2 Cameras, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koolpc you are my hero and I will be delighted to buy you a beer if you can keep this thread going for 1,000 posts. :beer:

Sorry guys. Out of my hands. I nearly had my hands on the 550D!

Back to square one! Wife is looking at different solicitors as i write this, lol.

I have read through the whole thread, more than once. Lots of people being sarcastic about me and some advice too! lol

What is the longest ever thread in this section? Mine, lol

Sorry guys, :bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

Wife has said tonight that she wants to see me with a DSLR by the end of tomorrow! Yikes, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read through the whole thread, more than once. Lots of people being sarcastic about me

Then if you have read through the whole thread you will see that you have invited the sarcasm upon yourself!!

Then if you have read through the whole thread you will see that you have invited the sarcasm upon yourself!!

Tell you what, out of all the post can you see a decisive decision on which camera to buy? I doubt it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIKON-D60-CAM...Cameras_JN&hash=item53e2983e1d#ht_2070wt_1139

Bargain... but surely if you bought the 1000D you must have liked it? Get another.

It doesn't have a VR lens above!

Anyway, its the k-x or back to the 1000D but with a better IS lens for walkabout. The kit lens was IS but when i returned the camera the guy in the shop said he had a buyer lined up for the IS lens and any new stock would be without the IS kit lens!! So, i would need an IS walkabout lens!

I have read through the whole thread, more than once. Lots of people being sarcastic about me

Tell you what, out of all the post can you see a decisive decision on which camera to buy? I doubt it.

Edit.............you have got to be taking the pee now!!

I wouldn't get hung up on the kit lens you get, you will soon grow out of it (if you keep the camera long enough). 1000's of us can manage without VR/IS with a little kit lens.

I'm out as you probably won't take not anyway!

what was great price like? £500?

£520. I was going to give him £400 when i had the camera and the rest, £120, in september. The camera was approx few months old.

So, as you can see, i only have a max of £400 to spend at the moment and i need to buy a decent DSLR now or the wife will cut off my child benfit!!

think of how many photos you've missed out on taking because you've been fannying around like this... they're pretty much all the same, get one and learn how to use it...christ.

I have read through the whole thread, more than once. Lots of people being sarcastic about me and some advice too! lol

Edit.............you have got to be taking the pee now!!

Well, can you see a definitive answer of what DSLR to get? No.

I'm off......................for the second time:D

think of how many photos you've missed out on taking because you've been fannying around like this... they're pretty much all the same, get one and learn how to use it...christ.

Haven't missed any as i haven't been anywhere yet, plus my wife has her trusty Canon Compact!

I think this is staged ! a person can't decide which dslr to get and as a miracle comes out a new brand and a new model that is just perfect. and they lived happily ever after ! :LOL:

p.s. keep this thread rolling, don't listen to the haters ! :LOL:

Well, probably going to stop posting here now. Obviously no real advice as of late just pee taking because i had problems deciding, then having a disaster and now back to square one!

Thanks guys.

You liked the 1000D and only sold it because you were getting a 550D cheap.

The obvious solution would be to buy another 1000D!

Well, probably going to stop posting here now. Obviously no real advice as of late just pee taking because i had problems deciding, then having a disaster and now back to square one!

Thanks guys.

I'm going to give this a go as best I can. Hopefully you can find it of some use and not discard it in the way you have with all the other advice (and you've received a lot) that has been handed to you. I also hope you understand how this situation appears from our point of view. Never have we known anyone to be quite so indecisive when buying a camera. The intention of the jokes isn't for you to take offence from, but I do appreciate some have been at your expense. Hopefully you'll stick around and continue to draw from the enormous knowledge base we have here at TP.

Anyway, you seem to have narrowed it down to 4 cameras and potentially disqualified a couple more but I'll deal with all 4 to give you the most information possible. Please note I have no hands-on experience with any one of these cameras, I'm just making use of all the information on the web to compile this.

Here's the main technical specifications for each of the 4 cameras you're considering. Those in red are the worst (on paper), blue are the best (on paper), black are in between and purple those things which can't be said one's better than the other. The reality of performance for things like sensors can't be judged solely on MP although that's all I've gone on here.

