4TB External drive - any recommendations ?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to buy 2 x 4TB Ext HDD's and would appreciate a steer for something thats going to last more than 5 minutes......

TIA

Cheers @redhed17 , not planning on them leaving the house tbh, so bullet proof is prob a tad overkill......Have heard good things about those Lacie's though..

I bought this 4TB Lacie Rugged Mini a couple of weeks ago. It hasn't been out in the real world yet, but it is designed to be rugged as the name suggests. ;)

I'm also planning on getting this case for it too.
Wouldnt put stock in the ruggedness. It's literally a few small blocks of foam supporting the drive and a thin rubber skin. Any substantial impact is still going to damage the drive.

Never had much luck with lacie and reliability.

OP - you're always going to get horror stories regarding all brands. Assuming your 2x drives are a backup rotation? So you'll always have at least 2 copies of your data? If so it doesn't really matter, just use the best warranty options.

Wouldnt put stock in the ruggedness. It's literally a few small blocks of foam supporting the drive and a thin rubber skin. Any substantial impact is still going to damage the drive.

I have no plans to be bouncing it around, but should it get dropped, that bit of rubber could help. ;) For portability and true ruggedness, an SSD drive would be preferable, but high capacity SSDs are very expensive. :eek: :rolleyes: The OP sounds like he needs a less portable HDD. ;)

I would try and get two different brands of drives just in case one has a design flaw.

I'd look at investing in a 2 drive NAS, then use suitable HDD's in RAID configuration. I have a Synology NAS, with two WD Reds installed. Works great

Back