32 bit or 64 bit

Go for the most up-to-date system you can. Technologies move on and while you may be able to find a workround at the moment, it is likely to be short lived.

The concern is that there may come a time when you can't get the data off the disks at all. Maybe a system update or whatever. However, if the data is only a copy, then you could use them up until that point if you really wanted to.

However, I would not handicap your machine in order to ensure compatibility with them.

I went through Syquest disks (44mb), zip disks and optical drives (230mb) and had loads of disks. All destroyed because they were flakey as heck and I would never trust them. Plus if you have data on and no way of reading the disks, it becomes a security issue to dispose of as you don't know what is on them.

This has turned into Anti-Windows Bingo. All we need now is some osx comments and someone to use the term "Windoze" and we'll have the full set.

Well. I have MAC osx, Linux (Ubuntu) and Solaris along with Windoze....some running in ESXi...... 'shouts HOUSE' do I win the bingo and whats the prize :D

Holy Hell zip drives :LOL: that's a blast from the past.

Im assuming this PC will have some sort of graphics card in it as well? Well some of your addressable space will be used addressing the video ram. Lightroom 32bit will be limited (in normal circumstances) to 2GB regardless of what OS it's used on. 2GB isn't a lot and lightroom eats this very quickly. You may find your lightroom powerhouse is being crippled in more ways than one.

As mentioned already depending on the age of your new PC you may find that the IDE bus it will no dount use (if it's like the old 3.5" internal I used to have) is absent in the new machine. This means you will want something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-IDE-A...ternal-Caddy-Enclosure-Case-NEW-/200753924822

Obviously your get better ones that's the first google result I pulled ;)

Either way this *should* then make the argument largely irrelevant as the hardware converts IDE to USB and im petty sure Imoega have had drivers included as standard since XP.

lightroom doesnt use much memory at all, ive never got it above 2.5 ish even on a heavy edit (its much more CPU and disk intensive). photoshop 64bit (CS4 and above) on the other hand..

Of course my system may be old compare to today's standards, but my system is still soldiering on, so for me, it's well worth the money. I'm still using my AMD K6-III computer, still on Win 98, with Zip disk drive, in the 15 years, and as far as I can tell, my ex-brother-in-law had changed computers as much as about up to 10 times! I also know a friend who upgraded to every new Windows OS whenever they comes out, yet is surprised at the fact that I still can get work done with Win98.

Make the new computer 64 bit so you have it future proofed. Keep the old computer to access your zip disks if you need to since it is still working, but implement a new backup mechanism on the new one before the old one fails.

Solved.

As an aside, I'm a huge enthusiast for the old MSDOS kernel, which Windows 98 is built upon, mainly for nostalgic reasons due to the amount of stuff I wrote based on the INT 21h interface, but it is way past its sell by date now. So many flaws and limitations that even I don't use it.

But don't that applies to 32 bit version of Windows 7? I heard that if you opt to install the 64 bit version, then older technology like the Zip would not work anymore?

Both. I've had to install on 32- and 64-bit.

Linux is EASIER than Windows. You can make it harder if you want to,but for every day use it certainly faster,easier and a damn sight SAFER than windows.
It does have one drawback,it doesnt run Windowes software without a special environment called WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). Software (free) is available to do just about anything and you dont end up with things like oddball toolbars on your Browser etc. and stupid pop-ups.

eddie
Hehe...

I run way morel Linux boxes here than Windows. I also manage and develop device drivers for embedded Linux systems.

I wouldn't use Linux as my primary computer though.... ;)

When I moved to Win 7 I got the 'professional' version which allows you to run a virtual 32bit windows session.
The need for this has now passed and I never use it.
Not sure if this is still supported under 8.

The only problems I had with 64bit was an old Epson scanner which didn't have new drivers - I switched to VueScan, which I still use even though I have a new scanner.

A Belkin card reader which I threw in the bin and vowed never to buy Belkin again.

I know this has been said, but back up your Zip drives to something current, then throw them away and load 64bit Windows.

Back