70-200 f2.8 portraiture showcase thread

No, he'd be a guy with a camera, he starts taking pictures then he's a photographer - just like a violinist though; it's not to say he's very good. You learn to play as you learn to shoot. Practice.

People contributing in a positive way might not be the equivalent of Vivaldi, with the right attitude and aspirations they could be.
7299341476_0f6468db91_c.jpg

One from me taken on the 70-200 f4

I have actually never seen anything in real life that is that bright green. My eyes are hurting... great shot of the dog though!!

Yeh, I'm a fan of bright colours - here's the original.
7339870246_4159c9a13f_c.jpg

DaydreamJay said:
Well the only stuff I have posted on the forum is pretty much snapshots or stuff I did ages ago. I am not here to say I am better than anyone else - that is not me at all. I am striving to make a point that education is far better than buying expensive gear. That is my philosophy, you may disagree, that is your prerogative.

If you're a fan of education, why aren't you offering advice?

DaydreamJay said:
Well the only stuff I have posted on the forum is pretty much snapshots or stuff I did ages ago. I am not here to say I am better than anyone else - that is not me at all. I am striving to make a point that education is far better than buying expensive gear. That is my philosophy, you may disagree, that is your prerogative.

Why don't you show us something that isn't a snap shot then?

Think I already know the answer...

That is my philosophy, you may disagree, that is your prerogative.

Then either make your point politely, with respect and thought for your fellow members. Or don't make it at all.

I love it when someone slates other peoples work and then posts something terrible of there own. Makes me smile.

I also love the whole its just a snap excuse.

Last edited:
With regards to the above comments - why would anyone spend a small fortune on a lens and then produce camera phone quality photos? Sell the lens, go to college, I did.

yeah but it didn't help you did it.

For a start, Glo, Paul and Dave's are better than anything you've posted on the forum. (Not that you have to shoot good work to offer an opinion on a photo of course, no matter how inelegantly you put that opinion across).

Secondly, why on Earth do you care what people spend their money on? You seem to have spent a couple of years and a fair bit of cash on studying photography, yet from all the evidence so far, you're not a very good photographer, and have an attitude that would see a business last about five minutes. That's up to you though, I'm not going to tell you to go and ask for a refund on your courses. (y)

Well said.

Daydreamjay clearly suffers from jealousy ALOT.

Let's not allow the thread to descend into a character assassination here guys, :nono:

:)

....think you missed the 't out , Andy!

Heather

hehe oh yes thanks for pointing that out. Dont want him thinking it was praise.

We all get our focus out on shots it happens, but dont slag off others work and then post a soft image as an example of how amazing you are.

Let's not allow the thread to descend into a character assassination here guys, :nono:

:)

You are right. Very sorry.

Well done to all the people who have posted some great shots on here.

Does anyone have anymore to share. I am actully just editing some shots from a commercial shoot last week and 90% of them seem to be shot on my 70 - 20 2.8 (Nikon in my case) . Great lens for so many uses.

Last edited:
asphotographymk said:
You are right. Very sorry.

Well done to all the people who have posted some great shots on here.

Does anyone have anymore to share. I am actully just editing some shots from a commercial shoot last week and 90% of them seem to be shot on my 70 - 20 2.8 (Nikon in my case) . Great lens for so many uses.

Any you can share?

Any you can share?

Very boring shoot i am afraid of local hospice nurses. But i will post one up when i get a second. Actually thats not fair it was pretty interesting as i follwed the hospice nurses around shooting candids of them at work but visually not much.

Last edited:
I really like the first image foggy4ever, nice and simple but the composition is spot on in my opinion.

Last edited:
heres one i took last month for a friend of mine took using a sigma 70-200 2.8. :D

20120513-DSC_07872.jpg

Thanks for looking

Any you can share?

Here you go. As i said its local hospice nurses. All shot while they work. The 70-200 came in very handy as i was sitting in on a couple of bereavement counseling sessions so didnt really want to be right in there face.
nurse01.jpg

nurse02.jpg

nurse03.jpg

nurse04.jpg

asphotographymk said:
Here you go. As i said its local hospice nurses. All shot while they work. The 70-200 came in very handy as i was sitting in on a couple of bereavement counseling sessions so didnt really want to be right in there face.

I am unsure if the first one is out of focus, maybe it's this bloody iPad. As for the last image I think that really captures the situation and shows the human side to nurses.

hi andy no 2 and 3 stand out for me nice one. number 2 is pure website or advertising material etc typical caring happy to help facial expression. :)

I am unsure if the first one is out of focus, maybe it's this bloody iPad. As for the last image I think that really captures the situation and shows the human side to nurses.

I think the focus sits on the middle nurse but the DOP is not perfect for the shot so your right. I think having all the nurses sharp would have worked well. Actully i dont think the first shot would have been shot on the 70- 200 more likely at about 28 mm by the looks of the edges. Still part of the set though. :)

The brief was just that, its a hospice for cancer patients and often a place people go to manage there pain during the end of there life so has a bit of a morbid reputation. They asked me to capture some shots of the nurses at work and the hospice in genral that show the warm natural of the hospice.

hi andy no 2 and 3 stand out for me nice one. number 2 is pure website or advertising material etc typical caring happy to help facial expression. :)

Yes, maybe a little to commercial for a hospice do you think? I guess it depends on there use.

Well this one is a planned shot as opposed to a snapshot.

417160_10150594082786313_612025650_n.jpg

The colors and processing are just very odd. I think its also to do with the very random looking lighting. My eyes are really drawn to the wall rather than the subject.

And maybe we need some context on what its all about.

Last edited:
asphotographymk said:
The colors and processing are just very odd. I think its also to do with the very random looking lighting. My eyes are really drawn to the wall rather than the subject.

And maybe we need some context on what its all about.

I have to agree, the light bouncing off of the left hand wall, other than that it's not to bad if a little odd.

I have to agree, the light bouncing off of the left hand wall, other than that it's not to bad if a little odd.

Its a bit of one of them, "i dont get it" type shots. I think its being weird for the sake of being weird so context may help. Its amazing how much the wall reflection draws the eye.

Back