350D Vs 20D (and where to buy)

Edit My Images
No
As you probably know, my 300D is being repaired for the second time. When it's working again I'm going to sell it and get either a 350D (looking likely) or a 20D (less likely). I've also got a mate who's on the verge of getting a 350D as well, so I thought it'd be good to just check here with you guys.

Firstly, is the 20D worth the extra money? If so, why? I know it's slightly chunkier, has a faster, longer drive, has ISO 3200 and has nine AF points but that stuff isn't worth an extra £300 or so. Not to me, anyway. Are there any other reasons?

Secondly, assuming I go with a 350D (and also for the benefit of my friend), has anyone seen it cheaper than Cameras2u:
http://www.cameras2u.com/products/details.cfm?product=0210B014AA

Do Canon have any cashback offers on the 350D yet? I haven't seen any but it's always worth asking. I'd rather buy in the UK as I got my 300D from Hong Kong and it was more hassle than it was worth when it came to getting it fixed under warranty. I managed it but I'd rather not go through it all again.

Cheers guys. I'm gonna try to get to a Jessops so I can have a play with the 350D and the 20D and decide for myself but any tips/arguments greatly appreciated.

the 20's a more robust camera altogether, I think it's magnesium alloy throughout, which is handy if you happen to drop it with the 17-40 attached.

Shutter life expectancy is higher than the 350. I think you can get the details on Canon's web site.

Do you need to get it with the kit lens Jamey? Don't you already have this lens?

I did wonder about how sturdy they were actually. How likely is the 20D to survive (fully intact) a drop from head height onto the pavement with kit lens attached?

And yeah. I don't really need the kit lens but I haven't seen a decent price on body only. Got a link?

Well I've just had a play with both cameras in Jessops. The 20D does feel much nicer but feel alone isn't worth the price difference.

Interestingly in RAW mode both cameras take the same number of shots (six) before the buffer fills up. However the 20D seemed to transfer the shots to the CF card quicker and was able to take another shot within a second of the buffer filling. Need to do more tests on that though as I wasn't paying proper attention when testing the 350D.

Always thought it hard to justify the difference in price unless either a semi pro / pro who uses the camera a hell of a lot, or accident prone & could do with the extra strength of body ;)

20D vs 350D comparison

Things that are the same
  • The sensor, though actually different, is very similar in physical size and pixel count
  • Both have mirror lockup (enabled via a custom function)
  • Both have flash exposure compensation
  • Both have exposure compensation
  • Both can set shutter speed and compensation in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments
  • Both have manually selectable evaluative, partial and center weighted metering modes
  • Both have manually selectable one-shot, AI servo and AI focus autofocus modes (plus manual focus)
  • Both have user selectable second curtain flash sync
  • Both have the same white balance options
  • Both have a monochrome (B&W) shooting mode
  • Both have the same RAW and JPEG size and quality modes
  • Both have the same 1.8" rear color LCD, with the same 5 brightness settings
  • Both have the same selectable histogram display
  • Both can print directly to compatible printers
  • Both have a USB 2.0 interface
  • Both are effectively "instant on". Startup time is 0.2s
  • Both have the same white balance bracketing and correction
  • Both have buffer which holds 6 RAW files
  • Both use the .CR2 RAW file format

Things that are different, but not better or worse
  • The EOS 20D uses BP-511/512 batteries, while the Digital Rebel XT uses the NB-2LH.
  • The EOS 20D uses the RS-80N3 wired remote, the Digital Rebel uses the RS-60E3 wired remote.
  • The Digital Rebel XT is smaller than the EOS 20D. Whether this is good or bad depends a bit on the size of your hands. Some may find the Digital Rebel too small, some may find the EOS 20D too big.
  • The Digital Rebel XT is available in a silver finish. Some like it, some don't.
  • The Digital Rebel LCD information display is on the back of the camera. The EOS 20D LCD information display is on the top of the camera.
  • The layout of the menus for the two cameras is different. The layout on the EOS 20D is similar to that used on the EOS 10D and EOS 1D series cameras. They layout of the Digital Rebel XT is similar to the original Digital Rebel and the Powershot series of digicams.

