450D rumor maybe porkies

S

Ste1976

Ok was in my local Camera shop this afternoon & asked the assistant have you heard anything yet on the Canon 450D to which he replied yeah with a grin, so i asked him to spill the beans.

Well this is what he told me take it with a pinch of salt
Canon rep told him he was under NDA whatever that means and not to disclose anything till the 24th of this month.

Well he could have broke that rule maybe lol

Anyways hear what ive been told

Launch 8th of Feb price to be comfirmed Still

12mp digic III
9 point AF
Live View
Thumb Wheel instead of buttons different from the 40D because the increase in screen size
ISO100 to 3200
still no spot metering
slightly better AF
2.7" screen not 3" like been said 230,000 megapixel
Body shape similar to the 400D but better quality
BG-E3 grip fits
3fps same as the 400D
NO MOVIE MODE
NO BUILT IN IS

Bodies available in either Silver or Black
available either body only or as a kit with the 18-55mm IS lens

Now like i said this could be complete bullcrap so don't have a go at me im only telling you what i was told today.

But if these specs do turn out to be true then i think i go for the 40D instead on Friday.

12MP - nope. Possibly have a DIGIC III but it will definatly NOT be 12MP. That would make it higher than the 40D. And about equal to a 5D...LOL. Plus it would make it more expensive. Most likely will have either the same 10.1 sensor as the 400D, an improved version of that sensor or the same as the 40D (probably will be the same sensor as the 400D).

9 point AF - yeah will have that, be the same as the 400D, perhaps imrpoved a little.

Live view - as I said in another topic, it's very unlikely that it will have live view. It's a feature that Canon are likely to save for their better cameras. The 450D is supposed to be the ultimate affordable DSLR for amaturs, why would they put live view in it, it would just make the 40D a waste of time.

Thumb whheel - nope, again, a feature of the higher grade Canon cameras and not something they would put in an amatur grade camera.

ISO will be same as before, won't go up to 3200, again a feature saved for more expensive cameras.

Yeah the AF might be slightly better, those AF points will probably all become cross type.

Bigger LCD is a probability, I would say 2.7" might be about right.

Body will be pretty much the same to the 400D, they might move some buttons around but won't be much difference in terms of build quality.

3fps will probably stay the same or get an upgrade to 4 or 5fps possibly.

No canon camera has movie mode (waste of time, its a still DSLR, not a video camera) or image stabilisation, get a lens with one.

The guy who told you that is probably just talking crap. If he was under an NDA, which is a non-discolsure agreement then he could have been sued by Canon for disclosing information. Not that Canon would EVER tell some average-joe camera shop salesman about a product that hasent even been announced yet.

Seriously, the 450D isn't going to be a big change. Realistically Canon could have put all these kinds of features in it years ago, but they need to keep it in the 'affordable amatur DSLR' range.

Canon don't just send their reps around to random camera shops telling them about new products that haven't been announced. And when you read stuff about Canon employees leaking information...no, just no. They would get fired streight away if they did. It's usualy just some guy making up rumours.

You don't get to find out until Canon decide they want you to.

Thinking that myself to be honest, I mean there nothing yet on the internet about the 450D so how can this one employee know in little Wigan & nobody else lol.

Personally thou im with you i can't see the 450D being all that much of an improvment over the 400D.

The 350D to 400D was a decent step up in terms of features I think, so the 450D will proberly be a slightly tweaked version & a few added features & a price tag of £500.

Spot the 40D owner who's feeling a little worried about features from his camera being on a budget model?

Canon have previously used a higher mega pixel sensor in teh xxxD range than the xxD range (30D is 8mp 400D is 10mp) and I'm sure they will have to include live view to keep up with the competition in the entry level sector and the same goes for the cheap IS kit lens.

PS Don't worry your 40D will still take levely pictures as will my 30D!

Yeah, if all the stuff you've dismissed as being in the 450D wasnt in, then there's no upgrade from the 400D virtually!

