5D II is DEAD

Edit My Images
No
So I was shooting a commissioned band shoot today, and my 5D just decided to turn off. The battery was fully charged, everything was fine. And it won't turn on. It did so intermittently at first, but now it's just absolutely gone.

Luckily I had my MF and 35mm Camera with me, so managed to still get some shots - but without the variety of lenses I had with my 5D and low-light performance, I fear the worst.

Anyone heard anything like this before? It's as if the battery is kaput. I checked all the contacts, cf, battery compartment, etc. Nothings amiss.

:( Not good to hear. Hope you bought it either new or from somewhere where you can make a warranty claim.

Not much help to you though as I have never had anything like that happen to me - and hope I never do!
Alan

I wouldn't be half as bothered if I wasn't on the job! I'm just thankful it wasn't on the wedding job I have coming up soon as it's the only Full-Frame I have. :(

That's very, very scary. Do you have any other batteries you can try out? Or if not, any way of testing that the one you are using really is fully charged?

I have no way of testing the battery, but it was on full charge last night, and it showed full capacity when the camera was on. I tried to recharge it and it took a couple seconds before saying it was already fully charged.

Were you shooting somewhere cold, I know everywhere is cold just now (before someone points that out ;)), but with a bit of luck it'll just be something as simple as that :)

Weather too cold perhaps? :shrug: Somebody else said they had a similar problem because it was cold.

Perhaps a wander down to your local camera emporium might be in order? See if they've either got a 5D MkII you can test your battery in or a LP-E6 that you can test in yours.

Scary that it even happened though.

I only have the one battery and it's an OEM one.

I am 99% sure it isn't the battery, as it's been perfectly okay and was shooting from a full charge. It hadn't even lasted 45 minutes before going kaput, and when it intermittently worked - the camera showed the battery to be full power, then dead straight afterwards.

does you camera work now? how old is the battery?

go to jessops and explain to them that you want to try a battery to see if the camera is dead, they usually have a few of those spare on full charge. If they are nice, which i can't imagine why they should't be considering the current economical conditions. and you camera still doesn't turn on, then i think its a trip to Canon for repairs. Might be something utterly stupid like a loose contact or might be something major with the electronics.

Unfortunately you won't know until you have ran some tests and route out the explainable variables. good luck buddy! hope you sort this out soon

Contact the seller as this should be covered by them.

go to jessops and explain to them that you want to try a battery to see if the camera is dead,

Why take it to Jessops if you didn't buy it there?

does you camera work now? how old is the battery?

Camera and battery cannot be more than 3 months old as they have only been available for that long, so it should be still under warranty (provided it was a UK model). PITA I know, but it may need a trip back to Canon (assuming it is a UK version).

Good luck, I know I would be devastated if my 5D2 went wrong, I really do love it.

Just a related aside....

Not sure about the consequences of being repaired v's whether they have to supply a new one, but if your camera has to be returned to the retailer & they have to return it to Canon for checking/repair, then it can be much quicker to return the camera direct to Canon.

I had to send mine back last month under warranty, it would have been posted to the retailer who would have posted it to Canon (not sure if Canon post it back to the retailer or direct to me but either way that's several days in the post).

I live within 30 miles of Canon in Elstree so I just rang them, took it over, they sorted it the next day & I collected it the day after, it would have spent that long on one of the postal journeys. I didn't deal with the retailer at all.

I have no idea if this affects any terms & conditions. Presumably though, if it was a return for a replacement you'd need to do it through the retailer.

I never see the point in involving retailers (unless its DOA I guess), as ultimately the warranty rests with the manufacture.

It's just another pair of hands to pass through, and adds potential for delays / cock-ups.

Rang Canon, have no bearing on the issue, so it's gotta go through the routine 'send it to repairs' rig amoral.

Ah well, lets hope I at least receive a diagnosis when I get it back.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I had something similar with my MkI at a wedding in December. Fully charged battery went in 15 mins. Thankfully I had four others on me (and a second camera) so a quick swap and off I went. I shot with the same camera at an event at Manchester MEN the following week and toasty warm, the same battery lasted all night!

I'm hoping that your problem was the same and quite simply more batteries in the cold is the answer.

Oh and if you are shooting weddings you really don't need me to tell you to get spare batteries do you? Just imagine that happening during the ceremony, for the sake of a spare battery? :)

Sorry to hear of your woes. I had something similar with my MkI at a wedding in December. Fully charged battery went in 15 mins. Thankfully I had four others on me (and a second camera) so a quick swap and off I went. I shot with the same camera at an event at Manchester MEN the following week and toasty warm, the same battery lasted all night!

I'm hoping that your problem was the same and quite simply more batteries in the cold is the answer.

Oh and if you are shooting weddings you really don't need me to tell you to get spare batteries do you? Just imagine that happening during the ceremony, for the sake of a spare battery? :)

Like I say, I don't think it's a problem with the battery. I believe it's the internals that are woe.