Things that are different where the EOS 20D is better
  • The EOS 20D has a rear QCD (Quick Control Dial) which can be used to set exposure compensation, flash compensation, shutter speed or aperture in manual mode and has several other functions. The same functions are available in the Digital Rebel XT, but require the pushing of buttons. The advantage of the QCD is you can do things faster and without taking your eye from the viewfinder.
  • The EOS 20D can shoot at 5 frames/second, the Digital Rebel XT can shoot at 3 frames/sec
  • The EOS 20D can shoot a burst of 23 high resolution JPEG frames before the buffer fills, The Digital Rebel XT can shoot 14 frames
  • The EOS 20D has 9 autofocus zones, the Digital Rebel XT has 7
  • The EOS 20D provides full cross-type performance with maximum apertures as small as f5.6, yet it achieves up to 3 times the standard focusing precision when used with EF lenses featuring maximum apertures larger than or equal to f/2.8. The autofocus system of the Digital Rebel XT is inherited from the film Rebel XT body and has normal precision f5.6 sensors.
  • The EOS 20D autofocus is specified to operate in 1 stop lower light than the Digital Rebel autofocus (-0.5 EV vs +0/5 EV)
  • The EOS 20D autofocus is faster than the autofocus on the Digital Rebel XT
  • The EOS 20D has a top shutter speed of 1/8000s, the Digital Rebel XT has a top shutter speed of 1/4000s
  • The EOS 20D has a flash x-sync speed of 1/250s, the Digital Rebel x-sync speed is 1/200s
  • The EOS 20D has a pentaprism with a 0.9x viewfinder magnification, the Digital Rebel XT has a pentamirror with 0.8x magnification.
  • The EOS 20D has a highest ISO setting of 3200, the Digital Rebel XT has a high ISO setting of 1600.
  • The EOS 20D is good for 1000 shots (no flash) on a single battery charge, the Digital Rebel XT is good for 600.
  • The EOS 20D has a PC terminal for use with an external flash or strobe, the Digital Rebel XT does not.
  • The EOS 20D maximum flash sync voltage is 250v (for both the hotshoe and PC terminal), the Digital Rebel XT maximum sync voltage is also 250v, not 6v as I had earlier reported. Canon have recently stated that the Digital Rebel XT does in fact share the 250v sync voltage with the 20D and other high end Canon EOS bodies. Sorry for any confusion on this point.
  • The EOS 20D has a high performance shutter designed for increased reliability (100,000 cycles), the Digital Rebel XT has the normal Canon shutter (about 50,000 cycles).
  • The shutter lag time of the EOS 20D is 65ms, the shutter lag time of the Digital Rebel XT is 100ms.
  • The high-speed mirror drive give the EOS 20D a shortened viewfinder blackout time (115ms) compared to the Digital Rebel XT (170ms)
  • The EOS 20D sensor (8.2MP, 22.5 x 15mm) is very slightly larger and has slightly more pixels than the Digital Rebel XT sensor (8.0MP, 22.2 x 14.8mm).
  • The EOS 20D has a multi-controller on the back of the camera can be pushed in eight directions, as well as down in the center, to simplify selection of the AF point, correction of white balance, trimming of images during direct printing, scrolling of magnified images etc. The Digital Rebel XT uses push buttons for the same functions.
  • The EOS 20D has top, front and rear covers made of a magnesium alloy for added strength and rigidity. The top, front and rear covers of the Rebel XT are plastic.
  • The EOS 20D has 18 custom functions, the Digital Rebel XT has 9 (List of XT custom functions)

Things that are different where the Digital Rebel XT is better
  • Price - The Digital Rebel XT is around £300 cheaper!
  • The Digital Rebel can use the low cost RC-1 and RC-5 infrared remotes. The EOS 20D can't.
  • The Digital Rebel XT is lighter than the EOS 20D (17.1oz vs. 24.2oz)

From a personal view I think the 20D is worth the extra for the improved handling alone - i.e. The Quick control Dial, position of the info LCD, metal body etc..
These features don't improve the quality of your photos but make the camera a whole lot easier to use.

I hope that helps :)

excellent information SDK, thanks for posting!

Top post SDK^ and Jamey, I saw the 350 + kit lens for about £649 in Jacobs in New Oxford Street today and they tend to be pretty much on the button for an indicator of high street prices. The 20D body only (after Canon's £100 discount) is £799 or £849 with kit lens.