Pentax K-x:

12.4 MP CMOS Sensor
11 Point AF w. 9 cross type sensors in the middle
HD Video @ 720p & 24fps

Live View
Built in Shake Reduction
High-Speed continuous of 4.7fps for 17 JPEG or 5 RAW
Shutter life of 100,000 actuations
Max shutter speed of 1/6000th
2.7 inch LCD display
1.5x Crop Sensor
SD/SDHC memory card
Runs off 4 AA batteries
Weight of body including memory card & batteries is 580
g

Canon 1000D

10.1 MP CMOS Sensor
7 point AF with cross type in centre only
Live View
High-speed continuous at 3fps for 514 JPEG or 1.5fps for 4 RAW
Max shutter speed of 1/4000th
2.5 inch LCD Display
1.6x Crop Sensor
SD/SDHC memory card
Runs off Lithium-Ion battery
Weight of body including memory card & batteries is 502g

No HD Video

Nikon D3000:

10.2 MP CCD Sensor
11 point AF with one cross type at centre
Live View
High-speed continuous at 3fps unlimited JPEG or 6 RAW
Max shutter speed 1/4000th
3 inch LCD Display
1.5x Crop Sensor
SD/SDHC memory card
Weight of body including memory card & batteries is 536g

No HD Video

Sony A450:

14.2 MP CMOS Sensor
9 point AF with one cross type at centre
High-speed continuous @ 5 fps for 32 JPEG or 14 RAW
Shutter life unknown
Live View
Built in SteadyShot
Max shutter speed 1/4000th
2.7 inch LCD Display
1.5x Crop Sensor
SD/SDHC memory card
Weight 520g

No HD Video

Based on that the two front runners (IMO) are the Sony A450 and Pentax K-x. The Sony offers a larger image file (not necessarily better quality) and faster continuous frame rate with a larger buffer. The Pentax offers HD video and has the most cross type AF point which should help with AF speed, but is only one factor. On that alone, if it were my money, I'd buy the Pentax.

But you also need to consider the lens options available to you to decide which best suits your needs and pocket. Take a look at the common options that you may use in future. See the price and specification differences between 50mm f/1.4's & f/1.8's, 70-300mm, 100mm (ish, these vary) Macro and a wider 17-55mm type lens. These are commonly purchased lenses that could cover a range of uses and are costs to consider for future.

Also think about the flash systems. I was sceptical of flash until very recently but now I'm an absolute convert. Nikon is renowned for it's flash system and it's widely regarded as one of Nikon's major benefits. The Canon system is improving. The Sony and Pentax systems I know little about suspect they fall behind Nikon and Canon in this regard. Have a look at the prices of flash units for each brand and see what suits you most.

You also may want to think about more long term upgrade paths to a more professional tier of equipment. If this is of concern to you then Nikon and Canon are streets ahead in terms of lens range and body development and so I'd stick to these two brands.

All that said, all these cameras are excellent pieces of kit and can happily produce images of a quality that will probably surpass you for some time before you get deeper into the world of photography so don't get hung up on minor differences here and there. Go with what feels right in your hand and makes sense in your head and you can't go wrong.

Hopefully that's helpful. It's quite possibly the longest reply I've written on these forums so please put it to good use and buy a frickin' camera! Once you have we'd love to see the pictures you make with it.

It's quite possibly the longest reply I've written on these forums so please put it to good use and buy a frickin' camera! Once you have we'd love to see the pictures you make with it.

Nice, informative and helpful post, however looking back over the last 10 pages it does seem like an victory for hope over experience.

So, as you can see, i only have a max of £400 to spend at the moment and i need to buy a decent DSLR now or the wife will cut off my child benfit!!

And there in lies the most telling thing in this thread :bang:

No more help from me I am afraid. You have been told time and again that at this level there is very little difference between them. Just get whichever is cheapest. If there are 2 at the same price toss a coin. Jeebus.

And I thought I was indecisive!:D

Get what your mates got, then you can borrow his lenses!!

No more help from me I am afraid. You have been told time and again that at this level there is very little difference between them. Just get whichever is cheapest. If there are 2 at the same price toss a coin. Jeebus.

Yea, worst way to choose a camera!

And I thought I was indecisive!:D

Get what your mates got, then you can borrow his lenses!!

Can't afford the 550D brand new.

Going to camera shop today to handle the Pentax K-x again as that seems to be the forunner at the mo.

Sorry guys about the long thread. Not everyone is able to decide as easily as others.

Lots of advice in this thread but looking from my perspective quite a bit that still leads to confusion as some say get x while others say get y.

Money is tight so i need to make sure i get the best one for my pocket.

If someone wants to close the thread then so be it. Pointless me peeing everyone off.

Going to camera shop today to handle the Pentax K-x again as that seems to be the forunner at the mo.

Sorry guys about the long thread. Not everyone is able to decide as easily as others.

Lots of advice in this thread but looking from my perspective quite a bit that still leads to confusion as some say get x while others say get y.

