5D mkII rumour mill

Edit My Images
No
I popped in to Jessops (Canary Wharf) on my lunch break this afternoon and there was a Canon event happening with a few Canon representatives walking around giving demo's and so forth...I took the opportunity to ask one of them if Canon were going to release a 5D mkII or a newer model of the 5D whatever it may be called anytime soon.

She said that I was the 20th person to ask her that question today and asked me if I was a member of any online forums to which i replied I was ;):LOL: and she then told me that she had also seen the specs and wishlists online but at present there is nothing in the pipeline for a 5D mkII. She said that the 5D is an excellent camera in its own right and the only thing it would benefit from is the Digic III processor...

Now im no expert i've only just got my 40D which im very happy with, but im sure there must be other features that current 5D owners would want in a newer model?...She also said that if they released a camera with the wishlist specs that are flying around then all the 1D owners would be up in arms...

Anyway I think they are there tomorrow as well in case anybody's in the area and wants to go and have a chat...

(y)

I agree about the wishlists out there...
the 1d owners wouldnt be happy :)
I am about to be the proud mummy of a 5d, and if i had to say one thing i would want, would be a faster fps and environmental sealing... but saying that, i hardly do anyhting fast and if i am out in the rain, i would wrestle with an umbrella! :LOL:
so that would be me just being greedy :)

I don't think the 1Ds owners would be to happy either

they probably wouldnt be too happy, but it would put you in line for a new 1 series, and open up a gap in the middle for a 50d. how old is the 1ds now?

Personally I dont think the 1D owners would give a damn, you buy a 1D because its a 1D! Its a professional tool that will take a bashing over and over again. It has amazing build quality and is fit for purpose.

The 5D although an excellent camera will never be in the 1D class no matter if they add a 100 gimmicks, 20mp or live view. Now don't get me wrong my next camera (in a few weeks) will be a 5D but only because I cannot afford a 1Ds and as a camera its a real good bit of kit.

I 'fondled' a 1Ds MkIII at focus and I can tell you its 'love at first grope' :love:

But then again I have been known to be wrong about these things :bonk:

The only thing a 5D would benifit from is a Digic III processor? lol, what?

Pretty much the only thing that makes the 5D an oustanding camera compared to others in the Canon lineup (like the 40D) is it's sensor.

EVERYTHING else needs an upgrade (needs better AF with more points, bigger LCD, liveview, faster FPS etc).

Canon representatives are ALWAYS going to say 'Theres no current plans to upgrade the 5D at this time'. Canon have been working on a new 5D for ages probably, they are just waiting for the right time to release it (and to get as many sales out of the 5D MKI as possible). Plus with a big release like the 5D MKII (it's probably the most anticipated release out of any current model from Canon) they need a BIG place to release it, so probably Photokina later this year.

And besides, some Canon representative at a Jessops store is not going to know anything about the insides of Canon and there future releases. They are just there to provide support on current models (infact higher up the food chain at Canon they probably tell the people under them to specifically say that they arn't releasing a 5D so that people go out and buy the current version).

I think (and hope, I really REALLY want one!) we will see a 5D MKII this year, probably towards the end of 2008.

The only thing a 5D would benifit from is a Digic III processor? lol, what?

Pretty much the only thing that makes the 5D an oustanding camera compared to others in the Canon lineup (like the 40D) is it's sensor.

EVERYTHING else needs an upgrade (needs better AF with more points, bigger LCD, liveview, faster FPS etc).

Canon representatives are ALWAYS going to say 'Theres no current plans to upgrade the 5D at this time'. Canon have been working on a new 5D for ages probably, they are just waiting for the right time to release it (and to get as many sales out of the 5D MKI as possible). Plus with a big release like the 5D MKII (it's probably the most anticipated release out of any current model from Canon) they need a BIG place to release it, so probably Photokina later this year.

And besides, some Canon representative at a Jessops store is not going to know anything about the insides of Canon and there future releases. They are just there to provide support on current models (infact higher up the food chain at Canon they probably tell the people under them to specifically say that they arn't releasing a 5D so that people go out and buy the current version).

I think (and hope, I really REALLY want one!) we will see a 5D MKII this year, probably towards the end of 2008.

Don't shoot the messenger :LOL:

I do agree with you though I think they are working on a new model behind the scenes and probably have for some time...However I do agree with the representitive to some extent that if the next 5D is all singing all dancing then it might upset the 1D owners somewhat...Why buy a 1D when you can get a 5D mkII with similar features for less money? Dont get me wrong the 1D series will always be the daddy...But for those that can't afford a 1D...like moi...the new 5D is going to be very tempting indeed...but im happy with my 40D for now :LOL:

Nah the 5D MKII won't be as good as the 1Ds. One reason is it's simply too expensive to produce a camera that rivals the 1Ds for the price of the 5D. The point of the 5D is it's supposed to be an affordable full-frame DSLR.

It's like 3-4 grand cheaper than the 1Ds, so the camera needs to have features that reflect it's price tag.

I agree with 8utters, and I think I also agree with the Canon rep. The 5D currently sits in a fairly unique niche in the market, and Canon would have to think very carefully about changing that.

OK, it doesn't have weather sealing and it doesn't have a high frame rate. But it's really optimised for studio portrait work where you don't need those things - but you do need those lovely big pixels and the IQ they deliver. If you want a rugged action camera, you buy a 1D.

To my mind it's a bit like the EF 400mm f/5.6L. On paper it looks under-specified; it's slow for a prime and it's the only long Canon lens without IS. But it is optimised for one task - birds (or aircraft) in flight - so it is light, razor sharp, and lightning quick to focus. People who've used it know that a brand-new 400mm f/4 IS, whilst theoretically better on paper, wouldn't do that particular job so well.

Yeah the 5D does fit a niche in the market, something that Nikon can't currently compete with. I think they will release a MKII towards the end of 2008, they are just keeping their mouths shut about it so people will buy MKIs.

Your right though Stewart, many features such as fast FPS arn't essential for the 5D, but I don't think that's the issue here, it's not the fact that Canon should make it loads faster with all these features similar to a 1D, it's that the camera is well overdue for an upgrade.

And it should be modelled on a 1Ds anyway, so have similar features, just not quite as good (i.e. like 20/30 AF points, partial weather sealing etc).

Back