60D or 7D

L

LovesRaptors

Hi all, thinking of a camera upgrade I shoot wild life and birds and I would like some feed back from anyone with experience with any of these Camera's would it be the 60D or the 7D....:shrug:

John

No experience of either, but the 7D is built for wildlife and birds due to its autofocus system...

Funnily enough I have been looking at the same 2 cameras for a walk around camera, so I'll follow this.
At the moment I don't think the 7d has enough extra for the price difference, but I'm still not convinced (going to borrow a 7d tomorrow and try it).

At the moment I don't think the 7d has enough extra for the price difference, but I'm still not convinced (going to borrow a 7d tomorrow and try it).

7D has an autofocus that is likely to work, and both have the same overcrowded sensor. That makes 7D significantly less inferior. The price of 60D is much worse considering what it has on the paper.

I had a play with a 60D in Jessops this evening, and I would stick with my 7D without a doubt. It feels better and the AF is superior, for wildlife/birds it has to be the 7D (just look how many of the guys in the wildlife & birds forums use it, that should tell you something....)

Steve

Assuming the price of the 7D isn't an issue, do you really need to ask? :shrug:

The 7D is an excellent birding camera. Cropped from a shot with a Sigma 150-500 with a 1.4 attached

IMG_3223.jpg

7D has an autofocus that is likely to work, and both have the same overcrowded sensor. That makes 7D significantly less inferior. The price of 60D is much worse considering what it has on the paper.

Sadly thats not what I'm hearing, my local dealer has had to return all the 7d's he's sold so far (4) all with focusing faults.

Decide on what features you want from a camera and that will point you in the right direction.

There's lots of threads in various forums about people having problems with the Af on the 7D.I'd put money on that the majority of them are down to user error.The problem with cams like the 7D is that they are affordable and people read about the "exellent AF system" and other hyped aspects of the camera.You then get a lot of people buying them thinking that the camera will perform miracles for them and then blame the camera when it doesn't.
The 60D and 7D are both good cameras but both also have faults.Both would be a massive step up from the 1000D in terms of usability.The only real advantage of the 60D over the 7D imo is the articulating screen.If that is important to you get the 60D.If not,the 7D is the better camera.

Gary

Bear in mind that the 60D is dropping in price like a stone at the moment...grey imports are already nearly £400.00 cheaper than the grey import 7D. Whilst the 7D is clearly the better camera, the price difference (which simply wasn't there before) has to at least make it a consideration now.

I think you can buy the most fantastic camera body but if you don't have the lens to match there is no point buying an expensive body in my opinion.

So as I did back in March, I opted for 50D and have rather put the extra cash into a good lens. If money was no object then def go for the 7D and a collection of great lenses.

Good luck choosing

Decide on what features you want from a camera and that will point you in the right direction.

There's lots of threads in various forums about people having problems with the Af on the 7D.I'd put money on that the majority of them are down to user error.The problem with cams like the 7D is that they are affordable and people read about the "exellent AF system" and other hyped aspects of the camera.You then get a lot of people buying them thinking that the camera will perform miracles for them and then blame the camera when it doesn't.
The 60D and 7D are both good cameras but both also have faults.Both would be a massive step up from the 1000D in terms of usability.The only real advantage of the 60D over the 7D imo is the articulating screen.If that is important to you get the 60D.If not,the 7D is the better camera.

Gary
This is not user error, some lens won't focus at all, some others are a lot out, we are talking about experienced dealers testing the cameras after complaints not beginners who don't know what they are doing.

For some reason that dealer must have a rogue batch of 7D's.What are the odds on only selling 4 x 7D's and everyone of them having a faulty af.I don't think that's a sign that the 7D suffers from af issues.If that fail rate was the norm for the 7D nobody would be using one.They would all be sitting on a desk back at Canon waiting to be fixed.

Gary

For some reason that dealer must have a rogue batch of 7D's.What are the odds on only selling 4 x 7D's and everyone of them having a faulty af.I don't think that's a sign that the 7D suffers from af issues.If that fail rate was the norm for the 7D nobody would be using one.They would all be sitting on a desk back at Canon waiting to be fixed.

Gary

Maybe, but there are lots of other reports of 7d focus errors on the web, and lets face it Canon does have history with focusing issues on several past models. Personally I wouldn't right off the reports too soon.

Maybe, but there are lots of other reports of 7d focus errors on the web, and lets face it Canon does have history with focusing issues on several past models. Personally I wouldn't right off the reports too soon.

Saying that every single 10D all the way to 60D have inadequate AF. They should all be in Canon service, but they aren't.
Nikon D40/D60 also have another excellent AF implementation. They aren't back either.:shrug:

The infamous 1D mkIII actually performs incredibly well in my hands. There must be something wrong WITH ME then :LOL:

This is not user error, some lens won't focus at all, some others are a lot out, we are talking about experienced dealers testing the cameras after complaints not beginners who don't know what they are doing.

That's interesting. I intend buying a new 7D from a shop in the near future.

Obviously it's vital that the AF is spot on, do you think the shop would let me put my lens (400mm 5.6L) on the body to test it?

That's interesting. I intend buying a new 7D from a shop in the near future.

Obviously it's vital that the AF is spot on, do you think the shop would let me put my lens (400mm 5.6L) on the body to test it?

If they won't let you test your own lens on a brand new £1000.00 camera, then I'd buy elsewhere!!

