35mm Bulk Loading Film. Is It Worth The Effort ?

Well it would be cheaper to try and get the best out of Agfa Vista (Fuji C200) in the poundland shops. ;)

With 35mm costing around £5 a roll for 36 frames, I was thinking about the bulk loading option.

Anyone got any experience with this and do you think it works out far more economically.

I did a little bit of bulk loading with some Double X last year. It was fine apart from when I had a problem with one of the rolls detaching from the spool. It probably happened because I froze the film after loading it into the cassette, then used it in a hot climate causing the tape to lose it's stickiness. It works out a lot cheaper once you have paid for the cost of the loader. Maco Direct seem to have the best prices on bulk rolls, assuming you buy enough to justify the postage (just over £10 at the current exchange rate)...but you do get a free bag of Haribo sweeties, which needs to be factored in :)

https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/black-und-white-films/?p=1&o=1&n=36&f=353

With 35mm costing around £5 a roll for 36 frames, I was thinking about the bulk loading option.

do you think it works out far more economically.

Are you shooting a couple of rolls of film a week or two dozen??

If the latter then bulk is a definite consideration, however if like myself you're unlikely to regularly shoot more than 4 rolls a month, then my reply to your question would be no........for me, the savings would be minimal and not worth the faff of reloading cassettes.

Are you shooting a couple of rolls of film a week or two dozen??

If the latter then bulk is a definite consideration, however if like myself you're unlikely to regularly shoot more than 4 rolls a month, then my reply to your question would be no........for me, the savings would be minimal and not worth the faff of reloading cassettes.

At the moment only a couple of rolls a week, sometimes less but thats probably due to the cost of the film and been more selective. I develop at home with HC110 which is very economical so my thought process was that bulk loading would allow me to shoot more and experiment more at a much lower cost

Depends on the film you're going to use in the bulk loader whether it'll give you worthwhile savings. I gave it a go with HP5+ but wanted to switch to Tri-X because I prefer it and Tri-X is cheaper buying individual rolls than in bulk o_O

Interesting website [Macodirect], have you used them before

I've used them a couple of times, Ian. They have a decent range of film, and I've noticed (but not used) the bulk amounts. Last time I looked, their film prices had gone up a lot (in Euros); with their high postal charges I am probably looking elsewhere for most of my film. But they'll stay on my list. Good packaging, reasonable delivery times.

How many 36exp rolls can you get from 30 metres ?

I'm currently using bulk and do not have any kind of problems with it, the cassettes are reliable and the loader too, even when did not have the loader and did it manually was not so difficult. In my experience so far, the best of using bulk is the possibility of select how many exposures I want for each cassette, 36 exp is too much and takes too long to finish it, now I'm using 12 or 15 exp. And if I need to go for a test to try some new camera body or lens, I can prepare one of 5 or 10 exp.

The most noticeable difference on the price is between 17 meters and 30 meters rolls, usually one will think about 30m costing almost like 2 rolls of 17m but it is much cheaper, but that depends on the kind and brand of film too.

I always try to go low cost, if you check Maco Direct for a new Bulk Loader it will cost between 80-90 Euros, I bought mine (a 2nd hand Kaiser) on Ebay for 20, the only things I bought new are the cassettes (also Kaiser, a pack of 5), but you can reuse the metal ones too, I've tried it and works OK. So no need to expend large amounts of money on this bulk thing.

And then, you have the hobby factor, I like and enjoy preparing my own film cassettes. :)

How many 36exp rolls can you get from 30 metres ?

1x36exp = 1.65 meters

Last edited:
Depends on the film you're going to use in the bulk loader whether it'll give you worthwhile savings. I gave it a go with HP5+ but wanted to switch to Tri-X because I prefer it and Tri-X is cheaper buying individual rolls than in bulk o_O

It's entirely this, really. I like T-Max 400 and Tri-X for 35mm, and bulk rolls of both cost significantly more (the last time I pondered this question) compared to single rolls, which also gives additional flexibility.

Additionally, if you don't like the film, it's much easier to sell individual boxed rolls than a partially used bulk roll of film stuck in a loader.

I'm currently using bulk and do not have any kind of problems with it, the cassettes are reliable and the loader too, even when did not have the loader and did it manually was not so difficult. In my experience so far, the best of using bulk is the possibility of select how many exposures I want for each cassette, 36 exp is too much and takes too long to finish it, now I'm using 12 or 15 exp. And if I need to go for a test to try some new camera body or lens, I can prepare one of 5 or 10 exp.

