2 birds to ID please

So, all agreed now, juvenile (common) buzzard? Cool detail about the French name for them.

So, all agreed now, juvenile (common) buzzard? Cool detail about the French name for them.

Yes the experts have spoken, so you can tick it as a Buteo buteo

but it has a lot of white on it and according to what I have read the really light Juveniles come in from N German/S Sweden, (Collins 2nd Edition say this - if you don't have it Dave, it's not expensive and worth getting - covering all birds in UK, Europe and N Africa ish) ………… and they are quite rare, the Buzzards that is

Last edited:
they say that owners get to look like the dogs they have … just debating around the subject whilst drink my "mid morning" hot chocolate

I look nothing like this:

DL+S-2 by Brashman 201
14250870304_881df74ce4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Brown and white blob with a blackish head perched on a fence post
and we have probably 10 times as many Buteo b's out here as the UK plus quite a few Pernis apivorus
but it has a lot of white on it and according to what I have read the really light Juveniles come in from N German/S Sweden, (Collins 2nd Edition say this - if you don't have it Dave, it's not expensive and worth getting - covering all birds in UK, Europe and N Africa ish) ………… and they are quite rare, the Buzzards that is
I understand what you are saying Bill (y)

And TBH "our" buzzard population here
(Home counties anyway) has been getting paler and paler (chests at least) over the last 10 years or so.
As to why that should be, I don't know. I can only speculate that its down to a light phase gene,
becoming more dominant in what would be a relatively small gene pool

OK, that's great to know!(y)

I'll have access to that book soon; I did a joint membership of the WWT recently and that book was thrown in--great value. It's with the other joint member at the moment (who actually took those photos; some looking up to do!).

Last edited:
Chris is correct in my opinion,of all three nesting pairs we have on the estate, this years young are very pale on the chest.

Morning Ade, cold this morning ….. got to make the "fires"

Hi Bill, we have open fires as well, got a barn full of seasoned hard wood and a constant supply of kiln dried mahogany to feed them, I like open fires.

Thanks Mike, shows the plumage off really well.

This is one of the adult birds we have, I don`t have a pic of the juvenile breast on, but they are a lot lighter.

Our adults are fairly dark.

Feb Buzzard 2 by Fracster, on Flickr

Thanks Mike, really interesting, never seen one that colour - all the ones out here are similar to the ones that Ade has posted

Thanks an attractive bird Mike, I generally do not find the Common Buzzard at all attractive

Last edited:
Yes Ade that one is definitely darker than most we see down here, we do see them, but most are lighter in colour, the
one I posted was hunting on the Cliffs at Botallack, I got a shot somewhere of this bird trying to catch a Weasel, they also seem very
partial to young Adders.

@Mikechappers @fracster

We tend to see both phases here,
but the darker ones as per Ades post are also getting lighter,
so we get a "mid tone" too.

I have nothing to share image wise though,
I normally don't bother, busman's holiday and all that :D

The northern Buzzards are far purer and superior to those wishy washy thing down south, bit like the people as well..............:p

The northern Buzzards are far purer and superior to those wishy washy thing down south, bit like the people as well..............:p
:p

Haha, I did notice when I was up in the Highlands a couple of months ago that the locals were a similar colour to my Buzzard shot, dead pale,
maybe its the lack of sunlight you get up there :p

Haha, I did notice when I was up in the Highlands a couple of months ago that the locals were a similar colour to my Buzzard shot, dead pale,
maybe its the lack of sunlight you get up there :p
Ooooof, touche.............:D

Annoying thing is,you are probably right............:wideyed:

Yeh, the farther north you go the more the superiority reigns.

:ty: from down south :D

Interesting talk about colours around me in North Devon I would say there are a lot more paler birds than any other coluorings

Joking aside Ade, I loved it up there, but the drive up from Cornwall is a killer in a slow old converted tranny, plus the bloody Midges, but yeh
will be up there again next Summer.

Joking aside Ade, I loved it up there, but the drive up from Cornwall is a killer in a slow old converted tranny, plus the bloody Midges, but yeh
will be up there again next Summer.
I`m up in north west England mate, it sure is a helluva drive from cornwall up to the Scottish highlands for you. I`m half way there,so no real biggie for us, we tend to go out to the Western Isles more, fabulous places to visit.

Keep away from Stonehaven though, it is near Aberdeen and is home to some real neanderthals.

I

Keep away from Stonehaven though, it is near Aberdeen and is home to some real neanderthals.

Good advice. Even the Romans dared not to venture this far. The few that did got their erses skelped and sent on their way. Deep fried Mars Bars rule yah bass!!

Good job the Romans never discovered the Tolbooth. mmmmm

I`m up in north west England mate, it sure is a helluva drive from cornwall up to the Scottish highlands for you. I`m half way there,so no real biggie for us, we tend to go out to the Western Isles more, fabulous places to visit.