Why would there be an upgrade to the 400d? What have the competition added recently to attract market share?

Even IF there is a need to upgrade, I cant see the mp being raised to 12 either - there is no reason for Canon to hike the cost on an entry level dslr this high :shrug:

Well the A200 just come out that cheaper than the 400D "release price" better features plus other DSLR's rumored for PMA 2008 are Nikon D60, Sony A300, Pentax replacments for the K100D plus Samung, cheaper Sigma ect all these new DSLR will all have much better features than the 400D and all should be around the £500 mark & out by Spring.

So for Canon not to release something new like the 450D would be silly even if it only a slight update over the 400D

A headline high megapixel count is important for marketing reasons. The compact world still associates a higher mp count as better and these are the target market of the compact world.

Many compact owners also make use of their video function, and so would like to see this on their dslr, despite what the rest of the photography world would like to think.

Personally adding movie mode to a DSLR would put alot of photography people off buying one.

Can you imaging somebody who has a real passion for their hobby using a DSLR as it was intended to be used, only to see some upper middle class person/parent with same camera that has no idea how to use one other than Full Auto running about using it as a Video Camera lol

DSLR's should be left to people that have a real intrest in Photography
Movie mode should be kept to Point & Shoot camera's

But as with any company they in the market to make money & if it means more sales then they add it.

The entry level DSLR market is becoming more and more consumer orientated, DSLRs are no longer limited to hobbiests and enthusiasts. Canon need to keep up with the budget offerings from the likes of Sony and olympus and sadly the mega pixel thing still matters even to people who should know better hence the 40D owners bleating that the 450D won't be allowed a higher pixel count.

Personally adding movie mode to a DSLR would put alot of photography people off buying one.

Can you imaging somebody who has a real passion for their hobby using a DSLR as it was intended to be used, only to see some upper middle class person/parent with same camera that has no idea how to use one other than Full Auto running about using it as a Video Camera lol

But as with any company they in the market to make money & if it means more sales then they add it.

personally it would put you off, not a lot of people.

movie mode is a big selling point

Do you think people need some sort of certificate to prove they're a "photographer" before they can own a precious DSLR?

Wake up and look around

There's lots of people not into photography buying these DSLRs, they live in the real world, its a consumer item and its gives better pictures than the P&S consumer items for a small premium. They buy in Currys, they buy in Argos, they buy in Jessops. Its another fast moving box.

They run it on auto, they take snaps, they have families, they use it on holiday. Movie mode is a feature thats begging to be added. Movies with quality lenses, big wow, no second bag with camcorder needed, camcorders must already be dying due to the P&S movie mode.

In the 400D / 450D market Canon are not selling to "photographers", they're selling them to people who will buy them. Lots of them, more is better, and if they can throw in features that mean last year's buyers upgrade then that's what they will do. If they can have bigger spec numbers than the competitor they'll get the sale, if they tick the boxes on more features they'll get the sale. There's no prize for second when you're selling. Remember Canon does not exist for a photographic elite, its there to make money, and its a competitive market.

Be grateful, its pushing the development forwards for you

He's probably right tbh, 12mp and all.

Why ? As said this is going to be sold to general joe, 12mp 'oooh must be better', when 10mp on the 40D will infact produce better image quality, its already been said by canon that the 40D's sensor is a notch up from the 400D in terms of quality and sensitivity, so the 450D will prob just have a standard 12mp sensor, id imagine it wouldnt cost all that more to produce, im also sure that low light performance will be worse, think f31fd vs f50fd

The other features make sense, Digic 3 same as canons G9, 2.7" LCD, yup sure, live view I can beleive as well, why not ? average joe would go for it as its similar to his P&S, maybe it will have liveview, just not be able to focus in live view mode like the 40D does (yes I know 40D shuts down liveview, focus's and returns, but it does it automatically)

For many other reasons relating to which ever camera feature, it just makes sense doesnt it ?

