50 pence worth of high end camera gear - some results...

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Back in September, I bought a Sunpet focus free camera for 50p. A couple of months ago I stuck a roll of Poundland Agfa in it, then chucked the camera in my coat pocket. Since then I've taken photos as and when I saw something interesting (and remembered the camera was in my pocket!).

The camera is lacking a little in the edge-to-edge sharpness department :), and also managed to completely fail to expose several shots form the end of the roll before then producing a single double-exposure of some horses from the final two frames (I knew something was amiss when the frame counter said 30 on the 24 exposure roll and the camera was still trying to take shots!).

Anyway, here are the best of the results. Some of them aren't too bad all things considered.

1 - This is the camera in all its glory:

260/366 2016 - 50 pence-worth of high end gear
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Experiments with a cheap plastic camera

FILM - Experiments with a cheap plastic camera-2

FILM - Experiments with a cheap plastic camera-3

FILM - Experiments with a cheap plastic camera-4

FILM - Experiments with a cheap plastic camera-8

FILM - Experiments with a cheap plastic camera-6

FILM - Experiments with a cheap plastic camera-9

Last edited:
Last edited:
They haven't come out to badly at all. However you do have some massive distortion going on in image 3 of the church..... :D

They haven't come out to badly at all. However you do have some massive distortion going on in image 3 of the church..... :D

Yeah, it's the same on most of them. I've cropped a few (#s 2,7 & 8, although not because of the distortion), but you can see it on all of them to some extent otherwise.

It was a fun little experiment, but I don't think I'll be using it again. I've got a few other, slightly higher-specced compacts here that I might give a go though.

Yeah, it's the same on most of them. I've cropped a few (#s 2,7 & 8, although not because of the distortion), but you can see it on all of them to some extent otherwise.

It was a fun little experiment, but I don't think I'll be using it again. I've got a few other, slightly higher-specced compacts here that I might give a go though.

I think the distortion comment was tongue-in-cheek and with reference to the twisted spire, which if I recall has nothing to do with the camera....

Damn. I was going to make a similar remark about the spire actually being straight. Humph. Don't get that camera confused with a popular nut based spread and try and put it on toast....ho ho ho :)

It's about as good/bad as the generic single use cameras. Bright and sunny conditions tend to turn out ok. Anything else is a crap shoot.

Doesn't look to be much distortion in all seriousnessness..:D
It just goes a bit squiffy at the edges, but generally, for 50p they're ok.

Damn. I was going to make a similar remark about the spire actually being straight. Humph. Don't get that camera confused with a popular nut based spread and try and put it on toast....ho ho ho :)

It's about as good/bad as the generic single use cameras. Bright and sunny conditions tend to turn out ok. Anything else is a crap shoot.

Yeah, that sounds about right. All the shots in darker conditions are terrible - even the shot with the bench has a lot of grain - some of them were totally unuseable. I'll try not to eat the camera by mistake though. :D

Looking at the double exposure shot again, it seems like there's actually at least a triple exposure there!

I've seen worse from a mate with his 5D mkIII ;)

Aside from the quality of photos, I like your eye for a shot :)

Dave

Snip:

What do you expect, it is a Sunpet after all! :D ;)

Joking aside, I like the photo of the bench, good composure and very atmospheric. (y)

Thanks both. That's kind of you to say. :)

As others have said for a 50p camera they have turned out rather well, you also have a good eye for an image.

Nige, An eye for a shot and bargain as well.(y)

These have come out very well. I always think if there's a quality issue, to go with it, and situations like no 7 are perfect! I think there might be a double exposure in 11 as well; you've got the Eiffel Tower under that bridge...

These have come out very well. I always think if there's a quality issue, to go with it, and situations like no 7 are perfect! I think there might be a double exposure in 11 as well; you've got the Eiffel Tower under that bridge...

Thanks Chris.

I always think it's best to go for the unusual composition when photographing heavily visited landmarks like the Eiffel Tower. It's not come out too bad to say that it's hundreds of miles away in the opposite direction. :D

I love these! The bench and flowers stand out to me - nice atmosphere. The twisted spire has always given me the willies - I remember having to look away from it when we drove past, once. Very odd.

I really like these images, love the colours and the composition is lovely. Really nice and easy to look at. My favourites are the red brick house (5)and the one shot just underneath the bridge/flyover (10).

Also not going to break the bank for the gear at only £1.50 :) , that's just crazy!!

Cheers Craig.

Last edited:
Back