3 Peaks Challenge - Tripod Help

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Myself and 3 work collegues have decided to take on the 3 peaks challenge (Snowdon, Scafell Pike, Ben Nevis in 24hrs) in Summer 2015 and will begin training at the end of this month.
Obviously we will need to be travelling light, but i dont want to miss the opportunity to take my camera.
So, I am in need of some advice regarding a tripod to take.
I currently use a Manfrotto 055xprob with 804 head and i sure as hell wont be taking that with me!

Can anyone reccomend a light/small tripod that will be good to hold a D700 with 24mm prime?
Budget upto £200.

Thanks Mark i will have a look.

Will, i understand your concern for the wellbeing for the fells and the environment, 3 out of the 4 of us are locals to the lakedistrict and have done countless walks over the years and love and respect the area that we live. One of the group is soon to be a qualified guide, part of the learning for which is minimising the impact on the fells and local people.
Places of natural beauty will always attract people from far a field, with less knowledge and respect for the areas they are visiting, i can do nothing about them, but i can assure you that we will be doing the challenge as respectfully to nature as is possible.

Having done the 3 peaks - 18hrs 48mins on my first attempt, I congragulate the OP on your effort to do this very real challenge...

I would probably suggest taking a compact camera & gorilla tripod - less weight !!

I'll assume you are starting at Nevis about 6 -7pm & going from there.

The BMC nimbys need a kicking.. People should be doing this sort of event - & for whatever reasons that gets them out there.

I would recommend the Manfrotto Befree a nice lightweight and compact tripod and one I can also get into my day bag

I agree with the compact and 'pod. You'll not have time to do "proper" photos and you'll be cursing the extra weight half way up the first hill.

My Father in law has a Gorilla pod which im sure he would loan out for a few days.
Obviously we are going to be doing a few walks between now and then to get the miles in so would be taking my gear on a few if these to see how minimal i can get the camera gear.
I dont own a compact though as ive never really got on with them.

I like the look of the Redged and manfrotto Befree, nice and compact.

Had a look at a Carbon Sirui tripod that a work collegue uses, feels quite good, really easy to carry as its legs fold back, and it was relatively quick to set up as well. fairly impressed considering its price.
Anybody else use one of these? think it was an 025x model.

We will be walking at a decent pace.
I only intend taking the D700 with 35mm prime so travelling light.

If walking - then you have the time & are also unlikely to slip & kill your camera...
I'd still take something like a gorilla pod though...

Ok cheers Pete ill borrow the gorilla pod and take it on a walk, see how i get on with it.

Redged 525, I use one for travelling light and for hiking, http://www.redged.com/tsc-525k.html

It weighs just over a kilo, has an Arca Swiss compatible ball head, folds up to just under a foot long (the legs fold around the head) and I've used it with up to Medium Format cameras without issue.

Cracking piece of kit.
I concur. Based on reviews from this website, I've just bought the Redged 525 for my trip to the States next week. I also took it up Snowdon on TUESDAY this week and performed very well. Took this picture using it. (Although I'm not sure I needed a tripod for this shot in retrospect.)

The View from Mount Snowdon
by Tom Cash, on Flickr

OP, I have the same Manfrotto tripod as you and the Redged is substantially smaller and lighter but the quality is second to none. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive at first, but it's a great tripod.

Also, the height isn't bad either!

Camera-wise, something light and something water resistant (definitely the latter). Are you actually planning on taking long exposures? Light availability, even in low visibility, is usually pretty good up in the hills, so unless you're shooting very late/early or with a heavy ND, you may well not need a tripod. I've never taken one with me...

tripod can be used as walking sticks (beaten up one for that reason) so no issues there. Water / food / spare clothes will weigh more so I really don't see any issues. I've done a few mountains will all of that with me and still alive.

Not meaning to be negative (and I wish you the very best of luck!) but please have a read of the below link and try and minimise your impact on the fells, or even consider doing a different challenge.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/three-peaks-challenge

Honestly I can't understand this viewpoint. I rather disagree totally to be frank.

tripod can be used as walking sticks (beaten up one for that reason) so no issues there. Water / food / spare clothes will weigh more so I really don't see any issues. I've done a few mountains will all of that with me and still alive.

