40D: Pre-purchase comments?

Edit My Images
Yes
This sounds like a really stupid question, but is there anything I need to know before I buy a 40D right now? I'll be getting it for £550 + £100 cashback.

I'm just wondering if there's any reason not to plop down the cash. For example, if there's some new model coming out soon and the price would drop. Something like that.

Just making sure -- I get the butterflies with dropping down so much money.

Can't really think of anything, other than that the 40D has first generation Live View. For £450, it's an absolute bargain for what the camera does.

AFAIK, the only new release is the 1000D, which is very entry level and not on the same planet as the 40D. You can't really go wrong for the price, you really can't.

On the other hand, if you'd rather not part with the cash, a nice cheque payable to moi would be most appreciated, for a 17-40mm L:LOL::D

At that price you would be mad not too (y)

If you are constantly waiting for the new model you will never buy a camera and hence never use it :).

Canon do have an 18 month replacement cycle on thier xxD series but why wait? when I bought my 20D it cost me £1000 and then the 30D came out within 6 months and the wifes 30D was £650 but I am glad I didn't wait and miss all the shots I took in the mean time.

If you can afford it BUY IT!!!!

I am extremely pleased with mine. Nothing touches it for value. Go for it.

Done. Paypaled the whole shebang.

I feel a bit sick. Hopefully, that'll pass after I lay my hands on it. I'll be a good upgrade from my 350D.

Thanks for cheering me on, guys.

We're great at spending other peoples money :D
I am sure you won't be dissapointed either (y)

Done. Paypaled the whole shebang.

I feel a bit sick. Hopefully, that'll pass after I lay my hands on it. I'll be a good upgrade from my 350D.

Thanks for cheering me on, guys.

Chalk & cheese come to mind (in a positive way) You'll love it - ENJOY :)

Theo, you have nothing to be apprehensive about. I paid a lot more for mine, but bought it only a month or so after they came out.

Trust me, you'll be amazed by the performance difference from the 350D. Just enjoy and look forward to getting it!!!! (y)

You will love it, moved up from a 400D to 40D earlier this year, and they price you got it for, its a steal, enjoy.

This sounds like a really stupid question, but is there anything I need to know before I buy a 40D right now? I'll be getting it for £550 + £100 cashback.

I'm just wondering if there's any reason not to plop down the cash. For example, if there's some new model coming out soon and the price would drop. Something like that.

It's a canon? :LOL:

I bought it from kerso.

It is indeed an excellent price -- about £20 = $40 cheaper than its price on the American market and £40-£50 cheaper than most UK sellers, last I looked.

Kerso is quoting £650 on it? Body only, right?

you'd be better off contacting Ian (kerso) by e-mail and asking him for his current price, i don't think it'll be £650 it should be quite a bit cheaper than that... i bought my 40D from Mifsuds about 2months ago (excellent service by the way) for £599 and got my £100 cashback...

i also upgraded from the 350D and am extemely pleased with the 40D, only problem is you can't put it down and have found myself spending more money on new lenses to compliment it...

btw the IQ far exceeds my previous DSLR

i also upgraded from the 350D and am extremely pleased with the 40D, only problem is you can't put it down and have found myself spending more money on new lenses to compliment it...

Snap! :D Got my 40D for a steal at Focus in February. Since then seem to have managed to spend £1500 or thereabouts on lenses and speedlites :LOL:

But Hey! you only live once...

Sue, would you mind me asking what you paid for your 40D, i was planning to go to Focus but had to work at the last minute... regarding purchase of new items i've found myself buying 2 'L' lenses, new camera bag x 2, a new carbon fibre tripod (MF4) and head, and a 2 x teleconverter... my bank balance can't take much more...

you'd be better off contacting Ian (kerso) by e-mail and asking him for his current price, i don't think it'll be £650 it should be quite a bit cheaper than that...

Cheaper? CHEAPER?

I'm pretty much all out of excuses now.

