60D or 7D?

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to upgrade from my 40D, but still have a crop sensor body. I think I should be looking at purchasing a 7D....but is there any reason (other than price) to look at the 60D instead? Cost isn't an issue here with these two but I couldn't justify going up to a 1d whatever mark it was;) ...it's quality I want at a sensible price. I shall be using it mainly for wildlife shots and I do have some quality glass.

Incidently....does anyone know .....is there an upgrade to the 7D around the corner??

Thanks.

The key things the 7D has over the 60D are a better focussing system and lens microadjust. The sensor/processor is the same (well, the 7D has 2 which are just used for more speed), so if you can get focus correct on the 60D, it will produce the same photos as the 7D.

...is there an upgrade to the 7D around the corner??...

There's always an upgrade around the corner- it just depends how long that corner is:LOL:. For the 7D- likely 2012 but who really knows outside of Canon management.

At some point you just put a stake in the ground and decide if the camera will do what you want it to or whether you need to skip a generation.

There's always an upgrade around the corner- it just depends how long that corner is:LOL:. For the 7D- likely 2012 but who really knows outside of Canon management.

At some point you just put a stake in the ground and decide if the camera will do what you want it to or whether you need to skip a generation.

Does the 7d really need upgrading. serious question what is wrong with the current 7d? Nothing.

only thing it could do with is a FF sensor but thats likely to be done on the 5dmk3 i.e take the 7d's AF system and slap it on the mk3.

Get the 7d mate. u wont regret it. there is a far bigger jump in terms of camera features from xxd to a 7d then a xxd to a newer xxd.

Handling wise, you may find the 60d not as nice as the 40d, some fairly key control systems were left out of the 60d that were in previous xxd bodies. Just something else to consider.

I upgraded to a 600d recently, the more I read the posts on here the more I feel I should have bought the 7d
thanks guys lol

rebel, if u had the money for a 7d, imo you should have upgraded to that. what body did u have previosuly? if it was a older xxxd or xxxxd then the difference would have been minimal, this is why anyone upgrading from xxxd should IMO look for a xxd or 7d.

i currently have a 400d and you would be hard pressed to find much features your camera has over mine mate.

I had the 400d just fancied some video and the flippy outy twiddly screen and live view
I had also decided that I needed to upgrade the kit lens
so I bought the efs 17-55 IS usm f2.8 which is only a couple of hundred short of the price of a 7d
couldn't justify a 7d and the lens

I upgraded to a 600d recently, the more I read the posts on here the more I feel I should have bought the 7d
thanks guys lol
The 600D and 7D share the same sensor and metering system. Unless you need/want the features the 7D has over the 600D (which can be summarised as better focus system, faster fps, better viewfinder, microadjust, magnesium alloy chassis) the 600D will serve you very well :)

The 600D and 7D share the same sensor and metering system. Unless you need/want the features the 7D has over the 600D (which can be summarised as better focus system, faster fps, better viewfinder, microadjust, magnesium alloy chassis) the 600D will serve you very well :)

I did check all the spec differences so went for the 600d
however the 7d would make my willy look bigger :LOL:

I went for a 7d from a 40d and it's awesome. Got mine for 875 brand new

I also jumped from 40D to 7D and share the same opinion. BTW, where did you get one of these for £875 if you don't mind me asking?

I'm thinking of a similar upgrade for my 450D... Ideally I'd like 5DmkII, but my wallet may not cope with that yet... so I'm tempted to go 60D and forgo the fast focussing of the 7D and use the leftover funds toward a lens instead.... (having said that, for £875 I could go for it!!)

60D also has the tilt-screen, which might be useful if you're likely to be using for video.

You can compare on the Canon site:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/com.../for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/

For the most part they're pretty much the same - the 7D just being superior mainly on the focusing and speed, and some smaller tecchy specs. Oh, and it's compact flash memory.

(Not sure the link to the comparison thing works - just go to the Canon site and you can select to compare...)