This is a big advantage of bulk loading. I've just bought a 17m roll of FP4 to test my B&W reversal process so I can load cassettes with four or five shots. Much cheaper than wasting 120 rolls of FP4 that I'll be using for the 'real' photos when I've got the process sorted out.

Re. Macodirect: I use them all the time. Very good prices for film and they have a vast range of products. Their negative sleeves are also excellent and a lot cheaper than elsewhere. Their prices for paper and chemicals have risen to around the same level as UK shops recently...at least the ones I buy, so I've started using AG Photographic more for that stuff. Maco's postage works out around £11 which isn't bad from Germany, especially when you buy a load of heavy stuff. The delivery normally takes two or three days. They are also really helpful if you email them with technical questions. I've asked about things like the composition of individual C41 chemicals (where I wanted to mix different brands of chemicals) and they came back quickly with the info. But more importantly, how can you not love a company who puts packs of Haribo in with your Tri-X?

I've never understood Kodak's pricing for bulk film, it's just plain crazy. Tri-X is my favourite film, hence I never buy bulk loads anymore. When I was a schoolboy it was so cheap that it was worthwhile. When FP4 was introduced, it was almost like they were giving FP3 away. I can't remember the exact price but do know that I had miles of the stuff, which kept me going for years.

I've never understood Kodak's pricing for bulk film, it's just plain crazy. Tri-X is my favourite film, hence I never buy bulk loads anymore. When I was a schoolboy it was so cheap that it was worthwhile. When FP4 was introduced, it was almost like they were giving FP3 away. I can't remember the exact price but do know that I had miles of the stuff, which kept me going for years.

Well going back even farther, once upon a time you could buy large reels of B\W movie film at bargain prices...h'mm probably some guy in the studio nicking it ;)

Last edited:
Well going back even farther, once upon a time you could buy large reels of B\W movie film at bargain prices...h'mm probably some guy in the studio nicking it ;)

You can still get hold of reels of Double X and the two ORWO movie films in 35mm, but the price isn't worth the bother. When I last priced it up via the ORWO dealer, it wasn't much cheaper than buying FP4 by the roll.

I quite fancy the bulk loader for some of the more unusual stuff you can pick up but I never use my 35mm gear.

You can still get hold of reels of Double X and the two ORWO movie films in 35mm, but the price isn't worth the bother. When I last priced it up via the ORWO dealer, it wasn't much cheaper than buying FP4 by the roll.

Anyone know what B\W 35mm film Hollywood (or British) used in late 1950s -1960s...probably Kodak........I've forgotten what I bought. :eek:

Anyone got any experience with this and do you think it works out far more economically.

I tried it years ago and found it useful for loading a bit less film so that it went on the spiral a bit easier, possibly 30 exposures or something like that. I've a feeling it may even by sitting at the back of a cupboard somewhere, so let me know if it's of interest at postage only and I'll have a look for it. @TheBigYin I think that keeps me on the right side of the classifieds, doesn't it?

So somebody might be interested in buying the bulk 35m loader I bought over 30 years ago and never used, even when I only shot 35mm film? I found it recently and something rattles inside it and I binned all the empty cannisters decades ago. I hate to say it, but if you need to take that many pictures on 35mm, go digital. Burn (me) the heretic if you like, but back in the day loads of people bought those bulk loaders but hardly anybody used them.

So somebody might be interested in buying the bulk 35m loader I bought over 30 years ago and never used, even when I only shot 35mm film? I found it recently and something rattles inside it and I binned all the empty cannisters decades ago. I hate to say it, but if you need to take that many pictures on 35mm, go digital. Burn (me) the heretic if you like, but back in the day loads of people bought those bulk loaders but hardly anybody used them.
But it's not just about shooting loads of 35mm, sometimes it's about shooting short rolls for testing cameras or techniques or for the POTY or sometimes you just want to a few shots of something and don't need to shoot a whole roll of Tri-X. I know a lot of people buy bulk loaders and they never get into the routine of using them and they just sit unused for years I know the one I had back in the 80's did but that's really no excuse for shooting digital, I think you may be missing the point a little bit.

But it's not just about shooting loads of 35mm, sometimes it's about shooting short rolls for testing cameras or techniques or for the POTY or sometimes you just want to a few shots of something and don't need to shoot a whole roll of Tri-X. I know a lot of people buy bulk loaders and they never get into the routine of using them and they just sit unused for years I know the one I had back in the 80's did but that's really no excuse for shooting digital, I think you may be missing the point a little bit.

