5D II is DEAD

It may be just the Battery. I had one for my 5D(mk1) go bad. Lasted for about 35 shots then died immediately. Recharging showed fully charged. Fortunately had 3 other batteries to hand.

Lets hope its the battery for your sake Grant - if eBuyer weren't too repsonsve to start with then you're less likely to get anywhere with them now its being repaired. Whilst your sale of goods contract exists with eBuyer, your warranty is with the manufacturer. Provided Canon and their official repair service network do as they should and repair/replace as necessary and in a reasonable time then this seems to be the best approach as it will reduce your time without the camera (hopefully).

There will always be bugs with new equipment (development times are much reduced and testing regimes are costly so tend to rely on the 'its similar to before so it'll be OK' attitude), and electronic devices never like being turned on and off. Whether its a simple battery failure, an expensive circuit repair or a new camera at least the cost is covered.

The repair status is still 'WAITING REPAIR'.

I've never been this long without my SLR, and I'm having to cancel shoots because of it. Especially after my performance with the film stuff. Just not worth wasting the film and the peoples time with sub-par shots.

I've never been this long without my SLR, and I'm having to cancel shoots because of it. Especially after my performance with the film stuff. Just not worth wasting the film and the peoples time with sub-par shots.

Please, I'm not intending to crow AT ALL, but it sounds like you might be exploring getting some insurance after you've sorted this out, even to cover the cost of hiring a replacement body?

My 40D went wrong a couple of weeks back. Covered with Jessops 3 year warrenty which they threw in free, which is actually Domestic & General.

But the cameras gone off to Camtronics as their repairer, who say it needs a new shutter assembly. It's been gone two weeks now and they say it could take another couple of weeks. A bit lost without it...

Luckily I have a 400d backup. That bent/broke pins within a week of having it and then Colchester cameras turned it around in a week for me.

Hi guys, just an update;

I've just rang camera-repairs.co.uk who were one of three authorised repair centers in the UK for Canon products. They made me aware that my 5D2 was received by them tuesday and sent the same day to Canon Headquarters* They also made me aware that Canon have been receiving a lot of 5D2's back - so that's a little worrying. Anyway, it's now been 7 days! And I'm getting a little impatient.. I want my digital back!

Keep you updated.

* This makes me assume that it's not a simple case of a dead battery, or a Grant *****-up.

So I'm growing a little impatient now, and I cannot locate my camera.

As far as Colchester Repair Service are concerned, Canon's Repair Center have my camera. So I've called Canon support to try and locate it. They told me to ring the Canon Repair Center, which I did - and was greeted with a dead tone! So I rang back the Support number and used their menu system to get transferred through to the Repair Center, and I'm greeted with an automated message which said something along the lines of 'due to an emergency we cannot take your call'.

SIGH.

So I've re-rung Canon Support and they've taken my details and (apparently) passed them on to the Repair Center so they can contact me as soon as possible. Now seen as it's taken just over a week and multiple actions on my part to find the where abouts of my camera, let alone its repair status, I'm not sure what Canon's 'as soon as possible' actually means.

I'm growing tired of this now.

get transferred through to the Repair Center, and I'm greeted with an automated message which said something along the lines of 'due to an emergency we cannot take your call'.

So they they are working on your camera then!:LOL: Wayne

Grant, you don't say where you live, but if it's anywhere near Birmingham, I'd go to Focus with all your paperwork and accost Canon on their stand. They always have some of their tech people from Elstree (their centre of excellence..ahem!) and perhaps they could find out on the spot.

Grant, you don't say where you live, but if it's anywhere near Birmingham, I'd go to Focus with all your paperwork and accost Canon on their stand. They always have some of their tech people from Elstree (their centre of excellence..ahem!) and perhaps they could find out on the spot.

Not close enough, unfortunately :(

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Regards

Grant, I'd be geting on to Elstree this morning. I've always got through ok. Also see my pm.
George

Actually could be something simple like a fire drill or bomb scare

Surely they are taking things a bit far if disgruntled customers are resorting to lobbing Molotov cocktails?

Seriously, I hope it's sorted soon. I once had a hifi taped deck go walkabout for months, and it didn't even come back repaired.

This is why you need to stop messing around if you're trying to be a professional, get some back up bodies and get registered with CPS.

I had a fault with my 40D backup body, sent it directly to canon professional services and it was turned around in less than 3 days inc dispatch and return.

Grant, I'd be geting on to Elstree this morning. I've always got through ok. Also see my pm.
George

Thank you George,

Fortunately Elstree rang me about half an hour ago (whilst still in bed, might I add!).

Just to clarify a few things, the lady made me aware that because it was such a new camera, Colchester were very unlikely to have any replacement parts, so all 5D Mk II's are sent directly to Canon for repair. She let me know that they currently had 3 5D Mk II's in for repair. Not the epidemic I assumed initially!

I'll be getting a call back shortly to let me know the status of my repair.

This is why you need to stop messing around if you're trying to be a professional, get some back up bodies and get registered with CPS.

I had a fault with my 40D backup body, sent it directly to canon professional services and it was turned around in less than 3 days inc dispatch and return.

I'm one L series lens short of being able to register for CPS! Otherwise I would...

So no word on what exactly has gone wrong with my camera, but the delay was apparently a part they needed to order in that they didn't have in stock. I'm told it could be as soon as by the end of the week that I'll have it back, or as late as the end of next week.

Which pretty much makes it a total of almost a month without my camera, which is almost as long as I've had it since purchase in the first place!

The lady was awesome, gave me a Canon Ref number, the tracking site and all relevant info needed to keep track of my Camera, despite the fact it's all going through Colchesters Repair Service...

