2013 UAE Motorsport Photography Wrap-Up

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
It’s that time of year for the wrap-up thread, a review of my favourite images from 2013, and hopefully a bit of everything – from action to people and a bit of behind the scenes.

It’s always a difficult task selecting a handful of images and I’ve probably gone over the top slightly.

One thing I’ve realized in 2013 is that there are some awesome events over here (Dubai/UAE) – totally unique events, world class facilities and people with so much passion for the events they compete in. in start contrast there’s also a lot of pish, still plenty of enthusiasm from the competitors but no spectators and very little atmosphere.

Anyway, before I rattle on too much putting the world to rights, let’s get some photos up.

The year started in usual fashion with the Dubai 24hr - The first international race of the year, with a bumper grid of over 80 cars, rattling around the Dubai Autodrome.

1.jpg

Epic light for sunset and sunrise but otherwise a pretty boring track – I’m spoilt shooting at Yas Marina Circuit so much, as you’ll see.

2.jpg

From the comfort of the track in to the desert, there’s lots of accessible motorsport for the masses.

3.jpg

For something a bit different, I was invited by the guys from www.crankandpiston.com to shoot a black and white set of Nakai san creating his latest RAUH-Welt Begriff (http://www.crankandpiston.com/on-th...-porsche-964-dubai-uae-secondary-development/) and this great video -

4.jpg

For those that don’t know about these cars, have a read of the article posted above. This guy builds some incredible Porsches and has a massive cult following all over the world. Everything is done by hand, often using a cigarette packet to measure.

5.jpg

Last edited:
I was fortunate to be invited by Ferrari to shoot their Racing Days event at Yas Marina Circuit. This would be the closest I would get to being accredited to shooting F1 (Corse Cliente), along with the Scuderia Challenge and XX cars.

6.jpg

6b
6b.jpg

Coming back to the UK for a week in the summer, coincidentally (yeah, right) my holiday coincided with two of my favourite rallies – the Nicky Grist Stages (previously Quinton Stages) and the Bill Gwynne Coracle Stages at Sweet Lamb. Plenty of variety to be had during an unusually balmy summers week.

6a
6a.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the UAE, and back to the desert. It’s still October when I’m shooting the new Emirates Desert Rally Championship, and it’s still 40c – not just hard going on me but incredibly difficult for the riders out there racing for 2 hours across a 40km course.

10.jpg

11.jpg

As October tails off, but while the mercury is still hovering in the mid to high-30’s, testing starts back up on track ready for the season ahead and in preparation for the Gulf 12hr and Dubai 24hr events, the two biggest endurance races in the region.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
Dubai Motor Show offered an opportunity for many to get up close and personal with some incredible supercars and concept cars. On the stands I was managing we had the new Toyota 86 Open Concept, a 1967 Honda F1 car and the Lexus LF-LC Hybrid Concept. There was plenty of exciting metal to gaze at, including a trio of Bugatti Veyron’s.

15.jpg

I mentioned F1 and accreditation and unfortunately 2013 wasn’t to be my year. There are 8 media passes for local photographers and they go to the biggest news agencies in the UAE. It wasn’t all bad though as I got some corporate hospitality and chilled out on the terrace of the Viceroy Hotel (which spans the track) supping Champagne!

16.jpg

17.jpg

Last edited:
This year I managed a total of three stage rallies, two in the UK and finally followed the whole of the Dubai International Rally the final round of the Middle East Rally Championship. From the iconic start location just off Sheikh Zayed Road out in to the desert.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

It’s incredible how, even though there’s only a few events over the year, they still manage to make them clash. While shooting the Dubai International Rally, I took a few hours to drive up to Umm Al-Quwain and catch the Sand Drag racing. These are 1,000BHP, totally un-silenced monsters!

23.jpg

Last edited:
And on to the final event of the year, the Gulf 12hr endurance race at Yas Marina Circuit. It’s actually 2x six-hour races which is a shame and they started the second race so late this year we missed the sunset L. The event also marked the debut of the epic Bentley Continental GT3!

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

So that’s it for 2013. Sorry for the long thread. 2014 is looking bigger and better, with some new events in the pipeline together with F1 Winter Testing in Bahrain and hopefully a few more foreign trips.

Last edited:
Some excellent shots there, but something I still remember looking at from earlier this year is the RAUH-Welt Begriff article and video. Excellent shots and love the article/story - both seem to enhance the other, I bet it was an awesome experience.

Some of the sand rally shots are epic! #2, 3 & 19 would be the pick of the other images.

Fabulous account ,DB ,and the pics 'aint bad either .Seriously they are excellent and your work has benefitted from roundy ,roundy stuff out in the sandy deserts . Lovely to see you briefly on your return .

