5D Mark II Finally Announced - Official Discussion Thread

Edit My Images
No
DP Review:

Pre-Photokina 2008: After a week or so of teaser ads Canon has finally unveiled the successor to the venerable EOS 5D, the world's first 'compact' full frame digital SLR. The EOS 5D Mark II boasts a new 21MP CMOS sensor, an expanded ISO range of 50-25,600 and a wealth of improvements and new features including full 1080p HD movie recording, live view, 3.0" 920k dot LCD, DIGIC IV processor, increased battery capacity and sensor dust reduction. We've just received a pre-production EOS 5D Mark II and will publish a full hands-on preview later today.

Looks impressive, very impressive. I wonder what the street price will be as this will be its ultimate decider with current full frame offerings from competing manufacturers selling in the sub £2000 bracket.

EDIT:

Pricing:

• US: $ 2,699
• EU: € 2,499
• UK: £ 2,299

EDIT 2:

Thats pushing Nikon D3 territory which is a bold move. Will be interesting to see how the price drops within the next month or so.

They obviously listened to then target market then :thinking: how many people were saying "I tell you what I am missing from my camera - I can't shoot HD movies on it"!!!!! Mickey mouse addition IMO.............. still no improvement to the AF by the looks of it :wacky:

They obviously listened to then target market then :thinking: how many people were saying "I tell you what I am missing from my camera - I can't shoot HD movies on it"!!!!! Mickey mouse addition IMO.............. still no improvement to the AF by the looks of it :wacky:

Hmmm. I dunno. The 5D is still regarded as the wedding togs Fav body so it's not unreasonable for the tog to take a small 5min clip to throw in on the victims DVD?

What a load of rubbish! Guess I'm looking at the 5Dmk1 or a D700 then now. I'm not paying that kind of money for no weather proofing, same AF, stupid qty of MP that will waste my time and storage and just to rub it in, a bloody video mode. The good thing about this release is that the mk1 should be slightly cheap.

Completely underwhelmed :(

What a load of rubbish! Guess I'm looking at the 5Dmk1 or a D700 then now. I'm not paying that kind of money for no weather proofing, same AF, stupid qty of MP that will waste my time and storage and just to rub it in, a bloody video mode. The good thing about this release is that the mk1 should be slightly cheap.

Completely underwhelmed :(

thats maybe, but.....

EOS 5D Mark II achieves the highest level of image quality of any EOS Digital SLR released to date.

Says who? Canon? Let's see how the reviews pan out before getting carried away.

Agreed. The only thing that would tempt me to get this camera now is if the price suddenly dropped (like £500!) and the picture quality is as ground breaking as the first 5D's was.

Somehow I dont think those two will happen but I really hope they do.

Hang on a second, the price is not far off a 1ds MKIII ! and still about £700 more than the D700 !

really dissapointed.
I wanted the integrated battery grip (for weather proofing) and get rid of the cumbersome Mode dial. Well done canon, you have really protected the 1DS series but probably lost a lot of canon users/sales.

In a funny way though, the existing 5D's relatively slow AF (particularly for sports) makes it fit nicely in the line up and from Canons point of view, probably encourages users to take a step up to an even more expensive body (ie. 1D).

I'll be interested to see a more in-depth review soon :)

It seems to be very over priced at the moment. I was thinking about going full frame but at that price I dont think I will be.

In a funny way though, the existing 5D's relatively slow AF (particularly for sports) makes it fit nicely in the line up and from Canons point of view, probably encourages users to take a step up to an even more expensive body (ie. 1D).

Or move over to Nikon.

Sounds a bit to me that Canon have been working on this so long that they sort of lost their way in terms of both feature list and what the competition offered in the meantime.

Mind you, the 5D occupied a rather unique position in the market when it came out, now there is serious competition it does look a bit under gunned.

I would never buy it. I strongly object to paying almost the same price in $US as it does in £UK!!

I think Nikon should hang their heads in shame. It's sheer profiteering, nothing more.

Very dissapointed, was looking to save and upgrade :( We all knew the MP will be upgraded but to not upgrade the autofocus is very silly. Even the 50D has better focus points all cross types from what i remember. THink i might downgrade from 5D to a 50D now (but it seems more like an upgrade).

I'm betting they reckon more serious enough to consider a 5D or 1D, probably already has all the glass to go with it.....

Not me, i got a 30D, skipped the 40D so i can move to full frame. I also sold all my lenses some of which are EF so i can do that and now i only have the body which isn't a lot to sell if i jump ship. That or get the 1Ds MKIII all together, the price the 5DMK2 sits at the moment makes no sense, its more expensive than the D700 (even when launched) and not much less than the 1DsMKIII.

Re the AF Canon keep all the whizzy AF tech for the 1 series, we have seen that in all of the latest generation of Canons - none of them have upped the game in AF, because AF speed is a pro thing as far as Canon are concerned anyway. Everyone else can just shoot slow things.

As a nikon user i can't understand canon's reasoning with this. Its all well and good saying "don't change whats not broken", but when your competitor is the D700 it really does matter. 9 point AF and 3.9fps? Its barely an upgrade over the 5D, and with the D700 having 51 point AF, capable of 8fps, and £700-£800 cheaper, madness.

Hehe Im glad this came out, because now existing 5ds will be cheaper in a few years when im off to uni!

oh yes :p

As a nikon user i can't understand canon's reasoning with this. Its all well and good saying "don't change whats not broken", but when your competitor is the D700 it really does matter. 9 point AF and 3.9fps? Its barely an upgrade over the 5D, and with the D700 having 51 point AF, capable of 8fps, and £700-£800 cheaper, madness.

I can't help but agree with that but then think of the target market; landscape photographers, not sports, thats what the 1dmkii/mkiii etc are for. I expect we'll see a mkiv in not to distant future if the digic 4 processor is the current one on the block, I can't see the 1d line being left out of this for too long.
does this mean the 1ds mkiii will be coming down in price then?

I think my mind is made up now having seen the spec and the price - which will drop of course but I'm going to order a 1D MkIII. 21mp is overkill for my picture reproductions and as for a video mode do not get me started... Perhaps they should have included a mobile phone too :)

Lets all see what the real price is in a few months time - the 1000D was lauched with a silly RRP, making it currently about the same price as a 450D. If the UK and US prices are so close then people will import them, it'll be worth the import duty charges. The competition, whether it be D700 or D3, will also dictate how much discounting is required. I think Canon have pitched the price based on all the interest on forums like this; and probably got it wrong. However if you are a professional with a bag full of L glass in the studio then its a more difficult decsion to swap across to the dark side.

Spec wise, well high fps isn't for everyone, more AF points would be nice but is it really that important (or just a numbers game like Mp is ?). Its all about the image quality, and thats what people at this price point will be after.

Goodness knows why they bothered with video - its almost as though they had the software so just bunged it on to add to the spec. Drop the video and the live view and make it £300 cheaper.

You can still find brand new 1Ds Mk11's for about £2,400 - I very nearly committed to one last week. I think that would be a far better camera than the 5D Mk11.

I cannot understand this deviation into moving images, it's just technical posturing against your competitors. A faster AF (but not as fast as the 1D) and 17MP would have been better received by "users".

Steve

Based on the spec, I'll be sticking with my 5D MKI until the price drops by half! I agree that the least they should have done was increase the fps and improved the AF. More MPs doesn't really mean anything these days and the movie mode is nothing more than a gimmick (they've done it because they can). Drop the movie mode and give us the build quality of the 1D series at least. Actually, I think I might just save up for a 2nd hand 1Ds MKIII, it would probably be a more worthwhile move.

Back