So once it's fixed, it gets sent from Canon to Colchester, and Colchester finally send it to me =/

I'm one L series lens short of being able to register for CPS! Otherwise I would...

Doesnt matter, they're only guidelines.

I got in with a 30D, 20D, 24-105, 85mm F1.8, 50mm f1.8 and 430ex a few years ago, only 1 L series.

Tom.

Doesnt matter, they're only guidelines.

I got in with a 30D, 20D, 24-105, 85mm F1.8, 50mm f1.8 and 430ex a few years ago, only 1 L series.

Tom.

Oh snap!

Thanks, I'll definitely try and register then.

I thought they were minimum requirements...

Really appreciate you letting me know, many regards.

So once it's fixed said:
Grant, I'd get on to them and get it sent straight back to you. And a slight b*iiking to boot.

This is actually taking the **** now.

So I rang Canon, again, after hearing nothing yesterday or today. I won't be recieving my camera back tomorrow, as they're waiting a FIFTH spare part. A FIFTH! She said it was a Sensor Circuit Board, or words to that effect.

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. She said it would take up to a week for that spare part to come in, which literally would mean Canon have had my camera longer than I have, since I purchased the damn thing.

I think I want a D700.

This is actually taking the **** now.

So I rang Canon, again, after hearing nothing yesterday or today. I won't be recieving my camera back tomorrow, as they're waiting a FIFTH spare part. A FIFTH! She said it was a Sensor Circuit Board, or words to that effect.

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. She said it would take up to a week for that spare part to come in, which literally would mean Canon have had my camera longer than I have, since I purchased the damn thing.

I think I want a D700.

Crikes, that is poor TBH :(

I just hope mine doesn't have the same problem. Nikons although far from faultless, seem to have far fewer problems, especially with more recent cameras

Hope it gets sorted very shortly. :)

theres no need to swear.. (awaits a flaming)

have you kicked off at canon yet? mention the fact that this whole fiasco is making you think of switching brands and see what they do.

sell the mk2 and go to a mk1 i reckon, its not a million miles different anyway.

Just got off the phone from making a formal complaint.

To be fair, the support once I've chased it up, has been stellar. But the actual hands on effort they've put in is just poor. I bought the camera 5th Jan, they're planning to get a spare part in a week from now which will be the 3rd, fixed, sent to colchester and then sent to me makes it, a rough estimate of the 9th (factoring in business weekends) which means they've had my camera 1 month 4 days longer than I have!

It's been 1 month of shooting film, which has been costly.

And 1 month without being able to shoot any commissioned shoots (Please, people, save the 'insurance/backup body' crap - I know!)

Anyhow, I expect to hear from the management within 48 hours. Wish me luck!

I bought the camera 5th Jan, they're planning to get a spare part in a week from now which will be the 3rd, fixed, sent to colchester and then sent to me makes it, a rough estimate of the 9th (factoring in business weekends) which means they've had my camera 1 month 4 days longer than I have!
The other worrying aspect of this is that it sounds as though they didn't correctly diagnose what was wrong with it in the first place. It sounds as though decided they could fix it by ordering part A; that arrived and didn't fix it, so they ordered part B ... etc.

Stated that. Was told that had to be done through the retailer.

Except the retailer is eBuyer - and I assumed more luck would be had with Canon.

Two questions (related)...

#1 How much did you save by buying from eBuyer?
#2 How much has being without the camera cost you in lost earnings (and have any customers gone elsewhere' losing you potential further income)?

Long live bricks and mortar shops!!!

How come the cold can effect it? It's not been AS cold as it has been, and i've been out in -2/-3 weather with my 40D and it's been no different?

Update!

Well, no good news really. I was called today, a lady called Maureen (I assume it was the same lady I spoke to on Friday) clarified the issues I've been having, and asked whether Colchester had actually contacted me with regards to the status of my camera. I told her no, and her solution was to contact them, to contact me, and tell me the same damn thing she could've told me there and then!?

Apparently the spare part 'arrived today' and the camera will be fixed, and shipped to Colchester on Monday, and I should have it by the Wednesday (I've heard this story before, last friday.)

Now I asked yesterday for the situation to be brought to the attention of a manager, and that the complaint be raised, however I was left unaware whether or not Maureen was this 'manager' and also what measures would be made to ensure the speedy delivery of my repair.

I still feel a massive hole of despair about the whole situation. I've had nothing but sympathy from the support team, but the effort involved seems to have ended there. The camera has still, at the very minimum, been a month out of my hands, and the communication from Canon (i.e. their ability to get off their arses and contact ME about the situation of my camera, without me having to raise the situation to their attention first...) has been zilch.

I don't know, I usually get a good level of service once I've made a formal complaint, but in this situation I've felt like they haven't cared for the bitter taste they've left me with.

Meh, sort it out Canon.

Just got off the phone to Consumer Direct, and somethings just clicked...

I'm not bound by my statutory rights when the camera has been sent to the Manufacturer under the Warranty - I'm bound by the terms and conditions of that warranty, in this case (the case where as I'm a dunce and decided to go straight to the Manufacturer and not the Supplier) - it isn't going to happen.

The lady from Consumer Direct stated that I can contact eBuyer, explain the situation that's happened with Canon, and request a Repair/Refund/Replacement - under my statutory rights.

But here in lays the question. Do I do this, and be without my camera for another week/two weeks after my fixed camera arrives back so I can have a brand new replacement devoid of these issues? Or do I just stay-put with a camera that's been fiddled and toyed with by the technicians for over a month?

Jeez.

Back