32 bit or 64 bit

Name
clive
Edit My Images
Yes
im getting a new desktop pc a all singing all dancing job with 8gb of ram now i already have the instalation disk for windows 7 premium 32 bit version will this be ok for image editing using lightroom 5 or would there be any benefit in getting the 64 bit one.

I believe 32bit will only recognise a small 4gb RAM so you may want to consider 64bit

Yes agree with this. You will need 64bit to use the 8gb Ram.

AWE? ;)

i already have the instalation disk for windows 7 premium 32 bit version
No need to panic as with Win7 & Win8 the same licences key will work for both 32bit & 64bit versions of the OS.

You just need to find someone who will lend you a 64bit win7 disk.

The only problem with 64bit OS is drivers for older printers and scanners may not be available.

thanks for the replies guys looks like 64 bit it is will try and find someone who can lend me a 64 bit disk.

No need to panic as with Win7 & Win8 the same licences key will work for both 32bit & 64bit versions of the OS.

You just need to find someone who will lend you a 64bit win7 disk.

The only problem with 64bit OS is drivers for older printers and scanners may not be available.

That's what worries me.

Use 64bit to make use of more memory instead of being limited to up to 4GB.

Yet...

Use 32bit in order to still be able to use your current printers, scanners, CD/DVD writers, and any other technology you have.

It's a case of "Damned if I do, damned if I don't"

That's what worries me. Use 64bit to make use of more memory instead of being limited to up to 4GB. Yet... Use 32bit in order to still be able to use your current printers, scanners, CD/DVD writers, and any other technology you have. It's a case of "Damned if I do, damned if I don't"

Depends how old your stuff is.

Everything built for windows 7 will have 64 bit drivers. Quite a bit of stuff for vista has 64 bit drivers.

Also the driver base for windows 7 and 8 is huge.

4 years ago I would of agreed with you, but unless you have really old stuff it isn't a problem.

Depends how old your stuff is.

Everything built for windows 7 will have 64 bit drivers. Quite a bit of stuff for vista has 64 bit drivers.

Also the driver base for windows 7 and 8 is huge.

4 years ago I would of agreed with you, but unless you have really old stuff it isn't a problem.

I have a Zip 100MB diskette drive that I would like to install to my upcoming custom build computer, and I have Windows 7 Pro, so I would have to install the 32bit and hope to find any drivers that I can install.

Yet, it would be nice if I could use more than 4GB of RAM, so it's tempting to want to install 64bit.

It's enough to drive some of us crazy.

Use 32bit in order to still be able to use your current printers, scanners, CD/DVD writers, and any other technology you have.

It's a case of "Damned if I do, damned if I don't"

Anything moderately recent will have drivers. Check manufacturers website It is only for really old odd stuff. Otherwise you may want to check out linux - that runs nearly anything and on 64bit

I have a Zip 100MB diskette drive that I would like to install to my upcoming custom build computer, and I have Windows 7 Pro, so I would have to install the 32bit and hope to find any drivers that I can install.

Yet, it would be nice if I could use more than 4GB of RAM, so it's tempting to want to install 64bit.

It's enough to drive some of us crazy.

Why would you even want to use it? Even the smallest and slowest USB drive will be far better alternative.

I've not found a single issue with changing to 64bit, no contest - don't even think about 32bit on a new install.

Zip drives? Wow that's like 20 year old technology :LOL: why would you even need that?

If I remember rightly they were notoriously unreliable too.

The only problem I ever had with mine was that I needed a US power adapter. They didn't have euro ones yet as I bought the drive when it was first launched.

100MB! Holy ******! Have to get me one of those.

:LOL:

If you need a zip drive to retrieve data (and not write it) you may be better off pulling the data off the drives and writing to something else (CD/DVD/cloud) and ditching the drive altogether.

I agree there should be no reason to consider keeping a zip drive if you are still thinking of writing to it (the only one I can think of is compatability with some other piece of h/w but relying on something not available seems a weak point!)

64 bit all the way (and I'd avoid Linux unless you want to really learn how to manage a computer ;))

Why would you even want to use it? Even the smallest and slowest USB drive will be far better alternative.

Zip drives? Wow that's like 20 year old technology :LOL: why would you even need that?

If I remember rightly they were notoriously unreliable too.

I bought them about 13 to 14 years ago and used it for back-up. I've looked after it well. I don't see anything wrong with trying to use it for back-up.

Why should we keep buying something, only 5 years later, got to throw it all away just because technology moved on? No wonder we've all hurt our home planet with all the stuff we don't want anymore. I may have a Nikon DSLR, but I still got my Minolta X-700 35mm SLR, that's gotta be like 30 years old, and as long as there is still some 35mm film around, I don't see why I can't keep using it. What am I supposed to do? Say "Sorry Earth" and throw it in the bin that ends in the landfill? If it's still working, may as well still use it, after all it's been paid for, I got so many Zip diskettes that are still in good working order, so I may as well use them.

