580EX II backup flash

Edit My Images
No
I have a 580EXII as my main flash, and DID have a Jessops flash stashed away as a backup. My son's football has just destroyed the backup flash!!!

So, I need another. Do I fork out for another 580EXII or is a 430 good enough as a backup?

Thoughts.

It depends on what you need it for. If you don't need the greater functionality of the 580 then the 430 will be fine. Compare the spec of the two against your needs and weight it up.

I have several of both but as a stand alone flash I always reach for the 580 first, just because its has slightly more power and functionality. That said, the 430 is a very good flash.

Its difficult to answer your Q' without knowing what funtionality you need.

:razz: Not thinking straight now.

Maybe I should go for another 580 as I've told my son he is paying for it out of his pocket money. Will take him forever. ;)

Thank god the designers of the Jessop flash make the mountings from fragile plastic - hopefully it's not damaged my 5D!

I previously had one of the cheap flash units as my main flash - just got the 430EX and it is much MUCH better. By a large margin.

However, I have not used the 580, so I can't comment. :p

I have a 430EX as my backup flash and it does the job well :)

I use a 580EXII as my main flash and have two 430EX as backup / additional lighting. For portraits when I am using one light source but different light shapers I tend to have the 580EXII in one and a 430EX on another and you just have to turn the 430EX up a bit when compared to the 580EXII. Other than slower recharge times it does me well.

If this is truly a backup, i.e. your out taking loads of shots in quick succesion with your 580EXII and you have to resort to your backup, if it is a 430EX you may suffer due to the slower recharge.

Hope this makes more sense than I tried to make in another thread this morning... :thinking:

Back