I swapped a 1DMK2n for the 40D and have no regrets whatsoever. ;)

Yes mate, I've had one on the brain for the last six months or so. Love the idea though I do, I just don't have that sort of capital. At least not in one go. And I have the credit rating of Nick Leeson.

i must admit the upgrade had been on my mind for ages before actually taking the plunge...

I can't follow all the various 1D MkXXX models, but did you reckon the 40D was an upgrade?

No, in fact most people would see it as a downgrade in terms of price and some features. The 40D does have huge advantages though behind a long lens making it in many respects, the best camera for wildlife. I loved my 1 Series body, but it just wasn't getting me the results with long lenses that the 20d did. The 40D is even better.

Ive got a 40D too, it seems very good, although LiveView seems to switch itself on occasionally for no apparent reason ....:thinking:

I had that problem I seem to remember. You can disable Live View in the custom functions, which I've done now as I'm not it's biggest fan anyway.

There probably is a new camera coming (5D mkII maybe) and I'm pretty sure it'll be ceaper in a few months time than it is now. But you've got to get a stick in the ground at some point.

I bought a 40D a few months ago and I love it and I really can't think of anything I'd change on it. It is a formidable camera but then again, I've never tried a 1D, so who knows.

Buy it and get out there and enjoy yourself.

No, in fact most people would see it as a downgrade in terms of price and some features. The 40D does have huge advantages though behind a long lens making it in many respects, the best camera for wildlife. I loved my 1 Series body, but it just wasn't getting me the results with long lenses that the 20d did. The 40D is even better.

I had a 20D and to be honest I thought it was horrible. But it was the first digital SLR I'd ever had and I was used to Contax film equipment.

What really bugged me with the 20D was that you pressed the menu button with your nose while looking through the viewfinder. :wacky: Perhaps my nose is just in the wrong place.::D

The 40D is so much better. The pictures look great straight off the memory card.

LOL Still got the 20D for backup and still rate it as a good camera. The 40D does produce nicer images straight out of the tin, no doubt due to the new Digic 3 processor.

I have recently gone from a 350D to a 40D and there are, apart from cost, no down sides other than the learning process of all the additional features.

Compared to the 350D, you get:

• A much more updated sensor and greatly advanced processor
  • Up to 6.5fps should you require it (although it will shoot at around 2fps as well)
  • A much bigger screen on the back, a huge improvement on the 350D
  • Live View - I used in anger for the first time this weekend, connected to my laptop - ace!
  • Handling - it is heavy (especially with the grip) but it feels so much better in the hand
  • Control - having the additional controller on the rear makes manual shooting much easier

I could go on, but they are the main things that I have really noticed in the few weeks I've had mine.

Steve

Could someone please come along and say why upgrading is a bad idea. My bank manager dislikes me enough already :D

And Steve, reminding me that you can use live view connected to a laptop makes me inner geek weep with joy.

Upgrading is bad as its already been mentione that once you have the 40d you will then go out and spend on some quality glass to go with it. Like Idid.

I went from a 400d with kit lens to:

40d
Canon 24 - 120mm L
Canon 70 - 200mm L
Sigma 120 - 400mm + 2 x convertor.

Then had to buy the missus a sigma 70 - 300m APO DG to go with the 400d.

Upgrading is bad as its already been mentione that once you have the 40d you will then go out and spend on some quality glass to go with it. Like Idid.

I went from a 400d with kit lens to:

40d
Canon 24 - 120mm L
Canon 70 - 200mm L
Sigma 120 - 400mm + 2 x convertor.

Then had to buy the missus a sigma 70 - 300m APO DG to go with the 400d.

Fortunately, I already have some decent glass: 10-22, 17-55 f/2.8, and 70-200 f4L.

It's really the body that was a bit outdated.

And Steve, reminding me that you can use live view connected to a laptop makes me inner geek weep with joy.

Well here's something for you then.....

It's not a particularly good shot, as I was holding the camera in my left hand while I did it.....

remote1.jpg

One of the advantages of LiveView and the EOS utility software :|

I'm just trying to think when it would be really useful though... I will do eventually, other than "just because you can" :LOL:

Steve

Back