4g dongle deal time

gary post 14 for the 3 months sim ..15 quid
Ah, but youre happy with 3, happy with the service and happy with the equipment, why change to another service provider whose coverage/equipment might be worse or much worse., grass isnt always greener mate and as a full time pro you know you need 100% reliability and if 3 has provided that then thats worth a small premiun surely

As for the mi-fi someone else mentioned, i cant see it as there are some posts missing as that member must be on my blocked list

I might not bother with 4g then.. dont suppose mits needed..

plan 27
phone wiht 3g as hotspot using THREE sim
but need to know if anyone else does this

plan 28
buy 4g mifi
buy 3 mths credit 15 quid a time..
Tony, the mi-fi Dave1 linked to IS NOT A 4G unit DO NOT BUY IT

No wonder hes on my blocked list, Geeshhh

Last edited:
well i really do like the phone idea.......

just bought a 1 mth sim to try it on my phone.. connect and says 72mbs whereas sky says 54.. yet the phone seems slower..... but a better experience than mifi

so

gary! theres a moto g 4g out.. take it that wasnt out when we got our phones.. I might upgrade the phone then go 43g with three ... like that idea:)

well i really do like the phone idea.......

just bought a 1 mth sim to try it on my phone.. connect and says 72mbs whereas sky says 54.. yet the phone seems slower..... but a better experience than mifi

so

gary! theres a moto g 4g out.. take it that wasnt out when we got our phones.. I might upgrade the phone then go 43g with three ... like that idea:)
That new Moto G 4G came out after we got ours, it might be a dual sim card phone as well so if you bought that phone sometime in the future you can use 2 different sims, if youre in an area one doesnt cover or has a weak signal then just select the other and hey presto.

double check that though first mate as not seen much about it

Last edited:
I think the phone idea is better than the dongle idea personal, I have used a iPhone 4s as my hotspot for the past couple of seasons and works faultless for me, just upgraded to the 5 so I can take advantage of the 4G/LTE now which will be a added bonus, I think also if you look into it your find better deals with the phones...

I've been having a nightmare with my Vodafone 3G dongle . Pretty much useless during matches sending on at 3kbs. Went today to get a 4g mifi thingy . Hope I can get pics out now. My iPhone coverage wasn't much better and killed phone battery.

Last edited:
right am gonna deffo upgrade the phone.. havent had mine long and in pristine condition.. wont get much but will get summat back to offeset the price.. gonna look for deals now..

plan346
upgrade to motorolo g 4g phone and hotspot it :)

thanks joe thats what I wanted.. someone whos using it to say works ok :)

Cant find anything less than £140 on ebay.. most places are 149... tempted with tesco.. easier warranty they dont quibble when you take stuff back :)

cant wait for better deals to appear... tesco might be it.. shame they dont take paypal

Cant find anything less than £140 on ebay.. most places are 149... tempted with tesco.. easier warranty they dont quibble when you take stuff back :)

cant wait for better deals to appear... tesco might be it.. shame they dont take paypal
They do the phone on boost, you double the value of your clubcard points, £75 in clubcard points buys you the phone but i bet you dont shop at Tesco!!!!!!!

if youre thinking of staying with 3 for your sim card then double check with them as im pretty sure they only allow a 2GB tethering allowance for an extra £5 a month on top of the actual sim charge

asda shoppers here...

eh tethering allowance? what? serious?

yeagh loking.. but it also says this

Our Pay As You Go plans don't allow you to use Personal Hotspot. See our Pay As You Go terms and conditions for more information.

yet its working now.. i ahve a 15 quid 1 month sim to test.. thats PAYG and the laptops watching skygo for the past hr or two and no problem through the phone..

all gets more wierd all the time

Our Pay As You Go plans don't allow you to use Personal Hotspot. See our Pay As You Go terms and conditions for more information.

yet its working now.. i ahve a 15 quid 1 month sim to test.. thats PAYG and the laptops watching skygo for the past hr or two and no problem through the phone..

Its not connecting via your home wi-fi is it

I can switch my 15GB a month sim card from my dongle or mi-fi to my phone and make phone calls, youre not supposed to be able to do it but i can, the sim for my phone which ive had since i bought my phone and has an unlimited data plan can also be used in my dongle or mi-fi, again, not allowed or supposed to be able to do it but i can.

