5D Mark II Finally Announced - Official Discussion Thread

Alright, am I being Mr Thickie here... How does he produce that second image (the one with the geezer kissing the lady in red) without any "post-production except for the inclusion of the artist’s watermark."?

I mean, look at the different areas in and out of focus... you can't do that with DOF and you can't do that with a soft spot filter... so if it's a JPEG straight out of camera, with no cheating, how? :thinking:

Alright, am I being Mr Thickie here... How does he produce that second image (the one with the geezer kissing the lady in red) without any "post-production except for the inclusion of the artist’s watermark."?

I mean, look at the different areas in and out of focus... you can't do that with DOF and you can't do that with a soft spot filter... so if it's a JPEG straight out of camera, with no cheating, how? :thinking:

I think that is a tilt & shift lens?

Vincent quite regularly uses several tilt shift lenses in his stuff, it even says underneath the image it was taken with the Canon TS-E 45mm f2.8. In the video you can see how he actually manipulates the dof while filming.

In the behind the scenes videos you see in some of the tracking scenes them using gyro's to help stabilise the shots but I would imagine any static shots are tripoded.

Vincent quite regularly uses several tilt shift lenses in his stuff, it even says underneath the image it was taken with the Canon TS-E 45mm f2.8. In the video you can see how he actually manipulates the dof while filming.

I always wanted one of these, not cheap thou, it's more expensive than some L glass !

Me too, I would love one. For all I would use it I would probably get better value from buying some old LF gear and use it to get the movements.

I've never used a tilt & shift lens but have read about them and how they work and am still struggling to see how it works with this image. :shrug:

The fore and midground up to the far riverbank are all heavily out of focus with the exception of the figures heads which are kept sharp in focus... I understand how that could be done (i think!)... but then the most far distant skyscrapers (on both the right and left) come back more into focus than the nearer objects on the river (like the coloured lights).

I'm not trying to catch the feller out, it's obviously possible... just curiosity and my simple brain trying to wrap itself around how the optics work :thinking:

Some excellent low-noise shots on 1600. However, would have been nice to see 3200 and 6400 with a faster shutter. A couple are slightly blurred, that could be to 1/20th. I doubt it though, considering he used exceedingly valuable stands and stabilisers throughout the shoot.

Need to see some hand held 3200/6400 @ 1/60th.

I would have to have a play with a tilt shift lens myself to figure it out my brain just hurts when I try to work it out but it looks like the lens is tilted and shifted to have the focal plane from the river to the background while keeping the bridge oof.

For those who care this chap has compared a Canon 5D MKII (10 megapixel sRAW vs a D700) at high ISO.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=30227337

I'm not totally convinced that using a pixel-binned sRAW is apples-to-apples but its interesting.

Very interested, but that link points to the forum. Whats the thread title? Thanks.

Edit: it appears it was removed. Great. Another similar one here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=30227170

More comparisons here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=30205565

Back