430ex II or 580ex II

bastic

A star
Name
Lukas
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it really worth to pay around 100 pounds more for 580 ?
I dont have a flashgun so im looking for one...but when I see how expensive 580 is...that sets me off:) so instead, I was thinking about getting 430ex II...
as a 'amateur' would I miss any extra features of 580 ?
or maybe I should be looking in to Sigma guns ?

Forget the Sigma option. For full functionality, stick with the EOS range. In your position, I'd go for the 430EX, even though I've just bought a 580EX II. It will have all the functions you require and you can put the £100 saved towards something else, like an Angle-Finder C.

what is it you want a flashgun for?

what is it you want a flashgun for?

mostly for indoors, like friend meetings/parties/maybe for some 'tourist stuff' ...Last time I was on a wedding of my cousin I found that built-in flash is useless :D
not a studio work for sure ;) not yet at least haha

and as an option for later if there is some kind of a cable for 430 so it doesnt have to be on the camera all the time?

EDIT forgot to mention that im going in to the mountains for new years eve with some friends and as it will be getting dark quite quickly flash gun would be very usefull for those outdoor shots on snow etc:)

you can use the off shoe cord with the 430 no problem :)

Based on what you're looking for it to do the 430 is probably enough. The main reason I went for 580's is that I can use them with an external power supply, gives quicker recharging and more capacity. You can't do that with the 430.

you can use the off shoe cord with the 430 no problem :)

Based on what you're looking for it to do the 430 is probably enough. The main reason I went for 580's is that I can use them with an external power supply, gives quicker recharging and more capacity. You can't do that with the 430.

Thats the answer I was looking for :)
Thanks Dod :)
btw: more or less, how many shots can 430 do on one charge?

btw: more or less, how many shots can 430 do on one charge?

The advice to get the 430 is spot on. 580 is good, but only if you need that little bit extra.

With reference to batteries, I'd suggest investing in a decent set of rechargeables. I've managed to shoot an event and not need to change batteries at all. That's over 400 pics.

The advice to get the 430 is spot on. 580 is good, but only if you need that little bit extra.

With reference to batteries, I'd suggest investing in a decent set of rechargeables. I've managed to shoot an event and not need to change batteries at all. That's over 400 pics.

400 is more than enough for a nite out ;) but will get some batteries as well :)
Thank you for a good advice saving me some money :D
Dod:thx for link :)
Lukas

I've got one of each (MK1 version), but only use the 580 when I want to use a master/slave set up. Otherwise find the 430 more user friendly due to it's slightly smaller size and less weight. deffo don't go for anything other than canon (or same make as your camera body) where flash guns are concerned.

I was wondering about this a few weeks ago

I ended up buying a slightly older 550EX and saving a bundle! It can act as a wireless master and high-speed flash too!

Back