3 Legged Thing Tripods

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Has anyone got any feedback on these?

I have been mainly considering the punks corey (unlikely), punks billy and punks brian in carbon fibre.

I'd need it to be stable enough to do some long exposure stuff, but light enough and small enough to travel.

Doesn't seem to be massive amounts of user feedback available.

Thanks,

Tom

I have a Punks Corey Magnesium in the boot of my car, solid enough bit of kit, folds up small and not too weighty.
Can't say anything more, bought it in case I suddenly wanted a tripod when we are out
Never used it as yet and after a year or more probably never will

I have a Punks Corey Magnesium in the boot of my car, solid enough bit of kit, folds up small and not too weighty.
Can't say anything more, bought it in case I suddenly wanted a tripod when we are out
Never used it as yet and after a year or more probably never will

Fair enough! Wouldn't be looking to get rid would you?

Things that makes for a good stable tripod:
Fewer leg section (5 legs is definitely a non-starter for me, 4 is ok, 3 is better).
Thicker legs especially the last leg section.
No central column to achieve a decent height.
Decent vibrations damping up the legs as far as possible.

3LT (the ones you mention) fall down on one or more points. I personally wouldn't buy them.

You know what I'd recommend :)
Apart from may be gitzos (haven't admittedly owned them) I have not found anything as light as CT3342/3442 and actually provide decent stability or any where close to them.

If you or anyone can find something as good and as light with a good height let me know, I'll be very happy to try them out.

Last edited:
I got rid of mine quite quickly. The Airhed wasn't man enough for the job (kept dropping after tightening) with a 50D and 24-105. If you're mirrorless or have a light kit or generally shoot straight, this might not be a problem. The plastic on the leg connector things also cracked and the rubber housing on the twisty knob thing for raising the centre column also split so my resale was pants.

Stability and lightness sadly don't tend to go hand in hand and I found that with my punk tripod (can't remember the name now) "flimsy" when erected would be the description I'd use. Extending the centre column was impossible for long exposures in a stiff breeze.

For me, it was style over substance.

Last edited:
The more I read about & research carbon fibre lighter tripods (for a reasonable cost) the more I think I'll just stick with the Redsnapper that I have & put up with the bit of extra weight.....!

Things that makes for a good stable tripod:
Fewer leg section (5 legs is definitely a non-starter for me, 4 is ok, 3 is better).
Thicker legs especially the last leg section.
No central column to achieve a decent height.
Decent vibrations damping up the legs as far as possible.

3LT (the ones you mention) fall down on one or more points. I personally wouldn't buy them.

You know what I'd recommend :)
Apart from may be gitzos (haven't admittedly owned them) I have not found anything as light as CT3342/3442 and actually provide decent stability or any where close to them.

If you or anyone can find something as good and as light with a good height let me know, I'll be very happy to try them out.

I’d definitely rather have the Feisol but that 3342 is too big when closed and the 3442 is nowhere to be found haha!

Fair enough! Wouldn't be looking to get rid would you?

Possibly, no idea how much they cost though, will have a think

Can't fault these, excellent in every respect with ten year warranty
My daughter has it now, she uses a tripod much more than me
https://www.snapperstuff.com/flm-32-26-904-cp26-m4s-centrepod-tripod

Last edited:
Max. height (mm): 1550
Max. height excluding centre column (mm): 1310

Feisols I mentioned matches its max height with no central column and still weighs tiny bit less :)

Feisol are not renowned for their customer service or longevity, seen more than one report of the legs becoming unbonded
Looked at them when I bought the FLM, that was when they still had a UK distributor
User reviews and possible customer service issues put me right off, see https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/feisol-tripod.652082/
Prefer good old German engineering, if you see one in the flesh you can appreciate the build quality
I have had Gitzo's ranging from Traveler to Systematic and the FLM is equal to them

Last edited:
the FLM is equal to them

I bought an FLM about 4 years ago and have never needed to look at tripods again. 1.9m without centre column, 2.2m with it. Absolutely rock solid, but not what anyone would call light sadly (1.9kg).

Feisol are not renowned for their customer service or longevity, seen more than one report of the legs becoming unbonded
Looked at them when I bought the FLM, that was when they still had a UK distributor
User reviews and possible customer service issues put me right off, see https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/feisol-tripod.652082/
Prefer good old German engineering, if you see one in the flesh you can appreciate the build quality
I have had Gitzo's ranging from Traveler to Systematic and the FLM is equal to them

I use my feisol tripod(s) a good amount and haven't had any problems thus far.

Back