52 From Dark Star - 52/52 Texture :) (Phew!)

Catch up time, love your low down shot the dof is spot on for me and the colour and texture is great.

Doom & Gloom a good interpretation imho, don't know why you worry about your dof so, it's always spot on. Again the depth and colours in the shot are fantastic. You've blown the white ever so slightly on the pills on the rhs, but not so much to detract from the shot.

Mark(y)

It seems a bit odd of say 'fantastic photo' given the subject matter. But I'm saying it anyway. :D

The colours are great and I think it's the most cheerful Doom and Gloom we've had. :clap::clap::clap:

I hope your broadband arrives soon - it must be driving you nuts!

Jean

Thanks Jean - cheerful? Hmmmm I dunno :)

Catch up time, love your low down shot the dof is spot on for me and the colour and texture is great.

Doom & Gloom a good interpretation imho, don't know why you worry about your dof so, it's always spot on. Again the depth and colours in the shot are fantastic. You've blown the white ever so slightly on the pills on the rhs, but not so much to detract from the shot.

Mark(y)

Thanks mark I tried to lessen that blow out but perhaps didnt go far enough :) Dof always bugs me - sometimes I feel I make it too shallow :) But thanks for you comments - much appreciated :)

Love it! Perfect for the theme (y)

Cheers Conor :)

You might be a week behind, but you're pulling some stunning shots out of the bag!

This is absolutely perfect for the theme and photographically it's a great shot :clap:
The reflections really make it for me. The pills reflected in the bottle and glass and the warm glow from the bottle reflected across the table. I really like this one (y)

Fantastic shot for doom and gloom. Again, quite a depressing shot but I like it all the same. Great composition.

You might be a week behind, but you're pulling some stunning shots out of the bag!

This is absolutely perfect for the theme and photographically it's a great shot :clap:
The reflections really make it for me. The pills reflected in the bottle and glass and the warm glow from the bottle reflected across the table. I really like this one (y)

Wow thanks Sarah thats much appreciated :)

Fantastic shot for doom and gloom. Again, quite a depressing shot but I like it all the same. Great composition.

And thank you too Jarod :)

Superb John... Very Doom and Gloom... Love the colours and the lighting (y) The reflections and the brass really add to the shot.

This I found hard and to be honest I'm not sure if I tried hard enough (I've done books before:bang:)

I love languages, I enjoyed French at school and learned Spanish to a near conversational level a few years ago. Shame I gave it up!

I even got O level Latin :geek: and eventually ended up writing computer languages: COBOL, JCL etc (yes, I know, ancient stuff)

So I have amassed a small collection of dictionaries phrase books etc as I always take on on hols :)

Hence the shot :) I may reshoot if I ever get time :)

4115475286_401fb1e62e_o.jpg

That's quite a nice shot. I like the fact that the books are a bit tattered, and also, not completely in the photograph. It's not your best work yet! But it's not a bad shot all the same :)

Great shot. Nice area of focus..makes me drawn immediately to the French book but the shot is interesting enough to keep me looking at the titles of the other books.

Doom and Gloom is a great idea and very well executed (y)

Communication - please tell me you dont speak all those languages (nicely done though)

I must admit to looking at this shot sideways on so I could read the titles! I liked French and Latin at school, but have totally failed at Spanish. :LOL:

The arrangement of the books and the varied amount of usage makes the shot visually interesting - and it's certainly on theme for Communication. (y)

Jean

Nice one John. On theme, and love the look of those books. They've obviously been used for communication in the past (y)

Thanks folks :) My language skills are rusty but I can get by in three languages really well...English, Spanish and Complete B+ll+cks (well I am in IT :))

Okay this I found very very hard! :shrug:

I am pants at self portraits so I struggled. :bang:

I'm posting 2 - the first is my submission for 'Self' and it kind of adds up cos I rarely take myself seriously :)

The second is simply so that the nosier 52ers ;):D can get a look at my mug properly as most everyone has shown themselves to the gang :)

1) Self 1

4128928867_59aba85e3b_o.jpg

2) Self 2

4129696930_f611f596c0_o.jpg

Love the submission! Very quirky. Was it taken with a fisheye? Or just wide angle or something? Really cool effect.

And I've seen yer mug before so you're no stranger to me now! :LOL: Not a bad photo of ya either ;)

Cheers Conor - I used my Sigma 10-20mm set at 10 plus my ringflash held in front to provide the round frame and provide the light! :D

Very good John. An interesting and quirky view from that Wide angle.. How did you light the second shot ? It looks like the light was from below ish... a good shot of yourself there... That's what you look like ;)

Thanks John - two votes for 'quirky' :D

For the second shot I had my ringflash bounce of a reflector that was being held to my left and down a little bit angled slightly up :)

Hehehe - I like the quirky wide angle. Clever shot. :)

The 'official portrait' for us nosey 52ers is excellent. I like the lighting, it looks natural and 'alive'. If I'm being very picky, I'd suggest turning slightly at an angle to the camera - but hey, you were pandering to us nosey-parkers, so straight on is good!