:agree:

Now i call myself a photographer.. not as a full time job, but im definately under the umbrella.. ella.. ella.. and there have been times when iv thought to myself.. "I wish this had video!!"... when went to my mums for xmas, i took my camera and a few lens.. a big ass flash AND another big bad with my Video camera along with loads of prezzies for the rest of the Family.. its times like these that id have loved the option of video mode.. i cant see why not.. the reason you gave was a little purist at best.. no REAL bonafide reason not to.. if it were a Pro spec camera id say NO.. cos if theres room to fit stuff for video in it then theres not enough kit in it.. lol.. thats all.. over and out..

I simply can't believe that post, it's like me saying my mum shouldn't be allowed a PC or the internet as she's not really into it she just uses it as a tool.

I wish my 5D had movie mod. and I would not give a toss what people thought, it would be so useful for me, I am looking at getting one for when I go on my buying trips to japan so customers can see video's of the koi as well as pic's on the web, the big down side is something else to carry in my hand luggage, along with the camera, flash ,lens , accessories and laptop :wacky:

Canon rep told him he was under NDA whatever that means...

Non Disclosure Agreement, which in the world of business is a legally binding agreement between a reseller and an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to keep schtum. So it might be a good idea to keep the identity of the camera salesman to yourself.

Each to their own i guess i personally don't want to see movie mode in a DSLR proberly because i just not long since bought a Vid Camera & hate to see my DSLR with L glass producing better quality vids heaven forbid lol.

Anyways we know by this time next week what the 450D going to have & not have & if it does come with movie mode then we can expect it in the 50D & proberly every other DSLR released next year onwards.

A video camera function would require a whole new design surely! They have only just managed to cram live view in and that really isnt like video. There would need to be a whole new sensor and processing system, surely!

Can't see them adding the function to a DSLR anytime soon.

Spot the 40D owner who's feeling a little worried about features from his camera being on a budget model?

Canon have previously used a higher mega pixel sensor in teh xxxD range than the xxD range (30D is 8mp 400D is 10mp) and I'm sure they will have to include live view to keep up with the competition in the entry level sector and the same goes for the cheap IS kit lens.

PS Don't worry your 40D will still take levely pictures as will my 30D!

Hahahaha.

I'm not worried, i'm just telling it how it is.

Yeah I know they put a higher MP sensor in the 400D when the 30D was out, but there's no need to put a even more expensive sensor in the 400D. Why would they bother? It would just make it more expensive.

I know that whatever they do to the 400D the 40D will still be better, that's odvious.

It's just all these things like scroll wheels, buld upgrades, bigger sensors and such just won't be put in an amatur grade model.

If they did, then why would ANYONE bother spending more than £450 - £500 on a DSLR?

Wookie - I do agree with you there on the movie mode. Alot of people who bought the 450D would use it, it's a camera built for people who want a step-up from P&S compacts.

I personally think it's useless, and would never use it but for this specific range of cameras it's a good idea.

Won't happen tho ;)

It will be the same size and about the same weight as the 400D, look the same, have the same buttons. Just a few cosmetic changes, they might move a few buttons about.

I'm still standing firm on the fact that they won't put liveview in it, I just can't see it happening. As I said before, I don't think the 400D actually needs an upgrade, they are just doing it becuase of the life cycle is over.

if they were seriously concerned about making affordable quality cameras for stills photography enthusiasts then the existing 400d would already have spot metering.
Canon are masters of manipulating their model range features to extract maximum dosh from the marketplace.
Live view and movie modes on the bottom rung DSLR would be the icing on the cake for those wanting something better than a P&S but with P&S functionality. I think Canon are currently losing to Nikon in the Japanese market, so honour is at stake. They'll add movie mode and corner the market or marketing directors will be told to go get their swords.
Not much point betting on the main kit offering including the IS lens. The real surprise would be an integral IS sensor, but I think they've been caught out on that and they'll have to introduce it on the next revision.

we know its not necessarily megapixel count that matters, stuff like low noise high iso capability is a big differentiator but not necessarily a selling feature to the mass market numbers game. If they are sticking a big sensor in it then its probably a well planned business move, if they have commonality with a better model then it bring overall production costs down by upping the volume, also allows B-grade sensors to get used in the lower model, and the lower model will as usual be stripped of some of the functionality. If its a new sensor then its a fair bet they could be using it to do a design or manufacturing technology upgrade, not necessarily for quality, semiconductor device density is related to price, more dense works out cheaper when you've got the process right, for that you need volume, hence develop on the mass market models. Risk is reduced too, reputation is built on the pro models, not the ones that sell by the pallet.

