70-200 f2.8 portraiture showcase thread

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
70-200 f2.8 portraiture showcase thread,

I've recently ordered the canon mkii version of this lens, but unfortunately I don't get it till Monday, so I'm buzzing about it, hence the reason I thought of starting this thread, I've already trawled the flickr groups and there are some great photos but obviously there not all portraits, I'm interested if others are willing to share portraiture taken with this lens whether it be out with the family, location shoots, at a wedding or even in the studio but keeping it on the theme of portraits, so I can use them as inspiration to help improve my own portraiture and maybe others who are interested. It would be good if those who post could include there camera settings to :)

Ahh that 'new gear' coming feeling. Enjoy it when it comes!

Tash by ACW#, on Flickr

80mm
f/3.2

Wanted to try and get one at around 135mm but she didn't want to stay in the rape for long as she was getting the yellow stuff all over her!

I just love the mixture of that focal length with that nice wide aperture. Someone here was kind enough to let me borrow it so I was just having a play around (won't name them in case they don't want me to). Can't wait to get my hands on my own one :)

Last edited:
ACW said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/messymacro/6987623410/
Tash by ACW#, on Flickr

80mm
f/3.2

Wanted to try and get one at around 135mm but she didn't want to stay in the rape for long as she was getting the yellow stuff all over her!

I just love the mixture of that focal length with that nice wide aperture. Someone here was kind enough to let me borrow it so I was just having a play around (won't name them in case they don't want me to). Can't wait to get my hands on my own one :)

Nice, great bokeh, this is the sort of thing I was looking for. Why did you want to try and shoot at 135mm was that to do a comparison with 135mm F2L

Nice, great bokeh, this is the sort of thing I was looking for. Why did you want to try and shoot at 135mm was that to do a comparison with 135mm F2L

Thank you :) and pretty much yes. 80mm isn't a million miles away from the good old nifty fifty. In an ideal world I'd love the 135 f/2, 70-200 f/2.8 and the 85 f/1.2, but I currently have 0 of those atm!

When you start hitting 100mm plus it really does change the look of the image though. I'm sure someone will be along soon with some! I'm just amazed for a zoom how sharp it is, it's one of those things you don't quite believe until you use it!

Mines a Sigma lol

I have the Mk1 version, dont point at peoples faces though, they may be Nikon owners, cant take that risk with top glass. :D

Hope someone can give you a sensible answer. :)

The Nikon 70 - 200 f2.8 is pretty much all i use for portraits these days. Sometimes i put the 50 on for headshots but the 70-200 is an amazing portrait lens.

Here is one example - Nothing special just happened to be the image i had open on my page at that moment.

gill-craig.JPG

Last edited:
I dont usually use my Canon 70-200mm f2.8 for portraits, but after a hair shoot on Sunday, we went outside for a bit of a mess around, so I used it to shoot the girls on a bridge... disaster as it was too busy.
Came back inside, started packing away, and one of the hair models flopped onto the bed.
This is a crop, but not posed at all, my back was right up against the wall as I took the shot in the small room, natural light, 1000iso.

Laura Mariead by InaGlo, on Flickr​

Hi I dont own this lens but a guy at our camera club as a Canon 70 200 2.8 and it is a huge beast looks something like you see at the side of a football pitch, is this the lens you are talking about?

Gaz

Hi I dont own this lens but a guy at our camera club as a Canon 70 200 2.8 and it is a huge beast looks something like you see at the side of a football pitch, is this the lens you are talking about?

Gaz

Yeah, it's a pretty white Hand Cannon. Very versatile lens.

Tash by ACW#, on Flickr

80mm
f/3.2

How did I miss this thread!? I wondered where you had put the picture. Glad you enjoyed the lens :)

I really like this. I think I might have preferred her standing a little to the side and not looking directly at you but saying that I do like it

How did I miss this thread!? I wondered where you had put the picture. Glad you enjoyed the lens :)

I really like this. I think I might have preferred her standing a little to the side and not looking directly at you but saying that I do like it

Thanks Kelly, I can see what you mean about a change in pose! Probably was too busy drooling over your lens rather than composing my shot properly! Was so glad when my one arrived this week!

Here's another for the thread from the 70-200, I think the pose in this is a bit stronger?

Emily by ACW#, on Flickr

Last edited:
A £1,500 lens and not one decent photo on this thread. Seriously, get your priorities right guys.

A £1,500 lens
^ It's not £1500

not one decent photo on(in) this thread
^ Rather than being unhelpful, why not tell us what you don't like about the images so we can improve. But looking at your other thread you don't really take critique too well.

