5DMIII motorsport settings

Name
lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
hello, just got back from mallory park 1000 bikes and i struggled with the canon, single shots are fine, but when panning and trying to keep focus on a moving bike it was hard, i missed the focus on most of the shots,

so what setting should i be using for it????? what kind of focus setting should i use, i thought it would be the same as the nikon :bonk:

also i was trying to do continuous shot but it was very slow, is my 32GB sandisk 30 MB/s class 10 card enough, or was it the fact i was shotting in raw.

thanks.

can you post some shots of your problem?

When you load into DPP where does the program show the focus point as?

I shoot motorsport with a 60D and have no problems tracking single seater racers and bike days so you "should" have no problems with a 5D3

Are you using a Compact flash card or an SD card or do you have both cards in the camera.

thanks gary

dalegt4 ill get some up soon, problem was not having the bike in focus, but in the last 1/2 hour i have had a play, and changed it to al servo, i didt have that at mallory today,

i am only using a SD card.

how many focus points should i use???

Use a compact flash card. The 5D MkIII doesnt have a high speed SD slot (unless the latest firmware update has changed this)

See here.

http://jeffcable.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/why-you-should-not-put-sd-card-in-your.html

AI servo is a must. With a bit of practice single point should be ok. But expanding around the centre point, which gives 5 or 9 points might be worth a go also. Best thing is to try various AF points and expansions and find which works for you.

Last edited:
thanks you 2, right i need a good CF card, i want 16GB, what 1 should i get??? i want to spend around £30 or 40, or for that money should i be looking at an 8GB one???

cheers john, i ended up going for the 8gb one as i needed it quick, i wont have it for tomorrow at brands but il have it for saturday and sunday.

is any one else going friday???

also what of the 6 case setting for the AF is best suited to bikes???

cheers people.

AI Servo is a basic fundamental to motorsport shots and anything moving like Andrew says - you can further tune the focus settings by using the different modes in the AF menu - the standard settings I use are

Single point with expansion (not spot)

Tracking sensitivity all the way to the right (I did also have success with all the way to the left)

Accel.Decel all the way to the right
Af point auto switching all the way to left

The 5D iii is the best thing I have ever used for motorsport the images are crisp and the camera nails focus 9/10 times.

I LOVE IT!

Back