But that argument (re: weight) will always apply. Why get a 2kg tent when I can spend 25% of the cost and get a 3kg one? That's fine, but if you're taking 5 things which are all weighing a kilo more than necessary then that 5kg will be a bit of a burden! I flit between going lightweight (sub 10kg including overnight or sub 5kg no overnight) and "having some luxuries". So I can't make up my mind either!

I've done mountain ranges carrying over 25kg but I wouldn't recommend it for pleasure. I've also done similar length walks/climbs (12hrs+) carrying less than 4kg and wearing ultralight shoes in the summer... what a difference! (although I was still knackered by the end of it because I'm not massively fit...) I'd recommend someone to think about whether they really want to take something like a tripod rather than just lug it around and find it restricts their desire to keep going... If you miss a photo opp then you can always go back out on the hills another time!

Thanks for the input so far.
Im happy carrying the D700 and 35, i consider it travelling light compared to what i used to carry.
Its just the tripod that im not sure about.
I dont want to rely on finding rocks to position camera on for a group shot at the top of each peak. (Our employer is heavily sponsoring us and would like shots to help promote the local charity that it partners)

Velbon REXI-L
Just to be different...

Is a monopod the way to go? You can't do long exposures, but you do reduce about 3 degrees of freedom (which might be important if your camera is heavy and you're knackered). I've even heard of one that doubles as a walking pole, but not seen it.

With a D700 it's tricky I'd be tempted to take a short lens with VR but not many of those about in Nikon land, monopod isn't really any less tricky than a tripod to be honest, bean bag?

Having done the three peaks a couple of times, I'd really strongly suggest leaving the DSLR at home, let alone a tripod. Travelling light really should be high up the agenda. Only you know your level of fitness but it is quite a big undertaking for most people at the best of times without lugging a few extra kilos up.

If you need decent quality group shots, a high end compact on some form of feather weight mini support should do the job, (though at least one peak will likely be in the dark). You can also get walking poles with a tripod mount on the top. If you get one with a spiked base, you could use that for support for light camera.

If you're dead set on taking the D700, how about just taking a bean bag to rest it on? Far lighter, less bulky and quicker to use.

Which way around are you tackling it?

Sorry for lack of response, been out camping for a few days.
Im quite set on taking the D700, i dont have a compact, never seem to get on with them.
Ill try a bean bag on a few walks to check it out. Thanks for the insight so far.

I think the plan is to start at Snowdon but im unsure about leaving Ben Nevis to last. I think id rather get it out of the way first and tackle Snowdon last as we are more likely to be able to pick the pace up if needed on Snowdon.

Sorry for lack of response, been out camping for a few days.
Im quite set on taking the D700, i dont have a compact, never seem to get on with them.
Ill try a bean bag on a few walks to check it out. Thanks for the insight so far.

I think the plan is to start at Snowdon but im unsure about leaving Ben Nevis to last. I think id rather get it out of the way first and tackle Snowdon last as we are more likely to be able to pick the pace up if needed on Snowdon.

The times I did it, we did Ben Nevis first, starting around 7pm I seem to recall. That was height of summer and gave about the optimum amount of light although Scarfell was mainly in the dark. I don't think I'd fancy tackling Ben Nevis last, it's a far bigger slog than either of the other two. Also the pubs aren't great around Ben Nevis or Fort William. Important!

Thanks Graham, ill pass that on to the rest of the group.

How are you getting between the peaks?? Last time I did it with my work we had a driver and we hired a merc people carrier... We'd tried out mini busses before and discovered they were speed restricted to 62mph.... If you're trying to do it in 24hrs pretty much everything relies on the travel, the walking bit is easy... One accident on the m6 and you can be screwed!

Similar situation, work is contributing to fuel and travel but we are asking for a large people carrier rather than minibus.
Another of our collegues kindly volunteered to do all the driving and support for us.
Living where we do, we have to travel small roads and lanes quite a lot so we are all well acustomed to that.

Back