Jessops will price match the 350 + kit lens at £599. So the price difference is going to be about £250.

Maybe you should look at what lens that difference will buy you if you can afford the price.

For me it was pure ergonomics - the 20D won that hands down, but that is a very subjective judgement.And ta too, SDK^ I found you comparison very interesting and only confirms, to me, that I'm glad I got the 20D.

regards

I've got myself a 350d with kit lens here. Personally, i think the camera is perfect for what i do and what my needs are. I think for me the 20d would have been a bit overkill, as i cannot justify the extra few features for that major price difference.

One thing people will say that is bad about the camera is the size. Well i've got fairly big hands here, and i can honestly say that the camera for me is fine, and i've not had any issues regarding the size of the thing. If it comes to it, i'm sure the battery grip will be a welcome addition to it, and will give you some more room.

If you've got any questions about the camera don't hesitate to send me a PM or ask here :)

I too have a 350D and although I would have liked a 20D, I couldn't justify, nor afford the extra cost.

Even the size didn't bother me, I found it comfortable to hold, and I have quite big hands.

Then I met up with 6 others from here.
All of them had 20D's.

With battery grips.

I held one..

I cried.

I now need a battery grip.

When I bought the battery grip I found nirvana :whistling

regards

I think I'm starting to want a 20D now. It's like when you hear a song and think it's rubbish, but then catch yourself singing it.

I'm going to take one of my CF cards down to Jessops and take identical pics (or as near as hand-held will allow) on both cameras with the same settings and compare them on my PC. I'm hoping the 20D's pics will look better but I suspect they won't and I'll end up getting it anyway.

It's a shame it's happened this month. There's a pair of sneakers on eBay I've been waiting years to see (in my size). I'm gonna break the bank for them. Could do without buying £800 cameras at the same time.

Found the 20D for body only for £749 (so £649 with cashback) here:
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product_details.php?category_id=1&item_id=2

They look a bit dicey though. And I can't find any info but they have an office in Hong Kong so may not be UK stock.

Jonny said:
One thing people will say that is bad about the camera is the size. Well i've got fairly big hands here, and i can honestly say that the camera for me is fine, and i've not had any issues regarding the size of the thing. If it comes to it, i'm sure the battery grip will be a welcome addition to it, and will give you some more room.

It's strange, I don't have particularly large hands but I found the 20D a bit on the small size.

I bought the grip a couple of months ago and to start with thought that it ruined the camera. Now though I wouldn't be without it, it does make a big difference to the handling.

milou said:
...and it'll prepare you for that 1D Mark II...
LOL, it's not happening unless I win the lottery :)

Fingerz - have a read of this thread - some of the guy's replies are good. I went through the same as you are doing now - in the end, as said in the thread, it really is an emotive thing (ergonomics accepted). Other than the size the 350 would have met my needs but I know that if I'd bought the 350 and saved money I'd still be kicking myself now.

So if the size is right and specs are parable then go for what you want not what you ought to have. Looks a bit garbled that - so I hope you get the gist.

regards

Funny - it works for me. If you search in my posts for "Can you convince me not to get a 20D".

regards

fwiw, i went and tried the 300D, and the D70, and i ended up buying a 10D ;)
i got most of the advantages od the 20D (Mg alloy bodyetc) for the same price of the 300D/350D at the time, now it's even less, you can pick a 10D up for less than £500 - and worth every penny.

The way this is going I can see someone buying a 350D, 20D, 10D and 5D on pre-order ;)

I would recommend the 350D - not in comparison with any of the others but more on satisfaction with the camera. Just go and test every model thats in your price range and then take the one that you feel more comfortable with. Fact is alot of cameras will be better and worse on various points but each person will have a few flaws/benefits that are specific to themselves.

From reading the comparison from earlier in this thread I get the feeling that the difference between the 20D and the 350D is roughly the same between the 300D and the 350D, i.e. nothing massive just lots of little improvements.

I think you know the answer to this Q. Jamey, if you can afford it go with the 20D. If not then its the 350D.

I think I've pretty much decided on the 20D.

Just wish I knew how far away a replacement (30D/whatever) was and what the spec was so I could choose.

