50D + 4 lens v's 5D mkii and 1 lens? help?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Guys

I am looking for some advice ......

I am currently using a Cannon 400D and getting some pretty cool images. The time has come for me to 'upgrade' within the Cannon range and here is where the problem lies .....

Do I go for:

Cannon 50D with a selection of up to 4 new lens (around £400-£500 each)

or

Cannon 5D mkii but only 1 new lens

Is the difference in features and quality on the bodies only enough to warrant the £1300 price difference between these 2 cameras or would my money be better spent on a selection of lenses?

Anyone??? Help???:shrug::thinking::wave:

Steve

Hi

Have you thought about whether you want to go full frame or stay on a crop sensor as this might make your decision for you :shrug:

What are you wanting out of the "upgrade" and what lenses were you thinking of with the 50D as I have read you do need to have very good lenses to get the best out of it :shrug:

Cheers (y)

I think if your asking questions like this about 2 totally different cameras, you need to go away and have a play with each camera and weigh up the pro's and con's for each and decide where you need to be.

The 5D mk2 is a great camera for sure, Have a play and see what you think but you should always invest your money in the best glass you can afford and if that means getting a cheaper body then so be it. The 5D mk2 is nice though :naughty:

Looking at your gallery on TP and the style of photo you take, then perhaps you should be moving towards a full frame camera. Ok, another iron in the fire so to speak, how about the 5D MkI, about 1/3 of the price of the MkII, still a great camera and you had get some very good 2nd copies out there, don't be phased by 2nd hand, my 1D MkIIn is reconditioned and I love it to bits. The 5D will be a marked improvement on your 400D, plus you still get some lovely lolly to spend on lenses.

Peter

I'd not get a 50D under any circumstances. the noise it has at iso 100 is shocking.

I sold my 40D 10-22, 17-55, 30mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 135 f2 to get a 5D2 & 24-70 f2.8 don't miss the 40D at all

I am also considering my first DSLR...5000d or 50d...?

Is noise that bad...I cant afford a 5D I'm afraid so options...?

I'd not get a 50D under any circumstances. the noise it has at iso 100 is shocking.

what on earth are you talking about?

to the OP, firstly what do you need your camera for - i.e. what do you mostly or want to mostly take pics of? that will determine whether you go crop or FF, also imho always always always plunge cash into the "system" (glass) than bodies as bodies will come and go more than your lenses which you will keep year in year out, and it's the glass at the end of the day which will get the best out of the camera :)

drew

Show me
This is at 400 ISO
3834611955_35a87100f3_o.jpg

5D for me. Glass is less expensive than Body of 5D, and you may find yourself wanting for a Full Frame. 5D and 24 70 or 24 105 and you will be set for a while. Add a 70 200 F4 in future for about 400ish second hand and you have one hell of an outfit that will last you well into the future.

That said, it could be worth waiting to see what happens on Sep 1st when Canon announcements are made. 7D could be the answer to what you need, then again could al be rubbish.

Have a look on http://www.dxomark.com, although they rate cameras the 50D, 40D and 500D with similar scores, there is an explanation on how the a higher pixel density camera will actually produce images of less noise when they are compressed down by the printer to the required size for printing.

POAH I'd be suprised if any camera didn't suffer from considerable noise at the size you are viewing that picture. I had to reduce my browser to 20% to fit the image in!!!

POAH I'd be suprised if any camera didn't suffer from considerable noise at the size you are viewing that picture. I had to reduce my browser to 20% to fit the image in!!!

its full size image, my 40D never looked like that at iso 100

Are you seriously judging the camera on a single photo? There are a couple of default settings on the 50D that need to be turned off on the 50D to make it perform as it should at higher ISOs... I'd guess that the shot was under exposed badly and then pushed in PP. I've read a lot of bad stuff about the 50D and recently got my hands on one to test, it's a lot better at high ISOs than many suggest.

To the OP - personally I'd spend my money on lenses before cameras. The 50D is a very capable camera and will be a step up from your 400D. I'd love to have a 5D mkII, it looks to be a stunning camera, but get good glass first.

