2nd attempt at water drops

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
My last attempt at these didnt go so well, so had another play around today after scan around the net for techniques. Let me know what you think.......

1:
4185247238_e0735fb449_o.jpg

2:
4184486027_0a5ccce2fe_o.jpg

3:
4184484715_34841b45e2_o.jpg

some more can be seen here

very nice! last one is my fav!

what exif were these shot at?

just being picky as the only thing I can pick up is 1 and two seem a tiiinnyyy lil shallow on the DOF....BUT they work. just trying to pick something constructive out for you lol

Great pics!

Beautiful! Superb colours, nice job there! (y)

I was also going to point out the DOF on the 1st one, can't win 'em all though :D It's still a brilliant pic.

They're great any linkies to your reading material?

Barney

All great in their own right, love the colour in #2, and the droplet in #3 is absolutley perfect, never tried these but certainly fancy a go now (y)

Three excellent shots (y) NO:2 Just gets my vote :clap:

Like all of these, 3 is great, 1 is non too shabby either but I love No.2 lovely capture and colouring, it reminds me of a Karvol cold relief capsule my mum used to use when I was a kid :clap:

these are all great (y) I especially like no 3 best - the smooth ripple and colours are lovely, with the 2nd photo next

very nice! last one is my fav!

what exif were these shot at?

just being picky as the only thing I can pick up is 1 and two seem a tiiinnyyy lil shallow on the DOF....BUT they work. just trying to pick something constructive out for you lol

Great pics!

1/250 @ F8
EXIF is intact in the images. If you're using Firefox, go grab FXIF - Great extension.

The first two seem a little soft but the 3rd is a cracker, plus it's quite unusual.

how did you manage to get 1/250 with a flash? I thought camera override is at 200?
:thinking:

I thought it was 1/250 or use HSS ... :thinking:

I reckon your time spent researching has paid dividends, they are all really good :)

Alan

my 450 wont go past 200.

I think one of the canon speed guns goes higher actually (googled it lol)

Sorry mate :) not sure what you mean? (also appologies to james for going off topic) :cool:

Sorry mate :) not sure what you mean? (also appologies to james for going off topic) :cool:

I've got a 450D too, it won't let exposure go any quicker than 1/200 with the flash on, down to 1/4000 without flash. Not sure what camera the OP has, but maybe it allows him to go down to 1/250 with flash. Or maybe even it's done with ridiculously bright lights and no flash?

I love these, very good indeed. #3 is the winner for me, worthy of a big print on the wall.

Simply stunning!! Would agree with Robbo that No1 needs more DOF to get the back of the crown in focus. But they are all stunning images!!!

Top Stuff!! (y)

Thanks for all the great comments guys, very much appreciated. I have to say that these water drop images are pretty addictive one you get into them.

I agree with the comments about the DOF on the crown image

how many shot did you take to get these results?

I took about 400 shots in all, these were my favourite 3 but i would say i had about 20 keepers, just need to process the others.

Not sure what camera the OP has

I was using a 1Ds MK3. I have to say i am sure that the flash sync on the camera is 1/250.

They're great any linkies to your reading material?

I just googled 'photographing water droplets' lots of reference material there, or you could look up Photogavin on Youtube. He has some pretty good video tutorials on his page.

I read some were that one of the canon speed guns will sync higher than 1/200 that the built in flash stops you at.... well thats how I read it anyway lol

Thanks for all the great comments guys, very much appreciated. I have to say that these water drop images are pretty addictive one you get into them.

I agree with the comments about the DOF on the crown image

I took about 400 shots in all, these were my favourite 3 but i would say i had about 20 keepers, just need to process the others.

I was using a 1Ds MK3. I have to say i am sure that the flash sync on the camera is 1/250.

I just googled 'photographing water droplets' lots of reference material there, or you could look up Photogavin on Youtube. He has some pretty good video tutorials on his page.

just out of curiosity...... can you check the flash sync please? lol I know in the past my 450 has let me set it higher than 1/200, but when I half press it putts it back to 1/200.

got me thinking now lol

Fanatsic Captures Really Like No.2 And No.3 Very Sharp And Crisp Very Well Done

Kirk

Firstly, from the exif, the OP didn't use On board flash (see the bottom of this post)

Also, the 1DS can sync at 1/250
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html

1/250 second.
Top of the line professional EOS cameras - the EOS 1, 1N, 1V, 1Ds, 1D mark II, 1Ds mark II. The two exceptions are the EOS 620, an old camera from the late 80s which nonetheless could sync at 1/250 sec, and the EOS 20D/20Da.

If you use a Speedlite, you can use the flash at any shutter speed you want by enabling High Speed Sync.

http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/view.asp?articleID=1026

I also highly recommend viewing Gavin Hoeys tutorials on Youtube (Just search Photogavin or "Photographing Water drops") - He uses off camera flash using Jiansi PT-04TM wireless triggers which at £10 delivered on EBAY, are a bargain. I have some and they work superbly.

James' EXIF (hope you don't mind James, it's available via your images so makes sense to post :) )

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Image Date: 2009:12:14 14:52:04
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 100.0mm
CCD Width: 5.13mm
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual