4K for Photoshop?

Name
Dave D
Edit My Images
No
Time to upgrade my monitor.
I've happily plodding away on an Acer 24" but i like the idea of a larger screen, and then the Acer as a second screen. but i've heard different opinions on whether to opt for a 4k screen this time. I'm only doing photo editing, not video, and some 'experts' recommend 4k for video but not for stills.
I'm struggling with logic. Its probably all i need to decide. A 28" screen will show more of my image, and so i'll have to zoom less than i do now. A 4k screen has about double the amount of pixels per dimension so does that mean that i have to zoom as i do now to get a similar result? Or am i missing another point to help me choose my next screen?

I'm not going (unfortunately) for a real top end monitor, but i'm spending a lot of time in front of the screen, so any suggestions would be welcome.

A higher resolution screen of the same dimensions will appear sharper, but that's about it. Most software now scales to match screen size, rather than resolution, and your images will appear the same size when fitted to the screen unless they have a lower resolution than the size of the space available.

FWIW my laptop has a QHD screen at 3200 X 1800, and images can appear deceptively sharp on that compared to a conventional resolution screen unless they are viewed at 2:1 i.e. enlarged.

I thought this would be a good place to state my dilemma rather than start a new thread

I have the Dell XPS13 with Hi Res display but when I open photoshop, its tiny and almost unusable and has put me off using it for a little while. I have searched on Google and youtube and theres lots of stuff out there which talks of a manifest attachment and it fixes the sizing but completely changes the resolution and appears blurry, which it does.

I had a little play with the properties of CS6 and managed to get the display to look right until I opened a photo within and it went out the screen on the top left

I am not sure if this would be the same for a 4K monitor but has anyone got a fix? or instead of hijacking this, start my own thread?

I saw the subject and thought.....that's expensive ..... #JustSayin :)

I think on it this way.

A 4k screen is 3840 * 2160 of which (guessing) photoshop uses about half for photo display so needs 4.1MP.

Your camera provides 21.1MP so a 4.1k screen will only be showing every 5th or so pixal.

Probably slightly sharper than existing but possibly not a lot.

Worth a test with your mk 1 eyeballs?.

Back