If someone wants to close the thread then so be it. Pointless me peeing everyone off.

Ah yeah it was the Samsung NX10 that your mate had right? Still worth considering a Samsung NX10 as from what i have seen it is a decent camera and i think you stated that the images from your mates camera were really good and at the end of the day that's what is most important....well it is to me.:)

If you do get the Pentax let us know what it's like.

Seriously Tony, like most of us your choice is limited to funds available, have you considered buying s/h from the forum ? your money will stretch a whole lot further and most camera gear is looked after well so buy wisely and you will have the same experience as buying new.

A bit higher up the scale I know but I have just bought a 5DMK2 and on opening the box it was no different to buying a new one as it was mint!! and I saved a sizeable amount on the purchase price

For example.. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=246817
"babied since new",and a good saving on new. Why not:shrug:

Or if you want to go up the scale, you can't go far wrong with a good s/h Canon XXD such as the 30D
Here,http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=2826799#post2826799

Why not just buy a 1000D? You decided on that model previously, were happy with it, so just go buy one! ;)

lol, he could always go to another shop or buy online! ;)

If everyone convinced him to go for that S/H 1000D and pick up a lens of his choice.........if he can make that choice:D then we could all rest:)

nah.....this thread is better then anyhting on the tele - I'm enjoying it to much for it to end in such a sensible fashion :nuts:

It's a bloomin' camera mate, it's not life or death, it's not a life changing purchase...they will all perform to a similar level at that price point, just go and buy and get out and play with it. To be honest mate looking at this from the sidelines it is getting ridiculous, and in all honesty I think the retailers have a cr*ppy policy that folks can buy a camera and turn up with it again a month later and say they don't want it.

A woman at work decided on the Nikon D5000 with 18-55 lens from Argos. She was out enjoying it 24 hours later and I am well impressed with the clarity, colours of the pictures and overall good standard of the camera too. I bumped in to her at a show and I had 3 tons of camera bag and Nikon D700 and she had that 5000. She has pictures that far exceed any compact and many look like those from my 700 on the works monitor. Just bite the bullet and go and buy. There are far more important decisions to deliberate over.

PS Jessops Chris - 18-270 realise who you are now. i was in there a few weeks ago and we chatted about a D700 and some vouchers I had. I got one off the forum in the ned, still have the vouchers to spend!

Well, popped into Bristol today and checked out a couple of cameras.

The Sony A450..................Big and bulky, even after trying for the 2nd time. It still felt awkward and like a brick, so, that is definitely out and laid to rest.

Samsung Nx10.............. EVF, what a pain. Hated it big time. No thank you.

Pentax K-x...............Nice size camera, AF very fast, quite a heavy camera with those AA's, nice feel to it, it did look like a toy though! lol. Having said that, it is a very nice camera. Been reading up on it last night (Didn't hit the sack til 3am!!) and quite a few people in the Pentax forum loved it but some still had some issues with it. Lots of people don't like the non AF lighting up points. The fact that the camera needs a Firmware update as soon as you buy it (For battery monitor issues) and some other points i can't remember!!

Canon 1000D, again.........................What an ace camera to have in the hand. As i stated before, the only reason i took the other one back was because my mate was selling me his 550D, but, as you know, it got damaged as he was about to bring it down to me.

So, i contacted my local camera shop who have had to order me a 1000D body (£299 brand new) as they sold the one i took back!! Should have it by friday when i will be home to collect it from our short break away (Campsite). They are also getting some Pentax K-x's in and have said i can have a good play with one when i go in on friday just incase i decide to change my mind!!

I have to sort out a lens now as he didn't have the 18-55 IS. I will either have to try and find a 2nd hand one somewhere or look for an alternative.

I have heard a lot about the 'Nifty Fifty'. What spec is that and what price can i expect to pay for one? Failing that and i can't get either, what other 'walkabout' lens could i look at (Budget around £140).

So, as you can see, i decided to go back to the 1000D. The pentax keeps eating away inside my head but i don't know what it is but something keeps telling me to stick with Canon, don't buy the K-x.

So, i contacted my local camera shop who have had to order me a 1000D body (£299 brand new) as they sold the one i took back!! Should have it by friday when i will be home to collect it from our short breat away (Campsite). They are also getting some Pentax K-x's in and have said i can have a good play with one when i go in on friday just incase i decide to change my mind!!

Your reputation precedes you, or so it seems.

I agree with the above.

Look a bit beyond now and see if the rest of the system will meet your needs in the future.

You cannot for far wrong choosing Nikon or Canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back