3 slightly different butterflies from today

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Out and about today and I saw the most butterflies that I have seen out here in Spain all year. So a varied assortment from today, it was great to get something a little different.

All taken with the 7D and 300/4 IS with a 12mm extension tube as well.

1) Langs Short Tailed Blue

Langs short tailed blue (Leptotes pirithous) by swag72, on Flickr

2) Adonis Blue

Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus) by swag72, on Flickr

3) Berger's Clouded Yellow

Berger's Clouded Yellow (Colias alfacariensis ) by swag72, on Flickr

Sara,

All very pleasing to the eye but I agree with Dave, the "Blue" stands out from the three.

I called it the "Blue" because it leads me to a question. I grabbed a similar one a few weeks back and couldn't decide whether it was an Adonis or a Silver Studded and plumped for the latter (possibly incorrectly). How can you tell them apart?...or more to the point, have I got this one wrong?

Bob

Bob, I spent many an hour on this site trying to ID it.

I'm looking into yours as we speak!!

Thanks for your comments folks, I agree that #2 is the best of the bunch, but I was really excited to catch #1 as up until now, for about 4 months, I've not managed to get this blighter with open wings!!

Last edited:
#2 for me, fantastic shot and i believe it was perfectly taken with the background :)

It's definitely not an Adonis Blue - the veins in the wing cross the white termen and create and almost 'chequered' effect to it.
It's a Silver-studded Blue.

Last edited:
It's definitely not an Adonis Blue - the veins in the wing cross the white termen and create and almost 'chequered' effect to it.
It's a Silver-studded Blue.

You think that #2 is a Silver-Studded Blue Chris?

Thanks for all your comments - I had to work really hard to get the butterflies and bg's to match :D

Back