Thanks for the advice Ade, Im not brash enough to go anywhere dodgey :D Western Isles is definitely an idea for next year, we thought about it this year but decided against due to time restraints. Might get back to you for some advice in the future, local knowledge an all that.

Thanks for the advice Ade, Im not brash enough to go anywhere dodgey :D Western Isles is definitely an idea for next year, we thought about it this year but decided against due to time restraints. Might get back to you for some advice in the future, local knowledge an all that.
I`m no expert and don`t live there Mike, but have some knowledge that i`m happy to share. Going up in June and August next year.

Not sure what month we will be going up, but if its in the months that you will be there it would be good to meet up, we was in the Highlands late September and early October for three weeks, which we was told was not the best times to see birds, it was a spur of the moment trip, was worth it though to see the Red Kites and Golden Eagles, August sounds good, but to early to say for def yet. Do you know if the Western Isles are the same as the Highlands Ade for a small Transit campervan, as in its ok to find somewhere quiet, out of the way to park up for the night ? we prefer that to campsites.

I'd go in July it's the only month it doesn't snow

Not sure what month we will be going up, but if its in the months that you will be there it would be good to meet up, we was in the Highlands late September and early October for three weeks, which we was told was not the best times to see birds, it was a spur of the moment trip, was worth it though to see the Red Kites and Golden Eagles, August sounds good, but to early to say for def yet. Do you know if the Western Isles are the same as the Highlands Ade for a small Transit campervan, as in its ok to find somewhere quiet, out of the way to park up for the night ? we prefer that to campsites.
Yeah, been up in our motorhome loads of times, there are quiet campsites f you need an electrical top up or water top up, quiet areas off the beaten track and places to park overnight. As long as you leave no crap and be sensible, which i`m sure you are Mike.Both Uists have co-op shops, North Uist virtually shuts on Sundays though.Harris is a short ferry ride from Benbecula and is totally different than the Uists, only been to Lewis twice so limited knowledge on that to be fair. I think a couple of members live up there though, there is a female member who takes cracking landscape shots, sure she lives on Lewis,can`t remember her name though.

Yeah, been up in our motorhome loads of times, there are quiet campsites f you need an electrical top up or water top up, quiet areas off the beaten track and places to park overnight. As long as you leave no crap and be sensible, which i`m sure you are Mike.Both Uists have co-op shops, North Uist virtually shuts on Sundays though.Harris is a short ferry ride from Benbecula and is totally different than the Uists, only been to Lewis twice so limited knowledge on that to be fair. I think a couple of members live up there though, there is a female member who takes cracking landscape shots, sure she lives on Lewis,can`t remember her name though.

Thanks Ade, real good info, water an emptying the loo are the main things, ok for electric as the van has a huge solar panel on the roof ( Needs some sun though lol ) so will start making plans, thanks again Ade

Thanks Ade, real good info, water an emptying the loo are the main things, ok for electric as the van has a huge solar panel on the roof ( Needs some sun though lol ) so will start making plans, thanks again Ade
You can sail from Oban to Lochboisdale on south Uist, the sail is quite pleasant, takes you up the sound of Mull,between Ardnamurchan and Mull,always a chance of seeing things or you can drive to Skye and get the shorter ferry to Lochmaddy on North Uist. The Oban ferry is dearer and a longer sail, but is offset by the fuel saving and driving is a lot shorter to Oban. If you do go via Skye,there is a co-op en route once on Skye, fill up before you get to the islands, fuel is,obviously, dearer once there.

Edit to add............for Gawds Sake take a full midge net to go over your head, long pants,long sleeve shirts and plenty of anti midge stuff. If it is windy or raining or both, they won`t be about. But if it is warm,then be prepared for the little Fockers.

Last edited:
You can sail from Oban to Lochboisdale on south Uist, the sail is quite pleasant, takes you up the sound of Mull,between Ardnamurchan and Mull,always a chance of seeing things or you can drive to Skye and get the shorter ferry to Lochmaddy on North Uist. The Oban ferry is dearer and a longer sail, but is offset by the fuel saving and driving is a lot shorter to Oban. If you do go via Skye,there is a co-op en route once on Skye, fill up before you get to the islands, fuel is,obviously, dearer once there.

Last time we drove up overnight to Fort William spent a day there catching up on sleep and watching people catching Mackerel off the quay, this time will be taking someone who has never being there before an is not to keen on boats so I think from Skye would be best, being in the Co op on Skye for fuel an supplies before touring around Skye :D we topped up with fuel whenever we could as that was the advice we was given, keep the tank topped up. Im saving this thread for the info you have given Ade as I will never remember it all, just spoke to friend on the phone, she is keen to go so will def be there :D just got to decide when, that is down to when my son can get time off work.

Back