6 nations photography restrictions @ Aviva question

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to my first rugby match in a few weeks, Ireland v Scotland at the Aviva stadium Dublin, I can't find any info on photography restrictions and was hoping to bring my SLR with 70-300 lens in the hope of getting some shots. Can anyone tell me what the story is regarding cameras at an event like this? I see plenty of amateur games being shot here but don't want to end up having my camera confiscated through not knowing the rules.. Don't intend selling the pics, just a keepsake of what should be a good day.

I've looked for the same info as going to the Wales vs Italy game, for the millennium stadium rules they show the article below:

9. Unauthorized photography at the Stadium or the use of recording equipment is prohibited. No audio, audio visual or cinematographic devices shall be brought into the Stadium.

I think I'll be leaving the camera at home and enjoying a few drinks without worrying about ruining the camera on the day. Personally if going to enjoy the event leave the camera at home, enjoy the atmosphere in town before and after the game and have a few bevvies :)

Appreciate your post, I'm confused as to what is allowed as each stadium seems to have differing rules, when I googled it the only info I could find was from the Twickenham stadium rules which state: Except for photography for bona fide private non-commercial uses, the possession or operation of recording or transmission equipment of any kind is prohibited within the Stadium. This includes without limitation photography, filming, audio or other recording or transmission, or the compilation or transmission of data, save with the specific authorisation of the RFU, such authorisation is hereby given in respect of photography for bona fide private non-commercial uses unless and until the RFU notifies otherwise. Private single lens reflex (SLR) cameras will be allowed in the stadium providing they are not equipped with a lens of such a size that it may cause a nuisance to other spectators

My personal viewpoint on this is your likely not going to be in a position to get great photos of the action for personal use or not, so if I was going to take any lens it would be a wide angle to get some stadium shots and photos of you and who ever your with assuming your not going on your own...as they'll make far better memories of the time...

Plus camera plus a telephoto is a lot of camera in a place where you'll be knocked into, in a tight spot etc not to mention you'll end up spending more time concentrating on getting the odd photo and not actually enjoying the match and soaking up the atmosphere of the stadium/match

The seats we have are pretty close to the pitch-side so that's why I was thinking SLR with zoom lens, I've now messaged the Aviva on facebook so I'll see what they say if they come back at all

Ah never mind, Pete. Have a pint of Guiness for me. Wish I could be there.:(

Just had this reply from the Aviva Facebook page: Hi Pete, thanks for your message. Our stewards/security operate to a 75mm/3 inch lens length for cameras, lenses should be no longer than this measurement when fully extended so as not to impede the view of others sitting nearby. Generally cameras should be personal / family style cameras intended for personal use only and only so long as their usage doesn't impact on other fans. We hope that this helps and look forward to welcoming you for our opening RBS 6 Nations game. If you require any further assistance don’t hesitate to let us know.
So looks like I can bring a compact at least! :)

Bring whatever camera you wish, everyone else will do the same so don't worry about it. It mightn't be technically allowed but nobody ever seems to care.

What I would recommend though is to leave the camera at home and enjoy the game :)

Went to Twickers 2 years ago to see the Ba Bas play, I was also worried about taking my gear in, however I took my 7D a 300mm lens & monopod and had no problems what so ever, but you do become remote from the game.

Forgot about this thread! just for anyone who wants to know in future I brought a bridge camera but it was pretty grim to use, shots weren't worth having, I could easily have brought in my SLR and nobody would have cared but yeah I agree with the above, better just to enjoy the match and forget it, we won anyway so it was a good day :)

Back