I'm guessing it's not far away because they've got the £100 cashback, which is what they did on the 300D right before the 350D was released. I guess they do it to try to clear the stock a bit. But then again, while the replacement will be better and similarly priced, it won't have the cashback so I could look at it as getting a cheap 20D, without having to buy second-hand, or on eBay.

I wouldn't think there's a 20D replacement due just yet Jamey, it hasn't been out all that long. The 5D would seem to be an inducement for 20D owners to upgrade to full frame?

I have very few gripes with the 20D. If I was to be really picky I'd say the things I don't like are..

No ISO visible in the viewinder or the LCD screen

No viewfinder blind

A bit of a performance to set up mirror lock-up via the menus.

No spot metering

The shutter is a tad on the noisy side.

These gripes are reasonable I think, given the price of the camera.

These niggles are far outweighed though by the camera's plus points - battery life is very impressive as is the buffering ability. Coupled with a fast CF card, the camera is extremely quick to use, and you can always take that next shot - I've never locked out the buffer yet. :)

Cheers CT. Out of those the noisy shutter is the only thing that might bother me. Given my attempts to do street stuff a whisper-quiet shutter would be lovely but I'm not going to get one within my budget.

What would you class as a fast CF card?

My main one is one of these but I can't find what "X" rating it is.

Good link there from Warspite! :)

I'm using a San Disk Ultra 2 1.0 GB - can't fault it.

I use Sandisk Ultra 2's aswell - started after hearing a rumour about certain Lexar cards playing up on some Canon EOS cameras (not sure if this has been fixed yet).

Anyway here's a LINK about it

Right then... It's official... I'm going to buy a 20D.

Jessops Croydon will price match Cameras2u so that's £890, plus the £100 cashback makes a grand total of £790. With any luck I might get £300 for the 300D when I sell it on eBay. Certainly £250 I'd hope.

So... Getting it from Jessops means no agonising wait, right?

Wrong. I'm away this weekend with the missus. Leaving straight from work tonight. If I'd thought about it properly, I could've packed some lenses, a charged battery and my CF card and then bought from a Jessops nearby. But I didn't. So I'll have to wait til Monday and go in before work (stupid 5:30pm closing time).

One thing... With the body-only 20D you still get a battery, charger and all the gubbins you get with the kit version, right? It's just the lens that's missing from the box?

Good decision Jamey, and a great price! :thumb: Yes - you'll get everything you should get except the lens. I'd have thought a large branch like Croyden would have had a 20D in stock. When I've bought from Jessops in the past they've often got me stuff in from another branch when I wanted it in a hurry, but if you're going away tonight it doesn't give them much chance I suppose.

Cheers CT.

I did a bad job of explaining that, didn't I.

The Croydon branch do have a 20D in stock and they're holding it for me. But I can't make it down after work as I'm off with the missus. I could, however, buy the 20D from a Jessops near where we'll be staying but it'd be useless as I haven't packed any lenses/batteries/etc (already at work with my bag) so it wouldn't be any use until I got home.

Might make an effort to get back early Sunday and pick it up before they shut as I'm going to see a friend's band's debut gig Sunday night and it'd be a good first test.

I think you made the right decision there mate. Nice one.

Sounds like a snap decision then Jamey - I'm pretty good at those. :LOL:

Try to maintain some interest in the weekend away, and not have the 1000 yard stare every time the missus speaks to you.:D

Cheers. I'm happy already and I haven't even got it yet.

Gonna see if I win an eBay auction for a 1GB SanDisk Extreme III CF card too. The going rate in shops seems to be about £60-£70, which is a little steep considering I've already got a 1GB card that I could live with.

I paid 60 quid for my card off ebay so you're doing alright there, and you're going to see a 4 or 5 times increase in processing speed - press the shutter and the image is on the preview screen virtually instantly. ;)

fingerz said:
Cheers. I'm happy already and I haven't even got it yet.

Gonna see if I win an eBay auction for a 1GB SanDisk Extreme III CF card too. The going rate in shops seems to be about £60-£70, which is a little steep considering I've already got a 1GB card that I could live with.

I'd save a few quid and go for the Ultra II, you're really not going to notice the speed difference.

Back