Those terms are the old ones where you needed to buy an add on for £5 a month which i originally referred to, the blog link is the latest but seems to only apply to unlimited data sim only plans, i wonder if the £5 a month add on might still apply to lesser data sim only plans.

its 15 quid all you can eat data card i got to try out for a month..so that wil have 4g limit which i would never reach anyways... am doing bolton v wigan tomorrow night so will see how it fairs.. take mifi just in case...

They don't allow hotspot on PAYG unfortunately, it might work a day, a week, or only a few hours and Three will then block the data connection on the sim, Tony.

There is no add-on to add, tethering (hotspot) on PAYG is just not allowed, even if you wanted to pay for it. You would have to go for a sim only 30 day contract if you want to use the hotspot feature.

The 30 day plan sim only plans allow you to tether up to 4GB per month (or your monthly allowance if it is less than 4GB).

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Last edited:
They don't allow hotspot on PAYG unfortunately, it might work a day, a week, or only a few hours and Three will then block the data connection on the sim Tony.

yes they do :) mines workign perfect..as said they are old terms listed... the allow it on eat all you can PAYG but only 4gig

yes they do :) mines workign perfect..as said they are old terms listed... the allow it on eat all you can PAYG but only 4gig

Mobile phones are part of my day job mate, I can promise you that tethering (or hotspot) is definitely not allowed on any PAYG plan or add-on (like the £15 AYCE you've bought).

The tethering allowances apply to contract with handset (2GB) and 30 day/12 month contract sim only (4GB).

They will block the data connection when the system picks up you are tethering.

From the current Three PAYG page:

Tethering isn't included on Pay As You Go and TrafficSense™ applies to all our tariffs. Find out how we use TrafficSense™ to protect your experience.

It's almost impossibly to directly link to a page on the Three website, but here's a screenshot:
image.jpg

Last edited:
This is how I do it

Got an EE MiFi £45.98 inc P&P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALCATEL-O..._Mobile_Broadband_Devices&hash=item1c47b299fc

Then as has been mentioned just buy the 6Gb/90 day SIMs from eBay - £14.99 (runs out after 90 days or 6Gb whichever comes first)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EE-4G-Net..._Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item5408a20778

Then pay 99p and get it unlocked so you can pop another SIM in if needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlock-Al...990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2334804196

When you pop a new SIM in and connect to the interwebz you need to register it with EE i.e. each time you put a new sim in - at this point you get a link you keep so you can check how much data you have used and how long you have used it.You need that link which I forgot and have no idea when it will run out - i.e. it could run out in the middle of a match.

Then you are all set to go. I leave mine nice and protected in my Peli case with the lid shut and it works really well.

It uses a standard micro usb cable to charge, so remember to keep it charged. If you forget it can be plugged in toyour laptop via for juice.

Easy peasy lemon squeasy.

For all the connecting your phone nonsense. This is the way to do it.

Mobile phones are part of my day job mate, I can promise you that tethering (or hotspot) is definitely not allowed on any PAYG plan o

before answerting I ahve double trippl checked.. I am connected to my phone on hotspot.. the laptops on the internet and the connection is the phone and its the three 15 quid sim....

so?

Yes on a 4G MiFi. My pics fly through on EE.

my mobile phone has the 3g sim in.. PAYG 30 days 15 quid

wifi is turned OFF
mobile data turned on
setup a hotspot called it kipax

laptop is on the internet logged into kipax

my phone data records tethering and mobile as 745MB used..

my phone says tethering or hotspot active...

so how am I not using tethering on a PAYG sim?

Last edited:
Forget the phone. A phone is for phone calls and a MiFi is for data i.e. pics.

Just think a fiver per month for all the data you could possibly use and the MiFi sitting nice and safe in your Peli case.

Forget the phone. A phone is for phone calls and a MiFi is for data i.e. pics.

Just think a fiver per month for all the data you could possibly use and the MiFi sitting nice and safe in your Peli case.

one phone 15 a month.. unlimited internet
or
one phone plus a mifi for 15 quid a month (10 phone 15 data) and limited internet

its a no brainer..... phone wins easy :)

Ok I can see the logic.