And you don't need to tell me about spare batteries, miss ;)

I wonder if there might be some parallels with the problems reported in this thread. Okay, they were in the arctic and you (presumably!) weren't. But reading through the thread, it seems that the temperature was just above zero. And further down the thread,there's speculation that a similar problem was caused by taking the camera from a cold environment into a warm one. With the weather we've had here lately, I wondered if you might have been in the same situation.

And thats why i have 3 Full Frame cameras, i know it can happen sometimes in any situation that one camera doesn't work properly, so you feel you wish that you have another camera with you as backup.

Three? Now you're just showing off.

Can't you send one to Grant?

It is not a showoff, there are many people have more than 5 cameras or even 10 [mixed of film, digital, MF,...] so why you telling me i am a showoff now? i have 9 cameras if you want the truth, but i was saying that in some cases one camera to work all the time can be risky, i was shooting some football games, and i forgot to recharge my battery, but thank God that time i carried 2 cameras, so i used the other one when this one stopped and battery running out.

In fact if he/she has a 5DII and MF and 35mm as he/she said then no problem for him/her to buy another FF camera :D

Sounds like the same thing that happened to my 400D Nothing to do with temperatures at all, can't remember the exact diagnosis but something to with exposure that's damaged the circuit board. over £200 to fix :(

Thread on it here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=104428

Edit: actually if yours was intermittent it might not be the same thing at all.... :/

Good luck anyway.

Any update on the situation then, Grant?

Camera-repairs.co.uk recieved it just half an hour ago, hopefully have it back by the end of the week but I couldn't be sure till I hear from them

It is not a showoff, there are many people have more than 5 cameras or even 10 [mixed of film, digital, MF,...] so why you telling me i am a showoff now? i have 9 cameras if you want the truth, but i was saying that in some cases one camera to work all the time can be risky, i was shooting some football games, and i forgot to recharge my battery, but thank God that time i carried 2 cameras, so i used the other one when this one stopped and battery running out.

In fact if he/she has a 5DII and MF and 35mm as he/she said then no problem for him/her to buy another FF camera :D

Geez I have about 5-6 cameras myself, but I am a student, and very skint now! The MF and 35mm Camera provided adequate backup and proved far more useful than the 50D I borrowed from my girlfriend later that day (for the gig stuff) although I must say the 50D noise handling is absolutely terrible compared to my 5D II

It is not a showoff, there are many people have more than 5 cameras or even 10 [mixed of film, digital, MF,...] so why you telling me i am a showoff now?
Whoah, steady on there. It was a light-hearted comment. Nothing more.

Camera-repairs.co.uk recieved it just half an hour ago, hopefully have it back by the end of the week but I couldn't be sure till I hear from them
Are they a third-party or did you buy the 5D MkII from them?

Whoah, steady on there. It was a light-hearted comment. Nothing more.

Are they a third-party or did you buy the 5D MkII from them?

They're one of only 3 Canon Official Repairs companies.

It was either to them, or a place in Glasgow, or another whoms geographical location I can't even bare to remember =/

I asked the guys at Canon whether they'd had this happen with anyone else, and they said as it's such a new camera there's no issues as of yet that relate to mine?

That was useful of them. Nice to see you're breaking new ground, bet that makes you feel so much better.

I don't know where you got the camera from, so excuse me if I'm prying, but did you not have any contact with the company that you bought the 5D MkII from? Were they not willing/able to help you?

Or was it they who suggested sending it off to on official repairer?

I never see the point in involving retailers (unless its DOA I guess), as ultimately the warranty rests with the manufacture.

It's just another pair of hands to pass through, and adds potential for delays / cock-ups.

If you bought it from a retailer, your contract is with them, not the manufacturer direct. The manufacturer can insist you take it back where it came from. Standard retail proceedure.
Hope it all gets sorted though, haven't heard of any problem like that before, some minor issues if using a 3rd party battery or a grip problem.

That was useful of them. Nice to see you're breaking new ground, bet that makes you feel so much better.

I don't know where you got the camera from, so excuse me if I'm prying, but did you not have any contact with the company that you bought the 5D MkII from? Were they not willing/able to help you?

Or was it they who suggested sending it off to on official repairer?

To be honest I've never had much luck with the company I'd bought it from (eBuyer) - and I'd much rather deal with the company that make the product rather than supply it, as they're sure to know what's wrong with it / have it repaired much faster than going through the RMA with eBuyer.

from all of my cameras only my 5D [classic] is damaged [only internal mirror which fall off], so i am happy that i had another full frame camera to use when my 5D not working properly [i can't see in viewfinder without a mirror], and i took it now after 1 year for repairing, costs about $326, dunno if it is too much.
Anyway, ignore my nickname, i am fully hobbyist photographer and i just doing photography as fun and enjoying it.

Oh, eBuyer. Say no more.

To give credit where due, I saw they listed my camera £100 cheaper the day after I'd bought it, and I kicked up a fuss and had the £100 re-reimbursed to me. But I daren't push my luck with them! :p

Back