Have a great christmas ,much love to you and Gemma ,

The Man known as Pons

Really stunning stuff. Very jealous, your take on circuit racing is really rather unique - but the rallying stuff is simply perfect. Also I've got to get myself over there for either the Gulf 12H or the Dubai 24 sometime!

I'd struggle to pick a favourite but I'm really loving all of the following; #2, #3, #6b, #16, #19, #21 and #27! All around a stunning set though.

Some excellent shots there, but something I still remember looking at from earlier this year is the RAUH-Welt Begriff article and video. Excellent shots and love the article/story - both seem to enhance the other, I bet it was an awesome experience.

Some of the sand rally shots are epic! #2, 3 & 19 would be the pick of the other images.
Fabulous account ,DB ,and the pics 'aint bad either .Seriously they are excellent and your work has benefitted from roundy ,roundy stuff out in the sandy deserts . Lovely to see you briefly on your return .

Have a great christmas ,much love to you and Gemma ,

The Man known as Pons
Wow, great shots! Hoping to get to some motorsport events in 2014 so will be taking a some pointers from your images!
3,7,19 and 21 stunning shots
Excellent round up. Some serious action shots there!
Really stunning stuff. Very jealous, your take on circuit racing is really rather unique - but the rallying stuff is simply perfect. Also I've got to get myself over there for either the Gulf 12H or the Dubai 24 sometime!

I'd struggle to pick a favourite but I'm really loving all of the following; #2, #3, #6b, #16, #19, #21 and #27! All around a stunning set though.

Thanks guys. The biggest problem I face is having just two tracks to shoot at and having about 4 months of motorsport.

Adam, I've got to admit I've been looking at your stuff a lot this year and think it's fantastic - I really like your style.

Another TP'er with a great 2013!

#27 pips it for me, that's really groovy!

Not a motorsport fan, but really good images there. Looks like you had a good year.

Numbers 27 and 19 are the standouts for me. Love how you can see the rim so clearly at the centre of that insane wall of sand and rocks flying everywhere in 19. (y)
Fantastic shots,think No 19 is the best of them
Another TP'er with a great 2013!

#27 pips it for me, that's really groovy!

Cheers fellas. Hopefully a better year in 2014!

A stunning set of images Dave, although I'd expect nothing less from a man of your calibre! #19 is absolutely epic.

I actually had a chance to be in Dubai at the time of the International Rally as my best mate has moved over there, I'll definitely make the effort next year though.

Hope to catch up in 2014 mate, all the best.

Rhod

These are fantastic.

#3 works really nicely as a black and white shot. I'd hate to think how much dust is left in your camera after shooting an event like that!

Loving all the ones of the Dubai International Rally. The shot of the Fiesta through the ruins is a brilliant angle.

The Gulf 12 hours ones are great too. Love the Bentley (can't wait to see that next year) and the last one is just an absolute stunner!

Great variety of images just about everything covered here favourites for me are 2,9,21 and 27 is just brilliant keep going back to that one.

#3 & #27 for me all are very good though

Very nice set David, liking the Gulf 12h shots more especially 25-26-27, also like the shoots in the desert, nice to see something different than usual
A stunning set of images Dave, although I'd expect nothing less from a man of your calibre! #19 is absolutely epic.

I actually had a chance to be in Dubai at the time of the International Rally as my best mate has moved over there, I'll definitely make the effort next year though.

Hope to catch up in 2014 mate, all the best.

Rhod
These are fantastic.

#3 works really nicely as a black and white shot. I'd hate to think how much dust is left in your camera after shooting an event like that!

Loving all the ones of the Dubai International Rally. The shot of the Fiesta through the ruins is a brilliant angle.

The Gulf 12 hours ones are great too. Love the Bentley (can't wait to see that next year) and the last one is just an absolute stunner!
Top work David. Too many to pick out just one.
Fantastic work #3#24#27 outstanding.
Some great work there mate!
Great variety of images just about everything covered here favourites for me are 2,9,21 and 27 is just brilliant keep going back to that one.
#3 & #27 for me all are very good though

Thanks everyone. 2014 is already off to a blinding start with the Sand Hill Climb and the Dubai 24h covered. Can't wait until December to share the images with you again ;-)

Some really top shots there and such a great variety.
Really like the UK rally shots and the last set from Dubai with the amazing DoF!
Favourite is probably the flying Impreza shot.

Is was in AD in October and went to the evening cycleride session at Yas Marina two weeks before the F1 race, only to find the circuit shut because they were painting the kerbstones :(

I was only there for 4days, typical.

BTW #11 - really great

Back