250GB LaCie External HD - £64.99!

It does indeed - and recommend CCL - was a while back but they built a PC for me which was excellent.

Misco are cheapest at the moment at £59.98 incl VAT. I got one the other week. If you enter the site via Quidco.com you also save 8% for total of sale (excluding VAT and delivery).

hate to throw a spanner in the works, but i really don't like these.

they look very nice but seem to get very hot. others like western digital turn off when inactive but these just keep spinning until you turn them off - which my flatmates never do.

personally i'd look at the mybook series.

just my 2p :)

My Book (Western digital) is what I have. Turns itself off when computer goes off and schedules a back up whenever.... no need to even think about the thing once you've installed it. (y)

Use MyBooks here also. Was just listing the price :D

Infact just ordered another two of the 320Gb USB 2.0/FireWire Premiums. (y)

Use MyBooks here also. Was just listing the price :D

Infact just ordered another two of the 320Gb USB 2.0/FireWire Premiums. (y)

SNAP!! I use firewire too, and that blue light rocks !! ;)

Does look a little different - rotating like it does :D

I have to get a second hard drive for back-up in the new year ... was just going to go for another Lacie 500gb monster ... but after reading your comments guys I am not so sure ... :thinking:

I used to be so indecisive ... but since joining TP forums ... I'm not so sure anymore ... :D

Thanx for that ... ;)

:p

Well heres a list of the Western Digital external drives, including the MyBook series > Dabs.com,just incase you want to take a look :D

Question ... I have Firewire available with my Lacie HD.

However my lappy does not !

Is there a converter for the Firewire cable to take it through the PCMCIA (although mine is not a full size one (?)) ... or does this reduce it to be no faster/better than USBII ... :thinking:

You can get PC Card/PCMCIA adapters like these , Adaptecs would be best, but whether the difference would be noticeable I doubt to much.

FireWire (standard) = 400Mbits
USB2.0 = 480Mbits (although rarely gets near this)

However FireWire sustains its speed while USB 2.0 tends to drop off during large transfers - for large storage FireWire is the better, if an option.

Thanx WS .. problem is my PCMCIA slot is reduced at the connector end although it is normal size at the opening ... ITMS ... :thinking:

I did buy one of those thingys at first and then discovered this incompatibility issue ... :shrug:

Is it pointless going Firewire into USB 2.0 then for the reasons of speed you mention ... I have the Lacie already connected through USB 2.0 Hub ... ;)

Only time I can recall seeing an inline convertor from FireWire to USB was with my iPod, never noticed them on sale anywhere (and never used it TBH), if I can find it (no guarantees, but I'll have a look) you can have it and see if it works :D

if you're on a pc there's not loads of difference unless you're doing big transfers as said above. if you use a mac firewire is much much faster as mac usb drivers a re a bit poo.

You can get PC Card/PCMCIA adapters like these , Adaptecs would be best, but whether the difference would be noticeable I doubt to much.

FireWire (standard) = 400Mbits
USB2.0 = 480Mbits (although rarely gets near this)

However FireWire sustains its speed while USB 2.0 tends to drop off during large transfers - for large storage FireWire is the better, if an option.

Firewire = 400mb per device
USB2 = 480mb shared between all devices

they look very nice but seem to get very hot.

Mine doesn't get very hot ... I'm very happy with and it looks cool in my apartment which is the main thing :razz:

they look very nice but seem to get very hot. others like western digital turn off when inactive
Western Digital drives are among the hottest in terms of operating temperature (as much as 60C). This has a knock-on effect to the case temperature and ultimately the CPU temperature. I wouldn't even think of using a WD drive without a HD cooler.

That said, I do have two WD drives at the moment, with a twin fan cooler each. Upgrading my backup drive from a 80Gb WD to a 200Gb Seagate though.

I have a Lacie brick HDD! (it looks like a big bright red lego brick! which makes a change from the usual boring boxes) It's very cool looking (in my opinion), and works well for backing up my MacBook. It's not the quietest thing ever, but i rarely turn it on, and it appears to work very well.

These are only about £70 now :)

Seagate discs are cool - look at Maplins for some great savings on the large external ones!!! I saved £90 on my 500!

I bought the Lacie 320Gb version a couple of days ago from Novatech and I have to say I'm thrilled with it. True plug and play. It's preformatted to FAT32 but easily reformatted to NTFS. As for the heat issues, mine seems fine :shrug: I've had it running for 8 hours and whilst it feels warm, I wouldn't say it's anything excessive. It's virtually silent in operation, just the slightest hard drive "click" when it's writing if the room is quiet and you really listen for it. The disk inside the box is a Seagate BTW! Personally I'd say, for the price (£75.79 inc vat) you can't go far wrong with one of these. It's such a nice feeling to know that all my photos and all my MP3's are backed up now :)

Back