size as it is in real life. I.e. a 5mm x 5mm object will appear as a 5mm square on the sensor.

A lot of lenses that have 'macro' written on the just mean they focus quite closely, and you might get 1:2 or similar.

Even true macro lenses don't have to be limited to just macro stuff, I have a Canon 100mm macro, and it's great for that, but I also love it for close-up portraiture stuff, and a trip to the zoo on a miserable day before I got my 70-200 f/2.8.

The only macro lens that comes to mind that ONLY does macro is the Canon MPE-65, which is a completely different beast!

You know what, I'm pretty sure I asked exactly the same question as you are now, when I first joined. I got the sigma one btw ;)

Anyway, yes it's used for macro (cushty lil macro lens ;) ) but it's a prime lens too, so anything that you would use your kit lens for at 50mm you can use that lens for too, like a portrait for example. A prime lens simply can't zoom, so you just move closer, sorta like rold 35mm point and shoots.

Hope that helps?

Cheers for all this!

Knew I'd get the answer on TP.

Thanks again - now, time to go spend some money!

Cheers for all this!

Knew I'd get the answer on TP.

Thanks again - now, time to go spend some money!

Spend it on tamron then (17-50 or 28-75). Avoid SIGnificantMAlfunction lenses.

You know what, I'm pretty sure I asked exactly the same question as you are now, when I first joined. I got the sigma one btw ;)

Anyway, yes it's used for macro (cushty lil macro lens ;) ) but it's a prime lens too, so anything that you would use your kit lens for at 50mm you can use that lens for too, like a portrait for example. A prime lens simply can't zoom, so you just move closer, sorta like rold 35mm point and shoots.

Hope that helps?

Without wishing to be picky, if its 18-50 its a zoom not a prime. Primes are fixed focal lengths e.g. 50mm or 85mm or 200mm - 3 different/individual lens.

As has been said if it says macro on a zoom chances are it will only be close focusing and not true macro. True macro is a 1:1 ratio (or better/larger), but most of these can be used a prime normal lenses (true macros tend to be primes, I dont know of a true macro zoom), but they are bulky and generally 'slower' than an equivalent non macro lens.

Matt

Without wishing to be picky, if its 18-50 its a zoom not a prime. Primes are fixed focal lengths e.g. 50mm or 85mm or 200mm - 3 different/individual lens.

You're so right!
I was thinking of my 50mm and for some reason thought that's the same lens OP was referring to, when I wrote my reply (hence mentioning it and referenceing to 50mm primes) but I'm a bit distracted ATM by things sadly beyond my control, hence the confussion.
Thank you for correcting it though (y)

Back