50D - Image corruption /sync issue at high shutter speeds

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Got a strange issue with my 50D body and what appears to be an exposure or shutter issue.

Problem appears to be if the shutter speed is higher than 2000 then it appears to have a shutter sync problem and almost what looks like image corruption.

I've attached 4 images as an example, 3 have the issue and one was taken seconds after the problem occurred and is normal. I've left all of the exif on the images

When I was working on the wedding it was a grey day so i was working with auto iso and spot metering, on a few occasions the metering went wrong and set the shutter to something very high, i.e 2k + but then the next shots were around 150th of a second, i.e normal.

When I realised the issue i changed over bodys (and did some reshoots)

Having a better look over the weekend i couldn't replicate the metering going wrong, but if i forced with AV the shutter to 2k or higher i found the same issue with a black partial image and lots of "noise". On previous weddings something when shooting a white dress in the sun at something like 2.8 i can hit very fast shutter speeds, bit nervous about using that body now just in case i miss a shot i can't reshoot

Have done a factory reset on the camera in case it was a setting gone wrong, but still have the occasional issue.

just wondered if you have any thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• problem-1.jpg
    problem-1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 41
  • problem-1-2.jpg
    problem-1-2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 35
  • problem-1-3.jpg
    problem-1-3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 36
  • problem-1b.jpg
    problem-1b.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 37
I'm wondering if its the mirror sticking. This would be used for metering and AF as well. Maybe have a look with a lens off and try the sensor clean / mirror lock up to see if it opens and closes freely?

Hi All

Got a strange issue with my 50D body and what appears to be an exposure or shutter issue.

Problem appears to be if the shutter speed is higher than 2000 then it appears to have a shutter sync problem and almost what looks like image corruption.

I've attached 4 images as an example, 3 have the issue and one was taken seconds after the problem occurred and is normal. I've left all of the exif on the images

When I was working on the wedding it was a grey day so i was working with auto iso and spot metering, on a few occasions the metering went wrong and set the shutter to something very high, i.e 2k + but then the next shots were around 150th of a second, i.e normal.

When I realised the issue i changed over bodys (and did some reshoots)

Having a better look over the weekend i couldn't replicate the metering going wrong, but if i forced with AV the shutter to 2k or higher i found the same issue with a black partial image and lots of "noise". On previous weddings something when shooting a white dress in the sun at something like 2.8 i can hit very fast shutter speeds, bit nervous about using that body now just in case i miss a shot i can't reshoot

Have done a factory reset on the camera in case it was a setting gone wrong, but still have the occasional issue.

just wondered if you have any thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

Did you have the flash firing? Looks like the faster shutter speed has exceeded the flash sync (usually around 1/250th) so you expose the shutter (the black area).

Yes and no, on the indoor shots the flash was firing (550ex) but was set to high speed sync, but on the outdoor shots and my tests over the weekend the flash wasn't on the camera

I've had a chat with the guy who serviced the body a few months ago and he thinks the 2nd curtain is "running too fast" so might need adjusting, so hopefully a simple fix

Thanks Guys

I don't know exactly what you've done to attach these, but I can't access any of the EXIF data. Since somebody else had to ask you whether you had used the flash, I guess it might not be only me who's having this problem.

Last edited:
The uploads are in the OP's media area, with some EXIF data linked from there.
Oh, thanks. I didn't think of that.

I was hoping that the images would have been uploaded with the full set of original EXIF data, so we could look at the camera settings in detail, but that seems not to be the case.

sorry thought had uploaded them with full exif, but looks like you can get to them from the media area, thanks

Looks like a combination of sync issues, possibly related to a delay from the remote flash trigger. Try retesting with flash directly in the hot-shoe.

Edit: spot metering in any auto mode is asking for trouble - full manual only.

Last edited:
was no remote flash trigger on there, and can replicate the problem by manually setting the camera to a shutter speed of 2k or higher, without flash , after my next wedding (when it will be a backup camera) it's going away to have the shutter checked
thanks
Chris

was no remote flash trigger on there, and can replicate the problem by manually setting the camera to a shutter speed of 2k or higher, without flash , after my next wedding (when it will be a backup camera) it's going away to have the shutter checked
thanks
Chris
To be honest, it's probably cheaper to buy another used 50d, than to have the shutter checked.

thanks
Chris

Haha I took this to mean you were using off-camera flash ;) "my tests over the weekend the flash wasn't on the camera"

If you get that kind of effect with no flash involved, it can only be the shutter.

Back