Last edited:
i missed the fact that the 600d was sd as my 400d is cf as is the 7d so i didn't factor that in to my cost related decision
feeling more and more I may have made a mistake bummer

If you didn't shoot a whole lot of sport or wildlife, but mainly portaiture, landscapes, street photography etc would you consider the 7D or stick with the 60D as an upgrade from the 400D? I suppose the impressive AF on the 7D would be useful when shooting moving children? Both bodies would be paired with the 17-55 2.8IS and 70-200 F4IS.

Please dont mention the 5D - it has to be a brand new body with a budget of £1000.

Last edited:
i missed the fact that the 600d was sd as my 400d is cf as is the 7d so i didn't factor that in to my cost related decision
feeling more and more I may have made a mistake bummer

That's a major reason to go for the 7D. I have so much invested in CF cards, why would I want to start again with SD? I thought that was slightly mad of Canon.

Perhaps im a dinosaur but i always think of sd cards as used in little compacts. Are they as reliable?

Perhaps im a dinosaur but i always think of sd cards as used in little compacts. Are they as reliable?
Yes, just not as quick. You want 7D burst rates, you need CF...

why would I want to start again with SD? I thought that was slightly mad of Canon.

Think they aimed the 60D as an upgrade from the xxxD range which already used SD cards and wanted existing xxD owners with CF to buy the 7D.

Quite clever marketing really and probably why they went for the polycarbonate body on the 60D thereby hoping that would encourage the xxD owners to spend that much more for the metal bodied 7D

Think they aimed the 60D as an upgrade from the xxxD range which already used SD cards and wanted existing xxD owners with CF to buy the 7D.

Quite clever marketing really and probably why they went for the polycarbonate body on the 60D thereby hoping that would encourage the xxD owners to spend that much more for the metal bodied 7D

That makes more sense. I wouldnt want to fumble with teeny sd cards in the cold and wet ...

I think media is too cheap to let it influence a major purchase of circa £1k or even £500 . Certainly wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the camera I wanted was that good in my eyes but meant a media change.

the 400d I upgraded was CF not sd

what made me go for the 7D is the all Magnesium Alloy body and the fact it is slightly better weather sealed than the 60d not as good as the 1D (I can dream). This was a big selling point to me as most of the time I'm out in the elements and dont always want to stop shooting if its a little damp.

the 19 focus points are great for macro and once you set the customer functions up chasing a bug around the focus spots wont take long

arad85 said:
450D onwards yes.. ;)

And upgrading from a previous xxd body

Generally speaking, yes.

CF cards don't fall apart like several SD cards I have owned. Surely anyone spending £600+ on a DSLR should not be worried about forking out a few extra quid for decent storage.

jonneymendoza said:
So why bother with SD cards then? im certain 7d's 8fps cant keep up with many CF cards let alone a SD CARD!!!:bonk:

Most cards will be more than capable of 8fps, the camera buffer will just empty quicker with faster cards.

The reason behind the change to sd cards (so goes current thinking) is due to what some see as Canon's "dumbing down" of the xxd range - ie, key features of the 50d were left out, micro adjust, cf to sd card, plastic body as opposed to mag alloy, no rear joystick control etc, things that made the xxd pro-sumer.

The 60d was thought as an upgrade to xxxd owners, but not existing 40 or 50d owners, and some see the path from 40 or 50d to 60d as a downgrade, and as the 60d is aimed more at people upgrading from xxxd bodies sd cards made more sense to them.

Last edited:
I've got the 7 which I made the jump from the 40 and my pals just bought a 60 last week.

Without a shadow of doubt, I prefer the 7.

I don't like the fold out screen, and the buttons don't sit comfortably with me. I'm sure it would get better with usage, but I wasn't overly fond.

I prefer the overal size of the 7 as well.

imo the sd cards are used due to their small size for these smaller cameras

While the tech specs are still high, I do feel the 60D took a step back in build quality. Or that's how it felt to me.

It's more akin to where the 450 was when the 40 was still in production just with a better spec.

Personally, I think they make too many models..

Back