Go for the 7D mate you won't regret it i had one of the first in the country and i was so impressed with it i bought a second ask Rich u8myufo or Cedric CT
they both have them as well. I must know 20 people at least with 7d's and i have'nt heard one complaint when you have got your head around the AF system on the camera.
The lenses i use
Canon 600mm f4 i.s
Canon 300mm F2.8 i.s
Canon 300mm f4 i.s
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 i.s
Canon 70-200mm f4 i.s
Canon 24-70 f2.8
Sigma 17-40mm f4
Canon 24-105 F4 i.s
Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon 85mm F1.8
Canon 28mm F2.8
I could go on i have never had a issue with any of these lenses not focusing
On either body look in my gallery on TP
I make 50% of my living from photography so would i buy a camera that did'nt work i think not

This guy has written quite a bit on setting up the 7d and i would go along with most of what he's Put

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2009/12/setting-up-your-new-canon-7d/

Regards
Richard

Last edited:
As I only shoot birds that are either very still or just happen to fly into shot focus speed isn't a priority or me but the 60D screen is a nice feature that I'd use, and it is tempting.

On other forums the 7D forcus issue still rages on but there doesn't seem to be a peep about 60D focus issues, in fact everyone seems to be saying that they can't fault it and some are saying that lenses that were way out on the 7D are spot on on the 60D.

Even the much talked about 7D banding is reportedly cured on the 60D.

So, for possibly less or no banding and as bird shooters seemed to manage before the 7D came out I wonder if the 60D would be a good choice given it's initial almost complete lack of issues?

On other forums the 7D forcus issue still rages on but there doesn't seem to be a peep about 60D focus issues, in fact everyone seems to be saying that they can't fault it and some are saying that lenses that were way out on the 7D are spot on on the 60D.

Even the much talked about 7D banding is reportedly cured on the 60D.

So, for possibly less or no banding and as bird shooters seemed to manage before the 7D came out I wonder if the 60D would be a good choice given it's initial almost complete lack of issues?

Until all the super picky 7D owners on DPreview buy one and start pulling it to bits LOL.

I've just read a report from a guy complaining about the banding on the 7D.Apparently he has to underexpose by 4 stops and bring it back in pp to see it.Unbelievable!

I will say that you do have to be careful with your exposures on the 7D.The files do start to fall apart if you start to mess about with them.Much more than on any other Canon camera that I have used.

Gary

I liked this comment on photo.net about this 7D focus issue:

"The day the dpreview.com forums represents a statistically significant sampling of camera owners is the day light stops obeying the laws of physics..."

People go on about banding something else i have not experienced. Mind you i am critical about exposure you can't afford to get your metering wrong at a weddings and blow the Brides dress. Im more interested to see how many actual 7d owners on this forum are going to say theirs are crap

Regards
Richard

So i have 2 and happy with both 2 votes from an actual owner

Last edited:
I also have the 7D and use it for Aviation and motorsport with the occassional studio/portrait session and cannot fault the autofocus and certainly don't have any banding issues.

Saying that every single 10D all the way to 60D have inadequate AF. They should all be in Canon service, but they aren't.
Nikon D40/D60 also have another excellent AF implementation. They aren't back either.:shrug:

The infamous 1D mkIII actually performs incredibly well in my hands. There must be something wrong WITH ME then :LOL:

Eh???

Thank you all for your view's and Richard (y) I think I would listen to you m8 TY

John

Thank you all for your view's and Richard (y) I think I would listen to you m8 TY

John

It takes a while to get use to but the link i posted will help you get your head round it. The AF is considerably faster on the 7D over the 60d so the 7D is better for birds in flight . If you look on the Bird Forum there are a lot of people now using the 7D. I hope this info helps if you want i can send you sequences of shots taken with the 7D all sharp no auto focus issues but quality glass does help with the AF
Regards
Richard

Hi all, thinking of a camera upgrade I shoot wild life and birds and I would like some feed back from anyone with experience with any of these Camera's would it be the 60D or the 7D....:shrug:
John
Based on specification the 7d is technically the better camera for what you want. The real question is whether or not the premium you pay for it over the 60d is worth it for you, and only you can decide that. Personally I decided that for me it wasn't worth the extra money and went for the 60d, but then I'm not into BIF so I don't need the 7d AF system.

So far I have absolutely no regrets about my decision.

People go on about banding something else i have not experienced. Mind you i am critical about exposure you can't afford to get your metering wrong at a weddings and blow the Brides dress. Im more interested to see how many actual 7d owners on this forum are going to say theirs are crap

Regards
Richard

So i have 2 and happy with both 2 votes from an actual owner

The only issue I have with my 7D is that I tend to under expose shots more often than I would like. I don't have any issues with the focusing, and I think that the exposure "problem" is probably down to user error more than anything else.

Steve

I don't think that all of the 7D problems are just user error as Canon seem to have learned from the experience and improved ISO and banding issues at least a little with the xxxD (I forget the model number of the 18mb xxxD) and then a bit more again with the 60D.

A grab shot with a canon 600mm f4 lens hand held at iso 2000 at f4 the light was quite poor i took 3 images all sharp with the adult coming in. Please note i have cropped the image and no noise software has been used i think this shows the autofocus is very good on the 7D it's not the best shot i know but shot at f4 it's sharp where it needs to be

Regards

Richard

Richard, with respect that picture seems to show quite a bit of noise in the defuse areas. It's something that I've noticed before and it does worry me that my current and quite old 20D seems to be better in this respect than Canons latest offerings.

These are whole images with no noise reduction and to my eyes they and other shots I've taken at ISO 800 don't show the degree of grain that 7D's seem to.

f801.jpg

f800.jpg

Back