5DMkIII Price Drop?

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
It may still be a bit early with the introduction of the Mk4 but I haven't seen any drop on new or used 5DIIIs yet.

Quite the contrary, s/h, imports and UK prices have gone up, probably due to Brexit.

Is it likely to happen soon?

The weak pound shouldn't impact on secondhand prices but unfortunately it does as they tend to follow the trend in new prices. If the market becomes flooded with used 5Diiis the prices should drop, at least I hope so.

If the market becomes flooded with used 5Diiis the prices should drop, at least I hope so.
I don't think the market will become flooded though. Let's face it, the 5D Mk III is an excellent camera and it doesn't stop being an excellent camera just because there's now a Mk IV. I think there are an awful lot of people out there who aren't experiencing any significant shortcomings with their Mk IIIs, so there isn't much pressure to upgrade.

I don't think the market will become flooded though. Let's face it, the 5D Mk III is an excellent camera and it doesn't stop being an excellent camera just because there's now a Mk IV. I think there are an awful lot of people out there who aren't experiencing any significant shortcomings with their Mk IIIs, so there isn't much pressure to upgrade.

Fully agree.

Used 5D3s are already stupidly cheap, can't see them dropping much further for the time being. New ones won't get any cheaper and will quite possibly get more expensive as stocks dry up and due to the weak pound.

If you want any kit at all, I'd buy it right now as prices are only going to go up when the exchange rate starts to bite.

Cheers all. I think that's all about right. The Mk4 is out of reach for me at the moment so now to decide between the 7d2, 6d or 5d3.

(y)

All superb cameras suited to slightly different needs. I have both the 6D and 5D3 and they're both excellent.

There is a huge delta between the cost of a used 5Diii and the cost of a new one. I'd say the 5DIII is peak value right now. I would say that though as I have a low mileage one in the classifieds :). Seriously though, Brexit has probably helped the old model sustain its used price and increased the delta for new. A £1300 differential between a new U.K one and a lightly used U.K. one would mean you'd need to be mad to buy new at the moment due to the massive depreciation hit as you walk out the door.

Last edited:
Agreed, used 5D3s are the bargain of the century right now.

Cheers all. I think that's all about right. The Mk4 is out of reach for me at the moment so now to decide between the 7d2, 6d or 5d3.

(y)
cant make my mind up which one to buy between a 6D or 5DIII why have you got both ?

(y)

Of the 3, the 5DIII is the better camera in my view. Depends on how/where you plan to buy them - new/used/grey etc as to the value comparison. A very low mileage 5D3 can be had for £1200. So that's what I'd benchmark the others with.

Last edited:
I have been watching the MK3 for an absolute age while waiting for the MK4. Last time the shops did loads of clearance sales to try to shift the Mk2. Since the time the Mk4 was announced the MK3 has done up £200 and HDEW have a warning on the page saying it will have to go up another £60 today. In the end I bit the bullet and accepted my dithering has cost me £300. It's only going one way for the foreseeable future until everyone realises the sky isn't falling down. Hopefully I will keep it as long as I have had my 50D so it's not a huge deal if it gives me that much service.

I bought a 24-70mk2 as well and that's gone up £150 too in just over a week.

Of the 3, the 5DIII is the better camera in my view. Depends on how/where you plan to buy them - new/used/grey etc as to the value comparison. A very low mileage 5D3 can be had for £1200. So that's what I'd benchmark the others with.

Yeah, 5DIII all the way I think. I already have a mk1 7D and it's woeful in low light. I enjoy taking pictures of wildlife and landscapes and I thought the Mk1 would be ideal. It is ideal really but low light and noise performance let it down.

I'm waiting on a s/h mkIII coming along at the right price.

Yeah, 5DIII all the way I think. I already have a mk1 7D and it's woeful in low light. I enjoy taking pictures of wildlife and landscapes and I thought the Mk1 would be ideal. It is ideal really but low light and noise performance let it down.

I'm waiting on a s/h mkIII coming along at the right price.

I've got one, low miles in the classifieds at the moment. I'm planning on sending it to MPB on Monday, but thought I'd see if anyone here could benefit. It depends on if that meets your definition of right price, but the price a dealer will pay puts something of a floor on the value.

The weak pound shouldn't impact on secondhand prices but unfortunately it does as they tend to follow the trend in new prices. If the market becomes flooded with used 5Diiis the prices should drop, at least I hope so.

For that to happen mkIV must not cost £3.5k. At the very least 5DSR should drop heavily. Unfortunately exactly the opposite is taking place.

Like petrol prices, I expect as Sterling falls the price of photography equipment will quickly increase. If Sterling recovers the price of photography equipment will not fall quite so quickly in response. But there again I may just be cynical.

Back