Samsung and Pentax are rolling out a 14 mepapixel cam and Canon needs to compete and convince lay men that 12 good megapixels is better than 14. If they stick with 10, it is going to hurt them bad. The Pentax cam is looking real sweet especially with the sensor based stabilization.

PMA 2008 announcements should start rolling out in a couple of days. Watch out for the sparks...

Sensor based stabilisation,:eek:, never heard of that, I wonder if that will get them a few strides ahead of the competition.............if it works:D

look forward to see the 450d, when is its spec released

Yeah I was wrong lol.

Was right about a few things tho, like the ISO and AF.

To be honest the 10MP - 12MP isn't a big difference anyway, 2MP isnt gonna improve the quality that much, they just did it to draw in all those P&S users who only ever look at how many mega-pixels a camera has before buying it.

The best improvement to this line of cameras is probably the Digic III processor.

Hehe - was only joshing as you seemed so certain. TBH I'd have put money on 10MP myself.

The two biggest shockers for me are the 12MP and spot metering tbh. I'd have thought Canon would have reserved the latter for the 30/40 prosumer range rather than dropping it down to the entry level so soon. The 450D seems to have an awful lot of the features of the 40D and I've seen a few slightly disgruntled 40D owners as a result.

Canon obviously feel that the size and build quality of the 40D are its main selling points and most people who buy it are after these, rather than individual features.

Question now is, is it worth me upgrading my 400D to the 450D or just waiting a while and going straight for a 40D when the prices drop a bit?

Hehe - was only joshing as you seemed so certain. TBH I'd have put money on 10MP myself.

The two biggest shockers for me are the 12MP and spot metering tbh. I'd have thought Canon would have reserved the latter for the 30/40 prosumer range rather than dropping it down to the entry level so soon. The 450D seems to have an awful lot of the features of the 40D and I've seen a few slightly disgruntled 40D owners as a result.

Canon obviously feel that the size and build quality of the 40D are its main selling points and most people who buy it are after these, rather than individual features.

Question now is, is it worth me upgrading my 400D to the 450D or just waiting a while and going straight for a 40D when the prices drop a bit?

I'm in the same boat... my thinking is to wait for a cheap 40D. I guess that's canon's plan, too!

DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT READ THE WHOLE THREAD!:LOL:(y)

So what if the (now known) specs of the 450D are better than some of the 40D?:shrug:

Let us drop one of each from the same height onto a concrete floor and let's see which one works better afterwards:LOL:

I think one of the main areas where the 40D will really shine if the AF - the 450D doesn't appear to have any real improvement in that area...

I think one of the main areas where the 40D will really shine if the AF - the 450D doesn't appear to have any real improvement in that area...

Sure? I read that was one of the improved areas?

The reasons it's better to buy a 40D are:

1) Despite the sensor being 2MP smaller in MP, it's actually a better sensor. I had a 400D and the sensor in the 40D is noticably better. More sensitive and lower noise at high ISOs. Has larger microsensors so it's better quality even if the MP count says differently.

2) The AF is much better. All 9 points are cross-type, only the center one is on the 450D. They haven't really improved the AF much for the 450D.

3) Build quality. MUCH better on the 40D than it will be on the 450D. It's bigger, more comfortable, stronger and just looks nicer and more professional. THe 400D and 450D just scream amatur to me.

4) Scroll wheel. It's not a huge feature, but the scroll wheel is brilliant, a million times better than the directional buttons on the 400 and 450Ds.