I know people will point out that USB is better than Zip, but that's fine for those who got to save files after files after files after files that are worth GBs after GBs, I still save some word processor files that are hardly worth more than half a MB to my still working 1.44MB floppy disk. i like to organise my files and save them to single Zip diskettes. For example, a friend asked me to take photos of her and create a personal calendar for her to give to her then boyfriend for Xmas, the whole project is hardly more than 50MB or something like that, and can fit on one Zip file, which I then label it and file it away somewhere.

I'm sorry you find my use of Zip 100MB disks to be, what? outdate and laughable while you find using USB cool, well excuse me, I do use USBs for photographic files that are too large for Zips, let alone CDs, and therefore I have nothing against USBs, but for me, my way still works, and I'm sure you know the saying: "If it isn't broken, don't fit it." My Zip diskettes is still useable so I don't see why I should stop using it and change it.

I'm planning on building my own computer, if I opt for 32 bit, I'll try to find any drivers for Zip diskette that I can still use, but if I want to use more than 4GB of RAM for graphic design work, I suppose I may as well give up Zip, but I've used my Windows 98 computer for years, and it feels good.

And a 100mb Zip disk costs you what per unit? Not seriously the £3+ a unit I just saw on amazon if that is really the price you must be bonkers :eek: you must be able to get 50 CDs for that price...not to mention if you need to send a friend some files they're more likely to have a CD drive what with it still just about being current tech :LOL:

Easy there tiger.

The point is, what are you going to do when that drive fails and media dries up.

Whoever said anything about USB being "cool"? However it is faster, larger capacity and not going to be obsolete for some time.

Fact is it's holding your system back in terms of performance. 4gb memory is the bare minimum for photo editing these days, even then the system will probably end up paging like a mother with any serious editing.

Oh and 98 was never "good " compared to xp and above. It's such an old os by todays standards.

Last edited:
And a 100mb Zip disk costs you what per unit? Not seriously the £3+ a unit I just saw on amazon if that is really the price you must be bonkers :eek: you must be able to get 50 CDs for that price...not to mention if you need to send a friend some files they're more likely to have a CD drive what with it still just about being current tech :LOL:

Does it matter? I bought it like as much as up to 15 years ago, so why should I care about costs per unit now? It's not like I bought it 15 years ago, check my bank account 15 minutes ago, and say "Oh! I've spent too much, I wish I didn't buy the Zip and gone for cheaper options." :)

That's history now.

And I do have a CD-writer, bought it about 7 years ago, for the photographic files, but still used the Zip for general files, it worked fine for me. Beside, when I sent files to a friend or two, it was like once or twice in the whole of 15 years, and the files fits into a floppy, which as you know, every computers have one. :)

Does it matter? I bought it like as much as up to 15 years ago, so why should I care about costs per unit now? It's not like I bought it 15 years ago, check my bank account 15 minutes ago, and say "Oh! I've spent too much, I wish I didn't buy the Zip and gone for cheaper options." :)

That's history now.

And I do have a CD-writer, bought it about 7 years ago, for the photographic files, but still used the Zip for general files, it worked fine for me. Beside, when I sent files to a friend or two, it was like once or twice in the whole of 15 years, and the files fits into a floppy, which as you know, every computers have one. :)

I'm talking about the writable media not the writer man...it's like anything times change...

I'm talking about the writable media not the writer man...it's like anything times change...

Put another way in terms of backup which is going to be easier for you to rescue in the event of household disaster? 1 x 3TB Portable Drive or 300ish Zips?

The point is, what are you going to do when that drive fails and media dries up.

Please don't worry about me, I'll be fine.

In addition to my Zip system, I have an external HDD, so I make secondary back up to the HDD, in case the Zip fails. Then again, I also have a CD-writer. My supply of Zip media is enough for my needs. I've managed for so long and beside, I'm planning on building my next computer so my back up system will be changed to suit the modern way.

Oh and 98 was never "good " compared to xp and above. It's such an old os by todays standards.

My Win98 is very good for my needs, I've done so much work on it and got away with it. (In fact, I'm currently making two fictional CD albums on it.) Of course, I'm reaching the point where my Win98 as well as the computer itself, are reaching their limits, hence my project to build my next new computer which will use Win 7.

Of course my system may be old compare to today's standards, but my system is still soldiering on, so for me, it's well worth the money. I'm still using my AMD K6-III computer, still on Win 98, with Zip disk drive, in the 15 years, and as far as I can tell, my ex-brother-in-law had changed computers as much as about up to 10 times! I also know a friend who upgraded to every new Windows OS whenever they comes out, yet is surprised at the fact that I still can get work done with Win98.

It may be an old dog but there's still life in the old dog. :)

Look guys, I know you find it bizarre that I'm still using Win98 and Zip disks, and consider those outdated, but I've managed so well for so long, I've reached a point where it is time for me to upgrade, and I expect the likelihood that I may give up the Zip if I want to opt for 64 bit Win 7 because old hardware have drivers designed for 32 bit, and all that. But until I build my more up-to-date modern computer and use USB or other modern back up systems, I'm sure my old timer system will still last a couple of more years.

