Some lenses do this - mostly after a couple of years as the lube dries out - with new lenses, it's usually it's a lack of lube during assembly.
Ask the seller to pay for all or part of the service costs and you provide him with the reciept.

Shouldn't be more than £100...

I'd return it or get it service now. My 17-35 squeeked a lot (but focused fine) for the year I used it, then sat unused for a few months. When I got round to selling it the focus had completely jammed up and the repair was about £300 with new parts required. If it's just a simple re-lube service required just now, go for it.

Nikkor 17-35's were very prone to this - mine has done it for the past two years or so on first use then calms down a bit til the next time it's used.
I keep meaning to get it serviced, but....I'd rather spend the money on petrol...

True, I read that a lot. Which is why I had mine serviced prior to sale, ended up getting a decent price for it (almost £300 more than I bought it for 18 months prior), so it worked out alright.

Anyway from that experience squeeks seem to be a warning that something isn't quite right so if it could be a cheap service now or a pricey one later! Your call.

I've already asked him to contribute but he's not interested in giving me any money back, he says he'd sooner take the lens back and refund all my money if i'm not happy.

If it's only likely to be £100ish for a service i'll keep it and see how it goes

I've already asked him to contribute but he's not interested in giving me any money back, he says he'd sooner take the lens back and refund all my money if i'm not happy.

If it's only likely to be £100ish for a service i'll keep it and see how it goes

It'll probably be a lot less - this is well within the scope of a decent camera shop - most have travelling techs visit once a month to carry out servicing and repairs of this nature that don't require sending back to the manufacturer...

Try this Darren

Put the camera on Intervalometer ever 15 minutes, with the lens cap on

After 2 or 3 hours, the squeak will have gone. The squeak just needs working out.

thanks for the advice Rob, I have a D700 coming tomorrow so i'll give that a try Andy, he did say it hasn't been used much

Back