Jean

Thanks Jean you're very kind :) Its not a patch on some of the 'Selfs' that we've seen this week but its not my forte at all :)

Still its all about stretching yourself ....:)

Catch up for me...:(

The Communication works really well, lots to look at and good use of DOF...:clap:

Self...very very brave...:LOL:

Liked the first one best, great use of the wide angle lens...(why didn't I think of that...:thinking:)

But the second is a very close second, so good work from you Sir...:1st:

..the first one reminds me of someone looking through a spy hole on a door to see who is there

:)

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it!
Here's the fourth? vote for quirky and a big (y)

As a portrait though I really love the second shot for it's simplicity. Definitely not pants at all. Great lighting and you've managed to get your eyes really sharp.

Marcus, Jeff, Sarah - thanks for your comments - the spy hole thing - yes I see what you're saying maybe that was a sublimnal thought :)

Thanks Jean you're very kind :) Its not a patch on some of the 'Selfs' that we've seen this week but its not my forte at all :)

Still its all about stretching yourself ....:)

Don't selll yourself short, John. You've produced not one but two, very different sps - both good, both with something special. Now, no more of this 'not my forte' stuff or Jill and I will be sending the boys round. :bat: :)

Jean

John as i said on msn i love the first one, it shows your character much better than the second one :D

Thanks Ruth (So I'm mad and distorted eh? :) spot on :D)

Don't selll yourself short, John. You've produced not one but two, very different sps - both good, both with something special. Now, no more of this 'not my forte' stuff or Jill and I will be sending the boys round. :bat: :)

Jean

Ah ooops - I bow to your opinion Jean :D Please don't send the boys round :)

Now if the girls were available....:naughty:

Thanks Ruth (So I'm mad and distorted eh? :) spot on :D)

Ah ooops - I bow to your opinion Jean :D Please don't send the boys round :)

Now if the girls were available....:naughty:

No problem - I can come round to give you a slap anytime :bat:

I appear to have neglected your thread for ages - I'm sorry...

Out of Context - the most on-theme shot I've ever seen I think! You bagged that shot at just the right moment so kudos for you having the camera with you when it mattered.

Bubbles - Don't take this the wrong way but I prefer the patterns on top of the bubbles to your reflection. Still very well composed and I like the DOF too.

Low Down - This doesn't scream the theme at me but I actually LOVE it (y) Simple but effective - like the different textures, colours and again the DOF is spot on. Lovely shot.

Doom & Gloom - Well now I'm depressed so it's definately on theme! I'm not sure about the lighting. In one respect it is quite stark (in a good way) and the reflections of the pills in the glass work very well. On the other had maybe a darker atmosphere would also suit the subject :thinking: Ok - I've had an idea - if you can make them clear enough I'd like to see just the reflection of the pills and more of the glass of alcohol... maybe with a tense hand reaching for a pill...

Communication - Honestly? I'm not keen... I think you can do much better and this one doesn't do justice to your skills.

Self - You are absolutely not pants at self portraits - I really like both of these! Like the quirkyness of the first and the lighting in the second is lovely. I don't know what you are talking about flash-wise (that's a 2010 project for me) but whatever you did it is very effective :clap:

Thanks Fi for that comprehensive catch up :) Your dedication is impressive :)!

And Organised I just couldn't get so I did the obvious, damn!

4153928392_54e7af7148_o.jpg

I agree - clever and well judged. You writing is so near and legible, too, John :clap::clap:

I like the placing of the nifty fifty to give the list context.

There's only one suggestion I can think of ....

you could have filled in the last four topics (talk nicely to Simon!) so we know what's in store for us. :naughty: :LOL:

Jean

But you did it well....

Cheers Mark :)

I agree - clever and well judged. You writing is so near and legible, too, John :clap::clap:

I like the placing of the nifty fifty to give the list context.

There's only one suggestion I can think of ....

you could have filled in the last four topics (talk nicely to Simon!) so we know what's in store for us. :naughty: :LOL:

Jean

Too kind Jean - normally my writing is awful - that was done slowly with a calligraphy pen - very slowly I might add :)

Ohh, you did very well. Thats a very clever interpretation! Nicely done (y)

Oi, where's the "Boom and Groom" theme? :LOL:

Thanks Conor - hmmm I didn't have my crowbar with me ;)

Back