...and hopefully to save money buying bulk.....but in 1963 there were no bargains at Wallace Heaton e.g. 35mm 36 exp FP3 was 35p and 17m in bulk was £1.60.

Last edited:
I remember buying 36 exposure 'refills' of FP4 when I was a kid. They were a bit cheaper, but I eventually bought a loader and bulk film. It worked well, and I used the regular cassettes and the special ones designed for reloading, but I think (this was a long time ago) the best of it was being able to load fairly short lengths for 10 - 15 exposures. Seems a bit odd now, but I relished the idea of having 36 exposures available when I moved from 127/120 to 35mm, but I sometimes found 36 was too much, and I remember just shooting if off, or wasting the rest of it, if I wanted to get on with the D & P.

I've no idea what happened to the loader, but I expect it got thrown out or lost at some point. I tossed my film processing gear years ago, together with an excellent 35RC and a couple of other film cameras, which was a bit stupid, but there's no point getting upset about it now. I still shoot my F2 and FM occasionally, but not enough to justify reloading film.

For me the answer is no,but,each to there own.

If you want to do this then do it.:)

Ian,has not been active very much,so maybe not that interested.

Last edited:
The real money saver with bulk loading is colour movie film. Kodak Vision 3 stocks such as 50D and 500T (same stuff as Cinestill) work out around 50p for a 36exp roll when you buy short ends and re-cans.

What about 70mm film for MF....might be old stock if not made now. Mind you, how do you get it on the spool? Ok use a pair of scissors in a changing bag :eek:

kreiter_projector3_biz-5409.jpg

Last edited:
What about 70mm film for MF....might be old stock if not made now. Mind you, how do you get it on the spool? Ok use a pair of scissors in a changing bag

I believe one of the companies that regularly posts in film groups on facebook did try this, though I'm not sure how they went about cutting it. I could be wrong, of course, I often am, but possibly Nik & Trick? There's nothing on their website at the moment but they do carry unusual film stock at times .. which reminds me, I have a few rolls knocking about that I must get around to using. I'm such a slacker :oops: :$

I believe one of the companies that regularly posts in film groups on facebook did try this, though I'm not sure how they went about cutting it. I could be wrong, of course, I often am, but possibly Nik & Trick? There's nothing on their website at the moment but they do carry unusual film stock at times .. which reminds me, I have a few rolls knocking about that I must get around to using. I'm such a slacker :oops: :$

Well Dean it's probably a non starter ATM i.e. faffing around.....with the country doing quite well and plenty of money floating around, so people would just pay the extra for a roll of Portra etc for convenience.

What about 70mm film for MF....might be old stock if not made now. Mind you, how do you get it on the spool? Ok use a pair of scissors in a changing bag :eek:

kreiter_projector3_biz-5409.jpg

I've seen a couple of threads around this topic, and they usually fall flat when the OP realises you have to source backing paper and roll it perfectly with the film. Forget that!

I've seen a couple of threads around this topic, and they usually fall flat when the OP realises you have to source backing paper and roll it perfectly with the film. Forget that!
I've never actually used 220 film, but I seem to remember that it didn't have backing paper fitted? Could this be the hidden opportunity to breathe life into all those old 220 backs that are gathering dust due to lack of 220 film? :thinking:

I've never actually used 220 film, but I seem to remember that it didn't have backing paper fitted? Could this be the hidden opportunity to breathe life into all those old 220 backs that are gathering dust due to lack of 220 film? :thinking:

Isn't 220 film even worse, in that there is a paper leader that has to be rolled very precisely to the point where the film begins? I'm completely guessing, as I shot my first rolls of 220 last week.

Isn't 220 film even worse, in that there is a paper leader that has to be rolled very precisely to the point where the film begins? I'm completely guessing, as I shot my first rolls of 220 last week.
Just use your 220 backs like 120 backs, sure the spacing can be a little odd but when your a saving a load on the cost what's not to like?

Tucked away at the very end of the price list for Ilford's annual run of ULF and unusual size film was an offer for 120 backing paper, and this was £90 for 100ft/30.5m. http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/120-backing-paper-100ft305m-3503-p.asp Now I can't actually recall how much backing a 120 film needs, but I'm guessing 1m or more, so about 30 rolls of 120 or £3 per roll prior to the actual film cost, and how much of this have we binned as "worthless"? :facepalm:

Ian... where are you???:thinking:

Back