35mm Slides to PC advice

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for advice!!!!!!!!!! :help:

I've been fully digital for years now and have finally decided to sort all the old slides out.
I have hundreds of 35mm slides I want scanning for my PC
Do any of you guys have any recommendations on best (affordable) scanners?
or am I best to send slides of to lab?
All advice and recomendations much appreciated

Cheers
Martin

I had a similar problem a while back, loads of old slides slowly deteriorating. I ended up buying a Minolta dimage film scanner on ebay. It took quite a few months to scan the stuff in and then I sold it again at £20 more than I'd paid for it!

Nikon also do some pretty good film scanners. But it can take a while, I just did a few batches of slides when I felt like it. It could be pretty boring just trying to scan too many too quickly.

cheers
Bill

I have an Epson V700 flatbed scanner which is very close to dedicated scanner quality. There are cheaper and more expensive options, but I'd avoid the really cheap end of the market or you're likely to be disappointed with the results.

Thanks guys. (y)
All i need to do now is decide on what scanner to get.
Do the older scanners like the coolscan 3, work ok with Vista? or do i need to buy a newer up-todate scanner?

Martin

My advice would be not to waste your life scanning hundreds of slides but just scan each one as and when you want to use it.

Steve.

Thanks guys. (y)
All i need to do now is decide on what scanner to get.
Do the older scanners like the coolscan 3, work ok with Vista? or do i need to buy a newer up-todate scanner?

Martin

Sorry for the delay Martin.
I'm honestly not sure. I know the Minolta software worked fine with XP Pro, but I can't speak for Vista. I suspect it would be ok but I've nothing tp prove it. Maybe someone else has an answer?

Look on ebay - there's a couple or more people offering scanning services for a price you may think is reasonable, given the cost of buying a scanner, sucking up months of your life, and achieving average to mediocre results. No refection on your skill - just what you will achieve from a flatbed scanner and 35mm. A dedicated scanner will give you better - at a price - but then there's still the months of your life taken from you, your family, your pub, your mistress.......

I did a slightly naughty. I had literally hundreds of slides of the kids, shots of Aden, Bahrain and Cyprus, all taken during my army days. They sat in boxes for years. I ordered a dedicated 35mm scanner from QVC-30 day no quibble return option. Spent the time scanning (i am retired so time no object). Brialliant results, then returned it "it doesnt quite give me the standard i was looking for"

Didnt cost me anything but time;)

cheers Brian

I did a slightly naughty. I had literally hundreds of slides of the kids, shots of Aden, Bahrain and Cyprus, all taken during my army days. They sat in boxes for years. I ordered a dedicated 35mm scanner from QVC-30 day no quibble return option. Spent the time scanning (i am retired so time no object). Brialliant results, then returned it "it doesnt quite give me the standard i was looking for"

Didnt cost me anything but time;)

cheers Brian

LOL tut-tut :LOL:

Back