Seriously, get your priorities right guys.
^ My priorities are right. I take pictures because:
1. I enjoy it.
2. It gives me more money to spend on lenses which I enjoy using.
3. I enjoy it.
999. Because I care what people with poor attitudes like yourself think.

Most people on here take pictures because they enjoy doing so, they post pictures knowing that people might not like them, but a useful explanation on why they don't can help them improve.

Just had a quick look at some of your other posts. You're a bit of a /something that will get me suspended/ aren't you.

Just what I was thinking, typical unhelpful noob attitude :wacky:

With regards to the above comments - why would anyone spend a small fortune on a lens and then produce camera phone quality photos? Sell the lens, go to college, I did.

That's one infraction given to DaydreamJay. Next comment like that earns him a suspension.

Come on Jason lets have your expert advice on how the images could be improved rather than just pointless insults. There are some great shots on here

Hi,

I've just got my first ever DSLR , a Nikon D3100 . Could anybody advice on what's the best lens for portraits and if I can get anything good out of a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G lens (if I can take some portraits with that lens) ?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Cristina

Really like some of the shots on this thread, keep them coming
Dont really understand the camera phone comments

Christina, the 18-55 is a fine starter lens which will let you get a feel for what you enjoy shooting. Try a few portraits at 35mm then a few at 55mm, then when you see what you like, I'd suggest getting a prime lens. I got a 35mm f1.8 for under £170 new and its a
wee cracker, I think the 50mm equivelant is slightly cheaper
If you hang around here long enough, you'll get access to the classifieds and you can get a nice bargain, usually from genuine people, with honest info on condition etc (as opposed to fleabay or gumtree)
if you go on flickr, you can search 50mm /35mm prime portraits to see whats achievable, theres also a d3100 club and various groups you can join/ share

Thank you Bruce, that's very helpful. Hope I'll come back with some good photos for critiques soon . :)

Jayst84 said:
Just had a quick look at some of your other posts. You're a bit of a /something that will get me suspended/ aren't you.

Muppet?

I like the images, especially the one of the lady on the train. Isn't the expression beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Last edited:
Come on Jason lets have your expert advice on how the images could be improved rather than just pointless insults. There are some great shots on here

Are there? Which one?

Give a guy a camera and he's a photographer, give a guy a violin and he's just a guy with a violin.

Why on earth pay so much money for a lens that you don't know how to use?

292135_10150846456241313_588166312_9640242_1958555927_n.jpg

Girl in her bedroom. Natural light balanced in from fill from a single speedlight through softbox to her right. A warm up shot before taking her into the studio.

No Photoshop.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, having viewed the file history there is a contrast adjustment lol

Are there? Which one?

Give a guy a camera and he's a photographer, give a guy a violin and he's just a guy with a violin.

Why on earth pay so much money for a lens that you don't know how to use?

For a start, Glo, Paul and Dave's are better than anything you've posted on the forum. (Not that you have to shoot good work to offer an opinion on a photo of course, no matter how inelegantly you put that opinion across).

Secondly, why on Earth do you care what people spend their money on? You seem to have spent a couple of years and a fair bit of cash on studying photography, yet from all the evidence so far, you're not a very good photographer, and have an attitude that would see a business last about five minutes. That's up to you though, I'm not going to tell you to go and ask for a refund on your courses. (y)

No, he'd be a guy with a camera, he starts taking pictures then he's a photographer - just like a violinist though; it's not to say he's very good. You learn to play as you learn to shoot. Practice.

People contributing in a positive way might not be the equivalent of Vivaldi, with the right attitude and aspirations they could be.
7299341476_0f6468db91_c.jpg

One from me taken on the 70-200 f4

For a start, Glo, Paul and Dave's are better than anything you've posted on the forum. (Not that you have to shoot good work to offer an opinion on a photo of course, no matter how inelegantly you put that opinion across).

Secondly, why on Earth do you care what people spend their money on? You seem to have spent a couple of years and a fair bit of cash on studying photography, yet from all the evidence so far, you're not a very good photographer, and have an attitude that would see a business last about five minutes. That's up to you though, I'm not going to tell you to go and ask for a refund on your courses. (y)

Well the only stuff I have posted on the forum is pretty much snapshots or stuff I did ages ago. I am not here to say I am better than anyone else - that is not me at all. I am striving to make a point that education is far better than buying expensive gear. That is my philosophy, you may disagree, that is your prerogative.

Back