2 birds to ID please

First is a (Song) Thrush …… second no idea from your image

Thanks for the lighnting fast reply! It's so speckled I thought it might be something else. Live and learn!

I know the second is a terrible picture--it was a dot in the distance.

Last edited:
First one looks like a song thrush, the second does look like a Buzzard

Buzzard on the second one.
It has quite a pale chest though, compared to some.

Thanks guys--great service! It was the pale chest that caused the controversy over the second one.

I just looked up the song thrush; it's on the red list. :(

I think that's a Mistle Thrush

I can see the confusion as it has a Mistle Thrush stance and maybe it looks "bigger"

and when the stick their necks out, i.e. elongate them, they do look similar

but it is rounds black spots, (Mistle) v arrow head spots, (Song) … so it's a Song IMHO

but it would be an interesting debate

you can only really be sure by listening to them

Last edited:
No debate needed. It's a Song Thrush. 100%. The end!!

No debate needed. It's a Song Thrush. 100%. The end!!

The debate is not whether it is a Song Thrush or Mistle Thrush … that was established earlier

The debate would be about Song Thrushes and Mistle Thrushes and their differences

The debate is not whether it is a Song Thrush or Mistle Thrush … that was established earlier

The debate would be about Song Thrushes and Mistle Thrushes and their differences

Why would you want to debate their differences which are after all differences ie fact and not really debatable.

To help the OP and others identify which is which

Well you merely need to point out what the differences are to educate them not debate them. A decent book will sort all that out tho.

Blimey, a debate about a debate and whether
or not its worth debating.

Just need a few more people to join in and it'll be a mass...
Never mind :p

Not meaning to be a mass ... conversationalist (!), I'm thankful for the reminder as to the differences between the varieties of Turda. Shame we see so few of them , in fact, haven't had any thrushes beyond the common black ones for years. :(

Mistle, I can never get close

Mistle_1.jpg

Song
Song_Thrush.jpg

Last edited:
Those pics help a lot Bill. (y) It confirms something I thought I saw when I was in Portugal last winter--walking down the road, a mistle thrush fell out of a tree in front of me! It looked a bit stunned for a second or two then flew off. Always thought how strange that was...

Those pics help a lot Bill. (y) It confirms something I thought I saw when I was in Portugal last winter--walking down the road, a mistle thrush fell out of a tree in front of me! It looked a bit stunned for a second or two then flew off. Always thought how strange that was...

The Mistle is big and noisy, Dave

First one is a song thrush.....definitely. 2nd is a buzzard.........definitely.

Dave
your second image; it is always good to say when and were you saw the bird …. that always helps with the ID … the only thing to indicate to me that it is a Buzzard of some kind is that Buzzards perch on fence posts and fly off as soon as you get near. Apart from that I cannot say what it is, but I would not have thought that it could be a Bunting because of the size.

The Mistle is big and noisy, Dave

That fits exactly. In fact, having just gone over the experience with the other person who was there, there were two of them! They fell on the floor and roiled about for a second or two before taking off. Bulkier birds in comparison to the little things that were flitting around in my picture. It's the spots going up to the head around the back of the neck that distinguish them.

Last edited:
Dave
your second image; it is always good to say when and were you saw the bird …. that always helps with the ID … .

Point taken. It was at Martin Mere last Weds. But I'll bear that in mind for the next ID. The bunting guess was meant to be for what turned out to be the thrush. I must get my formatting clearer! :)

Last edited:
the only thing to indicate to me that it is a Buzzard of some kind is that Buzzards perch on fence posts and fly off as soon as you get near. Apart from that I cannot say what it is, but I would not have thought that it could be a Bunting because of the size.
100% buzzard I've hunted with enough red tails (American Buzzard) over the years
to recognise the head shape, body shape and stance at a distance, of a Buteo.
In fact with a mail (chest feathers) that light it could almost be a red tail,
but the wings are too brown.
Hope that helps.

100% buzzard I've hunted with enough red tails (American Buzzard) over the years
to recognise the head shape, body shape and stance at a distance, of a Buteo.
In fact with a mail (chest feathers) that light it could almost be a red tail,
but the wings are too brown.
Hope that helps.

So it's Buteo buteo is it?

Juvenile common buzzard.

Brown and white blob with a blackish head perched on a fence post

and we have probably 10 times as many Buteo b's out here as the UK plus quite a few Pernis apivorus

Last edited:
OK, it is not a common buzzard.

OK, it is not a common buzzard.

Morning Ade, cold this morning ….. got to make the "fires"

It could be …. but more information is need to substantiate it, rather than just looking at some fuzzy photo …… were it was seem and when would help?

Ah, developments! The location and date were given in post 24--Martin Mere, Lancs, Dec 3. Here's the original in case the context helps, or anyone can extract more information from it than I managed.

Ah, developments! The location and date were given in post 24--Martin Mere, Lancs, Dec 3. Here's the original in case the context helps, or anyone can extract more information from it than I managed.

Look like a CB, (any other possibilities?) - I can now see the head, never seen one quite that white on the breast ……… interesting …….. in France they are called the Buse variable …… because they are all different sizes and colours … the older they get the darker they become, so Ade is spot on with Juvenille

Raptor.jpg

but I'll send the "drone" out to check the area

But_But.jpg

Last edited:
Has a lot in common with @BRASH then :D

They are also very spotty with a small head, a long neck and big beak

just been out to try to find a "light" colour one, but the were all big dark shadowy birds

Last edited:
The relevance of that question is??????and do you mean the one I'm married to or my pet?

they say that owners get to look like the dogs they have … just debating around the subject whilst drink my "mid morning" hot chocolate

seen anything bird wise up there recently …. shouldn't there be stuff coming in from Scandinavia, Russia, etc.,

Last edited:
Back