6 Nations 2017

Magic first half

A cracking game. Really really enjoyed it. (the win was nice too :cool: )

Another excellent Six Nations game today. A good result for England. It was hard to call but I thought Wales deserved to win, just.

Looking forward to France v Scotland tomorrow.

Dave

Can anybody techie explain to me why picture quality and noticeably sound quality is far worse on ITV HD than BBC HD? Is it just that the Beeb is actually better at stuff like this?

Oh and even I spotted that mistake from Wales at the end. The kind of thing you'd expect England to do......

Well a fairly brutal first half of the Scotland France game.

Think one of the sound engineers must be Scottish as at half time, they muted the French commentator reply to Gaby's question [emoji3]

Another great game and although Scotland lost and will be disappointed they should take something positive from it. They held, IMO, a very good team to a small difference in scores.

Probably the best two early weekends of the Six Nations I have seen for a good while.

Dave

Disappointed with he defeat and I hope Laidlaw's injury isn't as bad as it looked, feel we missed his leadership in the second half but fingers crossed for the remaining 3 fixtures! Come on Scotland!

Another great game and although Scotland lost and will be disappointed they should take something positive from it. They held, IMO, a very good team to a small difference in scores.

Probably the best two early weekends of the Six Nations I have seen for a good while.

Dave

Yes, I'd agree with this, felt Scotland's defended excellently and were unlucky to loose, felt France played at times quicker and freer / more fluid with the ball when they had possession.

2 weeks to wait till next rounds :(

Scotland v Wales this afternoon - can't wait, hoping for a belter of a game

Oh it was. Brutal none stop.

Very good 1st half for Wales, but Scotland dominated the 2nd half...

Come on Ireland

Great to see Scotland get that result and well deserved. From the first half I thought Wales would win but what a second half.

Looking forward to Ireland v France.

Dave

I really don't think that Howley is a long term prospect for the Welsh coaching position.

Reactions: mex
Certainly hope not. I think some of the Welsh players who were on the 'Possibles' list for the Lions tour have been crossed off too.

Well done Scotland and Ireland, come on England (y)

Superb first half from Italy. Great tactics. Thought this would have been a 100 pointer before the game!

Superb first half from Italy. Great tactics. Thought this would have been a 100 pointer before the game!

Yes, they've def got 1 up over England and confusing them. See what 2nd half brings after talks in dressing room on how to manage them...

Bill McLaren will be turning in his grave at the standard of this commentary.

Reactions: BBR
Really enjoyed the game :clap: & the Italian tactics & the ref's entertainment :)

Bit rich Eddie Jones saying it wasn't a game of rugby because of the tactics that Italy employed when England stared to do the same in the second half.

I didn't realise Matt Dawson was such a wally.
Technically he is correct. However I think all credit to Italy for finding a way to stay in the game. Why England didn't work out to pick up and drive until the second half I don't know.
In the amateur era international sides were full of lawyers doctors etc may of whom could actually read, and had read and understood the Rugby Law Manual.

Can anybody explain the non-ruck outrage to me? When Ireland came up with the choke tackle as a way to exploit the maul rules it was a genius piece of tactics that turned the game on its head. When Italy come up with a similar cunning exploit (coached by, um, an Irishman....) it's all kinds of wrong and ruining the game. And if we'd been watching a typical underdog film then it would have been the genius act of a maverick coach who made his minnows defeat the giants.

2 observations about yesterday's game:

1. England were very very lucky that Italy used this tactic in the first half and not the second. If they had gone all out to stay in touch by "conventional" means for the first half and then revealed it in the first breakdown of the second it could actually have been a different result.

2. All the furore over a novel tactic means that people aren't discussing an interesting fact about the first half - England were terrible. Not only could they not cope with a novel tactic (which apparently has been used in the Southern hemisphere for years) but they gave away penalties, fumbled the ball and generally kicked it badly. Then in the second half they hit on the remarkable tactic of picking up the ball and running at the opposition with it and it all sort of came good.

Win ugly used to be the England motto. Now they start crying when somebody else gives it a go.

Technically he is correct. However I think all credit to Italy for finding a way to stay in the game. Why England didn't work out to pick up and drive until the second half I don't know.
In the amateur era international sides were full of lawyers doctors etc may of whom could actually read, and had read and understood the Rugby Law Manual.
Who is correct? @desf or Matt Dawson? Dawson was IMHO incorrect, Italy played within the rules,England did not know the rules .@desf is correct.

Well, MD is correct because Italy can't compete at top international level, look at their record. They did not break the laws with their tactics but it did 'spoil' the game. International Rugby needs to be a spectacle, the original rucking laws were changed to make it so. However I think JD's comments are also fair, Italy knew they had to come up with something different to avoid a whitewash.

Edit to add, in rugby the 'rules' are called laws.

Last edited:
Reactions: mex
.......They did not break the laws with their tactics but it did 'spoil' the game.......

I really enjoyed it!,it was made a whole lot more exciting for the neutral, it would have just been another stream-roller display had Italy played their usual game. The only game that was spoiled was Engand's, they were clueless in dealing with it until the half-time .

Loved to see Scotland have a good win but wtf were those England players about questioning the rules of the game live on tv?
Really unprofessional , at any level a player should know the rules inside out, I thought it was embarrassing for the sport and the ref' certainly won out with his quip.

What a great sport though, love it.

I thought what Italy tried was very clever, as it's always going to be difficult for them to win using conventional tactics. By doing something that the opposition were unlikely to have practiced for they gave themselves a chance while England (who were in any case all over the shop in the first half) sorted out how to counter it. Once they did, and eliminated the unforced errors, the game went the way one might have expected.

And isn't it supposed to be football where there are endless arguments about the offside law? :p .

Can anybody explain the non-ruck outrage to me?
Easy. THEY out-smarted and embarrassed US. That's why it's outrageous.
England were very very lucky that Italy used this tactic in the first half and not the second. If they had gone all out to stay in touch by "conventional" means for the first half and then revealed it in the first breakdown of the second it could actually have been a different result.
Ooh, good point. That would have been very interesting.

Back