50 mm or 18 55 mm kit lens?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I will be going on holl soon with my girlfriend and 20 month old daughter so looking forward to taking plenty of pics.
What would be the better lens to use for daytime shots? Ie beech,pool.
Only starting out so I only have the Canon 50 mm 1.8 and kit lens.
Would apreciate some advice please

Assuming you're going to warm climates (as in with decent light), and I hope you are if you plan on beach trips :), then the kit lens will suit you better. The 50mm will allow for dodgier light and give you probably better photos from an artistic point of view. I guess you have to make the decision: are you going to take holiday snaps to remember the place (kit lens) or take great portraits in a setting that you wont be in again for a while (50mm)?

The kit lens would likely be better for daytime shots unless you want a very shallow depth of field, I'd bring both personally considering how light they are.

I just have these two lenses too. The 18-55 would be much more practical imo. Only just got my 50mm so I've been out with just that a lot of times have found I've missed the short end of the 18-55 a few times . As folk have already said, they're small and light. Take them both

Last edited:
Plus one for taking both. You can use the 18-55 during the day, then switch to the 50mm in the evening, in the darker light, restaurants etc. they're both light enough not to add much to your weight allowance or take up much space in hand luggage.

Since you are just starting I would recommend either both or only Kit lens. Are you alright using the fixed focal length? If you are not sure, then leave it at home. Nothing is more annoying than having blurry shots because you don't know how to use the lens yet.
That doesn't mean you are a bad photographer! I assume you have some 4 or 3 or 2 digit canon gear, so use the flash at night to get your shot. Enjoy your holiday with your young family and don't let them wait until you get your shot right. Practice at home.

if you're keen you can get a little diffuser that mounts on the top of your canon on-board flash which would be great for your night-time holiday snaps of your little bundle of joy (and assorted bodily functions)

Thanks for the advice people,I have had the camera for just over a year Canon 550d.
Not had as much time to practise as would like to with having baby but starting to learn a bit more about using the 50mm now,got a few pics I have took with it on Flickr if you fancy a look,would apreciate the tips,Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83663964@N05/

Last edited:
A nice little selection you got there. According to your photos you actually know more or less how to use this lens, therefore take both with you.

Back