Put another way in terms of backup which is going to be easier for you to rescue in the event of household disaster? 1 x 3TB Portable Drive or 300ish Zips?

Actually only 3 Zip disks! Yes really 3 diskettes.

I still use the Grandfather back up system on the Zip diskettes.

When the work have been done, they tend to get saved to the external HDD, then a copy is made to the USB which itself is taken off site.

But I would not bother to rescue those.

In the even of a household disaster, which would you consider more important? Your life or your media? My children comes first, to the hell with the media, be they a 3TB portable drive or 3 Zip diskettes.

When the work have been done, they tend to get saved to the external HDD, then a copy is made to the USB which itself is taken off site.

In the even of a household disaster, which would you consider more important? Your life or your media? My children comes first, to the hell with the media, be they a 3TB portable drive or 3 Zip diskettes.

I'm starting to wonder was you started this thread....I'm not any kind of tech guy...but you've had advice of some people that really know there stuff that helped me when I built my new editing machine :) but all you've done is pretty much dismiss it all over some contrived idea of including some tech that was out dated 10 years ago

Just for info, Windows 7 will recognise the ZIP drive just fine. No additional drivers needed.

Just for info, Windows 7 will recognise the ZIP drive just fine. No additional drivers needed.

But don't that applies to 32 bit version of Windows 7?

I heard that if you opt to install the 64 bit version, then older technology like the Zip would not work anymore?

Just to quote a point you raised earlier about floppies. I have 20+ computers at work and at home and not a floppy drive between them.

USB, cloud or NAS.

Just to quote a point you raised earlier about floppies. I have 20+ computers at work and at home and not a floppy drive between them.

USB, cloud or NAS.

Same. Dropbox made all of my small capacity storage devices redundant.

Not sure why this has gone for so many posts, you're getting a computer with 8gb ram, a 32 bit OS can not use all that ram and a 64bit OS will, simple.
Are you really considering wasting half the ram in the pc in order to use an old technology when there are far better/cheaper/reliable options available?

If your zip based backup consists of a total of 300mb (3x100mb zip disk) ditch that part of your backup solution and use something like Dropbox or Skydrive. Both can be set up to automatically sync/copy data. That way if disaster strikes then you can grab your children and your backup is already safe and sound in the cloud.

To be honest after reading through this thread, I have to ask, are you building this machine yourself or is someone building get it for you, if it is the latter I would seriously Consider finding get someone who is competent, as it's a School boy error trying to place that amount of ram on a 32bit system.
Place all your backup zip files onto a flash drive, and when the new pc is Complete, simply add a 2nd Hdd to the mix and use that purely for backup purposes, and have it to sync automatically to your chosen cloud service.
As it has been said, it's old technology that will ultimately limit what you can achieve, im well aware it still works.... So why fix it, it's the same principle as to when I used to Dj using vinyl it was great, but new tech has now made my life so much easier... To sum things up, find a competent person to build your pc, and ditch the zip drive

that very much depends whether the correct drivers are available.

is it an iomega?

Yes, it is Iomega.

I got an external Iomega Zip 100MB parallel port drive.

When I started my plans to custom build my next machine, I bought myself an internal Iomega Zip 100MB drive, just in case the parallel port is no longer used on modern motherboards.

But that was before i heard about the 32bit and 64bit difference.

Yes, it is Iomega.

When I started my plans to custom build my next machine, I bought myself an internal Iomega Zip 100MB drive, just in case the parallel port is no longer used on modern motherboards.

If your hell bent on keeping this zip drive, how about partitioning your main hard drive and running 2 os , stick a Linux based version on one and windows on the other,

Yes, it is Iomega.

parallel is dead. so are IDE/floppy connectors on most modern boards which im assuming the internal uses.

parallel is dead. so are IDE/floppy connectors on most modern boards which im assuming the internal uses.

Seriously scrap the zip drive as Neil has said you will not find a modern motherboard to support it, unless you go down the route of using sata-ide connectors, which to be fair I'm not sure are still available, there is not much has point in building an up to date machine and filling it with outdated hardware

If you need a zip drive to retrieve data (and not write it) you may be better off pulling the data off the drives and writing to something else (CD/DVD/cloud) and ditching the drive altogether.

I agree there should be no reason to consider keeping a zip drive if you are still thinking of writing to it (the only one I can think of is compatability with some other piece of h/w but relying on something not available seems a weak point!)

64 bit all the way (and I'd avoid Linux unless you want to really learn how to manage a computer ;))

Linux is EASIER than Windows. You can make it harder if you want to,but for every day use it certainly faster,easier and a damn sight SAFER than windows.
It does have one drawback,it doesnt run Windowes software without a special environment called WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). Software (free) is available to do just about anything and you dont end up with things like oddball toolbars on your Browser etc. and stupid pop-ups.

eddie

Back