Your 40D has 3888 x 2592 10.1 million 3.1 MP/cm² which was being displayd at 72DPI on your screen where as you are now looking at a 50D 4752 x 3168 15.1 million 4.5 MP/cm²
Your going to see a differance at that magnifaction.
I am sorry to say your thought are mis leading.
Also look at the layout of the pixels
mlenses.jpg

15.1 megapixel CMOS sensor
The EOS 50D is Canon's highest pixel count APS-C sensor to date. The manufacturer is claiming that new manufacturing processes, plus redesigned photo diodes and micro lenses, extend the light gathering capabilities of the sensor. They obviously feel confident as they've expanded the ISO sensitivity range to 12,800 (100-3200 standard range).

not a single photo, no. 40D still better IQ, lower noise and does not show up lens flaws like the 50D will.

that shot would have luminance noise if it had been pushed, its just full of chroma noise

I'm seeing noise because the 50D's sensor is over packed, gapless micro lenses or not. the fact remains the 50D has more noise than the 40D

Your 40D has 3888 x 2592 10.1 million 3.1 MP/cm² which was being displayd at 72DPI on your screen where as you are now looking at a 50D 4752 x 3168 15.1 million 4.5 MP/cm²
Your going to see a differance at that magnifaction.
I am sorry to say your thought are mis leading.
Also look at the layout of the pixels
mlenses.jpg

15.1 megapixel CMOS sensor
The EOS 50D is Canon's highest pixel count APS-C sensor to date. The manufacturer is claiming that new manufacturing processes, plus redesigned photo diodes and micro lenses, extend the light gathering capabilities of the sensor. They obviously feel confident as they've expanded the ISO sensitivity range to 12,800 (100-3200 standard range).

I sold my 40D 10-22, 17-55, 30mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 135 f2 to get a 5D2 & 24-70 f2.8 don't miss the 40D at all

ISO 400, Oh yeh I can see what you mean now POAH
GT1.jpg

Now check the exif on this one
IMG_2666.jpg

Looking at your gallery on TP and the style of photo you take, then perhaps you should be moving towards a full frame camera. Ok, another iron in the fire so to speak, how about the 5D MkI, about 1/3 of the price of the MkII, still a great camera and you had get some very good 2nd copies out there, don't be phased by 2nd hand, my 1D MkIIn is reconditioned and I love it to bits. The 5D will be a marked improvement on your 400D, plus you still get some lovely lolly to spend on lenses.

Peter

:agree:

Posting 800px images to show a lack of noise is a bit pointless. As is showing an underexposed shot to demonstrate how 'bad' the noise is.

Anywhoo, back to the OP; what lenses are you looking at. You can spend a lot more than 400 quid on a lens, maybe a lower priced body, and better glass should be an option.

I went for a 5D instead of the mark II, and spent the change on a 24-70 and another flashgun. But that's just me.

I shoot with 5 people who have mark IIs, and in my opinion none of them need what it offers over the original 5D, or in some cases they would've been better served by an XXD or 1D.

EDIT: I should add, I came from using a 400D, the image quality and general handling of the 5D isn't even comparable.

Posting 800px images to show a lack of noise is a bit pointless. As is showing an underexposed shot to demonstrate how 'bad' the noise is.
Is it? Posting an 800px image is good enough for posting on TP, I could get a print done to any size practical from the original file without any probs. If I get close enough to my tv I will see a little imperfection, if I look closely at my tv stand I migh spot some dust, What I wonder is why people worry too much about tiny technical details and just get on and enjoy the hobby :D

Is it? Posting an 800px image is good enough for posting on TP, I could get a print done to any size practical from the original file without any probs. If I get close enough to my tv I will see a little imperfection, if I look closely at my tv stand I migh spot some dust, What I wonder is why people worry too much about tiny technical details and just get on and enjoy the hobby :D

I'm the last person to get hung up on boring technicalities. But yeah, at 800 px you're not going to see much noise. You can get a print from the original yes, but that's not too relevant to a tiny image on the web.

I'm the last person to get hung up on boring technicalities. But yeah, at 800 px you're not going to see much noise. You can get a print from the original yes, but that's not too relevant to a tiny image on the web.

I do understand all that Jayst ;) my point really was, and I know it was going away a bit from the OP, was if you push anything hard enough you will see it`s flaws. However the 50D is a good camera and the 5d is a very good camera. I dont really think the OP should be concerning himself with a small issue such as noise. Also as mentioned by RichardA,the majority aint gonna view a full size image on their monitor and if they did they are going to see some noise. If I had the choice then it would be the 50D with some quality glass :D

Back