I hope it works for you. Please let us know how well it goes.

before answerting I ahve double trippl checked.. I am connected to my phone on hotspot.. the laptops on the internet and the connection is the phone and its the three 15 quid sim....

so?

As I said, it will work until the system picks up the tethering (they have some very good software that looks for tethering), it might be an hour, a day, a week, but it will eventually block on you.

It is expressly forbidden by Three for all PAYG users, it used to be forbidden for most 30 day contracts as well (other the the 'one plan'), it's only recently been changed for them to 4GB max. I presume that's where you got the impression of having a 4GB allowance from.

Hopefully it doesn't block when you really need it, so be prepared for it to happen, for eg, if you are using it for work, have anothrt option as once it triggers on the system it will stop working.

Last edited:
Haha buy I didn't say I think it would work well.

I have not tried it that way but I have thought about it. It may work very well and I hope it does.

I tend to think of it like like a sat nav. My sat nav is great as it designed to do one thing really well.

My phone works well as a phone and can do other things well such as work as a a sat nav.

However when I went to Notts Forest the other month and it wanted to take me down a street that is being converted to trams and was blocked off I could choose to reroute. So I ended up stopping and asking for directions three times.

So I have to reserve judgment on the phone tethering.

It may work well and if it does I can then get rid of my own MiFi and the backup dingle I have.

Dingle dongle you know what I mean....

Did not know about them blocking PAYG customers from using personal hotspot. That is really annoying. Why??? That could be the spanner in the works.

It's never been officially allowed, it's only quite recent that they have installed the software onto the system to detect it.

I bought the PAYG to test and suss the job out... 15 quid to elarn whats what along wiht the help in here..

I have now upgraded my phone and the new motorola g 4g will be with me sat morning...
I am going into the three shop tomorrow wiht existing 3g motorolo g and getting a 12 mth sim unlimited internet.. 15 quid a month.. 4gb can be used as tethered... (hopefully keep same number)

So instead of TWO bits of plastic.. phone and mifi to make sure charged and take places... and TWO lots of bills for phone and then mifi data.. Its now one phone and 15 quid which isnt far off what i would be paying for TWO bits... good deal really..

now to sell my phone :)

a couple of hrs ago i ahd absoloutly no idea whats what.. just got the mifi got a sim and away i went... even the phones pretty new last few months from a nokia with snake and texts.. ...however this thread has enlightened me... learnt a lot today about phones and connectivity.... so THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD its all helped :)

Wey hey

Tony, i might have a potential buyer for your old Moto G depending on price.

Deffo selling.. its in perfect condition... used one of those flip cases (not included) so screen as far as i can tell is perfect.. got the usb lead and the hands free earphones thing (never used) its black and the 16gb one..

NO BOX .. I have a generic box to put it in but looked everywhere and cant find the original box.. got the ikle manual

no idea what its worth.. seen some on ebay... worth less wiht no box.. make me an honest offer mate :)

This is how I do it

Got an EE MiFi £45.98 inc P&P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALCATEL-O..._Mobile_Broadband_Devices&hash=item1c47b299fc

Then as has been mentioned just buy the 6Gb/90 day SIMs from eBay - £14.99 (runs out after 90 days or 6Gb whichever comes first)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EE-4G-Net..._Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item5408a20778

Then pay 99p and get it unlocked so you can pop another SIM in if needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlock-Al...990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2334804196

When you pop a new SIM in and connect to the interwebz you need to register it with EE i.e. each time you put a new sim in - at this point you get a link you keep so you can check how much data you have used and how long you have used it.You need that link which I forgot and have no idea when it will run out - i.e. it could run out in the middle of a match.

Then you are all set to go. I leave mine nice and protected in my Peli case with the lid shut and it works really well.

It uses a standard micro usb cable to charge, so remember to keep it charged. If you forget it can be plugged in toyour laptop via for juice.

Easy peasy lemon squeasy.

For all the connecting your phone nonsense. This is the way to do it.

I do this as well and it works fine. I sometimes use the one day top up option as well once the 90 days are up depending on when it expries (say 2 games before end of season as £6 for two days (two games) is cheaper than another sim for the summer which won't get used.

Rob, when connected to you dongle this is the link I use to check my days left http://add-on.ee.co.uk/status

Back