2011 british 4X series...

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
there's racing in the 2011 british 4X series tomorrow at bryn bettws,in south wales tomorrow,and i'm plannong on going there to shoot it.i've not done this genre of photography before,so any help on settings,lighting etc...would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.brynbettws.com/bryn-bettws/2011-british-4x-series-bryn-bettws/

sorry for posting so late,but only just found out about it..

many thanks in advance..

oooer your close..... talk motor sport is right next door mate :)

yep,as neil_g says kipax...it's cycling :p :LOL:

will get some shots up as soon as...weather is a little wet though,so not sure my non weather proof body and lens will like that..but should be good for shots.

no help with settings etc though:shrug:..ah well a bit late me asking i suppose :bang:

I did BMX pics and the mods moved it to transport in crit so i presumed same went for talk.. maybe there not as touchy in the talk section :)

Only did it a few times and simply kept to same sports rule of thumb.. whatever it takes to get a fast shutter.. so everyhting depends on the light available... i see some using flash which i find hard to understand... just whatever it takes to get the shutter up to capture the action..

Sorry to sound vaugue but without knowing the weather or lighting...

Only did it a few times and simply kept to same sports rule of thumb.. whatever it takes to get a fast shutter.. so everyhting depends on the light available... i see some using flash which i find hard to understand... just whatever it takes to get the shutter up to capture the action..

Sorry to sound vaugue but without knowing the weather or lighting...

thanks very much...yeah,sort of thought i would need to keep the shutter speed fast.the weather here is drizzly and dull/cloudy,which i believe is going to be the theme for this morning,but drying up later on...

i have a flash gun which i can use in high speed sync to retain a fast enough shutter if needed.i will give it a go,and see how i get on..nothing to loose really,and this is within 4 miles from my home :)

thanks again (y)

4X is cycling mate ;)

4 people on MTB bikes going down basically like a bmx course down the side of a hill. id love to shoot some of that, get some pics up when you get back mark :)

Well I never! There's me thinking 4 b' 2 .... two short planks. Bit like the snowboarding where they all race down the same course together - guaranteed to be a pile up. :)

I know it's past now, but I've only just seen this thread.

I was there in the rain both days.

Tip 1. Bodge some sort of clear plastic bag to your lens hood, which extends over the camera body.

The majority of shots I took used flash, though I did some with just ambient.

I used two remote flashes on stands, both wrapped in sandwich bags. For the most part I didn't need two, except for they recycle quicker if using 2 at 1/2 power rather one on full.

Shutter speeds varied between 1/160-1/320. Aperture mostly stopped down 1/2 -1 stop.

In the last example the rider was crosslit. Without the flash the rider all bar his helmet maybe, would have been near invisible.

A few small low res samples below, the rest can be found at "Afan 4x Pictures"

Afan_4X_Brits-5634.jpg

Afan_4X_Brits-5574.jpg

Afan_4X_Brits-5624.jpg

Afan_4X_Brits-5343.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's past now, but I've only just seen this thread.

I was there in the rain both days.

Tip 1. Bodge some sort of clear plastic bag to your lens hood, which extends over the camera body.

The majority of shots I took used flash, though I did some with just ambient.

I used two remote flashes on stands, both wrapped in sandwich bags. For the most part I didn't need two, except for they recycle quicker if using 2 at 1/2 power rather one on full.

Shutter speeds varied between 1/160-1/320. Aperture mostly stopped down 1/2 -1 stop.

In the last example the rider was crosslit. Without the flash the rider all bar his helmet maybe, would have been near invisible.

A few small low res samples below, the rest can be found at "Afan 4x Pictures"

Afan_4X_Brits-5634.jpg

Afan_4X_Brits-5574.jpg

Afan_4X_Brits-5624.jpg

Afan_4X_Brits-5343.jpg

great set of shots rich (y)

although i went there on the saturday morning,it was raining so bad i thought better of it and went home via as mates house who lives opposite the entrance to the forrestry...hopefully next year eh!

great set of shots rich (y)

although i went there on the saturday morning,it was raining so bad i thought better of it and went home via as mates house who lives opposite the entrance to the forrestry...hopefully next year eh!

Thanks.

If you live locally, I'd keep an eye out. I was taking to the owners and they were saying they were hoping to host a number of events in the near future.

Back