5) Top LCD. MUCH prefer the top LCD for settings compared to having it on the rear 3" one. You can do both on the 40D, but I prefer the top so much more.

6) C-Modes. Probably one of the greatest features of any DSLR i'v ever used. Absoulte genius. I LOVE C-Modes on the dial wheel, just the way you can customise every aspect of the camera for each mode and just click to it when you need. I need to change my settings VERY quickly for the work I do (nightlife photography) so it's one of the best features of the 40D for me. Plus I love the fact that you can stop the flash from firing but still use the AF assist beam on it, and what's even better is you can set that into the C-modes. Ace!

Having said all that (phew!) there's one button on the 400D, 450D and the 40D which is completely useless. It's the direct print button. What a waste of time, never used it and probably never will.

Can see why its usefull on a 400 and 450D becuase im sure alot of amature DSLR users use it alot, but for alot of people its a completely usesless feature and button.

Does the 40D show the ISO speed in the viewfinder? That's one brilliant addition I noticed on the 450D - lost count of how many times I've taken a load of daylight pics only to find the ISO is still stuck on 800/1600 from the last time I used it - grrrrr!

There's little doubting the 40D is better, the question is whether the benefits outweight the additional cost. Of course we don't yet know what price the 450D will street at and, by the time it does, what price a 40D will be available for. If the 40D is only £100-£200 more than the 450D then the former makes a lot of sense. If, however the 40D is getting on for £300 more then it becomes a lot less clear cut as that's a sizeable chunk towards additional or improved glass, which could make more difference to your photography than the improved body.

Yes it does, you get the ISO, f/2.8 (or whatever) and speed

The reasons it's better to buy a 40D are:

1) Despite the sensor being 2MP smaller in MP, it's actually a better sensor. I had a 400D and the sensor in the 40D is noticably better. More sensitive and lower noise at high ISOs. Has larger microsensors so it's better quality even if the MP count says differently.

2) The AF is much better. All 9 points are cross-type, only the center one is on the 450D. They haven't really improved the AF much for the 450D.

3) Build quality. MUCH better on the 40D than it will be on the 450D. It's bigger, more comfortable, stronger and just looks nicer and more professional. THe 400D and 450D just scream amatur to me.

4) Scroll wheel. It's not a huge feature, but the scroll wheel is brilliant, a million times better than the directional buttons on the 400 and 450Ds.

5) Top LCD. MUCH prefer the top LCD for settings compared to having it on the rear 3" one. You can do both on the 40D, but I prefer the top so much more.

6) C-Modes. Probably one of the greatest features of any DSLR i'v ever used. Absoulte genius. I LOVE C-Modes on the dial wheel, just the way you can customise every aspect of the camera for each mode and just click to it when you need. I need to change my settings VERY quickly for the work I do (nightlife photography) so it's one of the best features of the 40D for me. Plus I love the fact that you can stop the flash from firing but still use the AF assist beam on it, and what's even better is you can set that into the C-modes. Ace!

Having said all that (phew!) there's one button on the 400D, 450D and the 40D which is completely useless. It's the direct print button. What a waste of time, never used it and probably never will.

Can see why its usefull on a 400 and 450D becuase im sure alot of amature DSLR users use it alot, but for alot of people its a completely usesless feature and button.

Spot on, was thinking that myself, -hopefully- canon will allow the print button to be a custom button in a future firmware update, dont see why it cannot be done, unless the print button is 'hard wired'

Well yeah, they could just make it a customisable button, that would be quality.

The 450D seems to have an awful lot of the features of the 40D and I've seen a few slightly disgruntled 40D owners as a result.

I must admit I find this sort of attitude hard to understand :shrug: When the new 450D hits the streets will the 40D suddenly become less of a camera than it is now? Will it's images become less sharp or it's focus become slower?

Or is it perhaps just a little badge snobbery on the part of some 40D owners who are just a bit miffed that the new "entry level" offering from Canon has stolen a little of their thunder?

Back